Mosier Mosey, 4-26-2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
payslee

Mosier Mosey, 4-26-2014

Post by payslee » April 28th, 2014, 10:09 am

Last edited by payslee on February 9th, 2015, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

sprengers4jc

Re: Mosier Mosey, 4-26-2014

Post by sprengers4jc » April 28th, 2014, 12:28 pm

Great trip report! Looks like I will have to check out Memaloose asap! By the way, that beautiful butterfly is called a Swallowtail. One of my favorites of all butterflies :D.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

payslee

Post by payslee » April 28th, 2014, 5:12 pm

Thanks for the swallowtail ID - what a beauty! Lots of cool places to check out around here - I was amazed looking across the river and recognizing so many places I'd been, and getting to see their continuum. And Memaloose is just between Rowena and the Mosier plateau, which *also* have public access.
I love being spoiled :-)

have fun out there!
-payslee

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 28th, 2014, 5:21 pm

I think this will be my next, mid-morning, where-the-heck should I go, what-the-heck should I do, today, adventure! Looks like a marvelous get-away! :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » April 29th, 2014, 5:49 am

Excellent TR! Can't have too many photos of places like this. Love that Sound of Music territory.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

chiefWright

Post by chiefWright » April 29th, 2014, 6:14 am

Wow, oh, wow. Beautiful photos and poetry. I discovered Memaloose last year to my deep satisfaction. We are so fortunate.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » April 29th, 2014, 6:51 pm

Lovely pictures. The Audubon's warblers seem to be flitting about the east Gorge in profusion at this time. I've always told myself that "Authorized" sign is to deter hitchhikers from camping up there (There's also a water tank up there that services the campground). If you decided to have the same attitude about the sign, a loop is possible heading up to the viewpoint and then to the top of Marsh Hill, down the back (south) side, where it gets sketchy, to Marsh Cutoff Road, Old Highway for 200 yards, left on marked FR 775, right before that gravel track dips to the trees, pick up a trail down past a waterfall and vast carpets of poison oak, rattlesnake havens, etc. and back to the rest area. Got all that? - Have a go!

Crusak

Post by Crusak » April 29th, 2014, 8:02 pm

Great report! I love the smorgasbord of hiking you did, including the trip to check out the tunnels. I've read about those but never experienced them in person. I also liked the shot of Coyote Wall from the Oregon side.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Etexan

Post by Etexan » May 1st, 2014, 10:04 am

I will be in the gorge next week and would like to visit Memaloose Hills hike on the outskirts of Mosier. Can you give me directions to the trail? I will be staying in White Salmon and see Mosier on the map. It looks like this area would be less crowded than Catherine Creek. Your photographs are beautiful.

Thanks,
East Texan eagerly awaiting a trip to the gorge!

payslee

Post by payslee » May 1st, 2014, 10:56 am

Etexan wrote:I will be in the gorge next week and would like to visit Memaloose Hills hike on the outskirts of Mosier. Can you give me directions to the trail? I will be staying in White Salmon and see Mosier on the map. It looks like this area would be less crowded than Catherine Creek. Your photographs are beautiful.

Thanks,
East Texan eagerly awaiting a trip to the gorge!
Hi ET-

Memaloose will probably have fewer folks, but the Catherine - Coyote area is MUCH larger. It's all good though.

From White Salmon (which is also very beautiful, BTW) you'll cross the bridge to the Oregon side of the River and head just a few miles east on 84. Take exit 69 for Mosier. Continue east through town for 3 miles, there's a small but obvious pullout for "Memloose Viewpoint" on the left.

And you can keep going another 3 miles along that same road, if you want, to the Tom McCall / Rowena trails, which are similar wildflower gardens this time of year.

Enjoy your travels.
-payslee