Another Silver Star Post- Now With Print ID Quiz

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
kepPNW

Re: Another Silver Star Post- Now With Print ID Quiz

Post by kepPNW » April 22nd, 2014, 1:43 pm

forestkeeper wrote::D All cool, thanks! I'm always slipping, sliding and away when I'm on the trails. Especially coming down the "Heartbreak" Ridge trail at Smith Rock State Park near Redmond. After looking like the Trojan Horse on the rolling pebbles, I thought I'd better invest in some of the logger boots with spikes. :roll:
I hate getting on those "marble" runs, too! Elk/Kings, Westway (on Table), etc... Not much you can do, other than just slow down and test each step. :?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

anne37

Post by anne37 » April 22nd, 2014, 2:23 pm

Yep, they're the Speedcross. Good for technical trail running, maybe more than I need. But I'm testing them out because I'm thinking of using them for Asgaard Pass. They are actually a little too aggressive for hard-packed trail (tweaked my knee trailrunning in forest park), but on a muddy Dog and rocky Silver Star they've been really good for mostly just bombing downhill. Also, did not break my leg on the ice at Tam Falls in January. :lol: I got so fed up slip-sliding in my Asolos, I think if I'm below 6,000 ft, I'm wearing trail shoes.

Hagbard Celine

Post by Hagbard Celine » April 23rd, 2014, 8:03 am

anne37 wrote:I got so fed up slip-sliding in my Asolos,
That's wild, I also traded in my Asolos because I did not feel comfortable with their grip and I went with speedcross as well. With enough left over to get Merrell Ventilators for when I want to pretend to have more support. My feet run hot so as spring was kicking in the Asolos were already turning into blister bakers and a change was needed anyway.

I have not tried them in icy conditions, I can't imagine chains of any sort would really work with them so they gave you all the traction you needed even on ice? :shock:
“I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.”
― Booker T. Washington

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 23rd, 2014, 8:50 am

Hagbard Celine wrote:I have not tried them in icy conditions, I can't imagine chains of any sort would really work with them so they gave you all the traction you needed even on ice? :shock:
I've worn microspikes on trail runners (New Balance M880TR), and they worked great.
Karl

jalepeno

Post by jalepeno » April 23rd, 2014, 9:46 am

Anne-
Road 41 has not been bad for cars in the past if you drive slow.
It is gravel and does have potholes.
I'm not sure about this year.
Just watch out for Road 4109 if you change your mind and decide to go to the Silver Star North trailhead.
Deep mud.

Roy-
You must be the resident expert on Silver Star.
I met you on top once with my black and white Siberian husky.
Anyway, have you ever driven up via 4th Plain?
How does that way compute time and simplicity wise?

Hagbard Celine

Post by Hagbard Celine » April 23rd, 2014, 1:02 pm

kepPNW wrote:
Hagbard Celine wrote:I have not tried them in icy conditions, I can't imagine chains of any sort would really work with them so they gave you all the traction you needed even on ice? :shock:
I've worn microspikes on trail runners (New Balance M880TR), and they worked great.

These have a cleat tread though as you can see here, would spikes work on these you think? Or maybe not needed?
“I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.”
― Booker T. Washington

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 23rd, 2014, 1:21 pm

Hagbard Celine wrote:These have a cleat tread though as you can see here, would spikes work on these you think? Or maybe not needed?
Wow!!! Really don't know. They probably would? Metal spikes will almost certainly beat rubber cleats on ice.

EDIT: That's a lot of cleat! What surface(s) do you find that most useful on? When I need maximum grip, it's more something like this:
Karl

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 23rd, 2014, 1:48 pm

So why do Asolos slip?

Are the lugs not deep enough?

Is the rubber too hard so it slips too much against slippery surfaces?

Hagbard Celine

Post by Hagbard Celine » April 23rd, 2014, 2:21 pm

Kep: They seem to excel on every type of terrain, although I have not used them on snow/ice or really rocky areas yet but with Anne37 wearing them on Silverstar I bet they do well there too. When I was researching them before the buy a lot of reviews were mentioning on excellent they perform on mud, specifically several reviewers spoke of using them at "Tough Mudder" races. https://toughmudder.com/

Jerry: For me the rubber seems too hard and slick on wet rocks, busted my hump at Lewis River trying to get in a little too far out for a waterfall photo.

I had a tumble crossing over to the dry spot where I am standing in this photo.

Sorry for hijacking your post Anne, I'll answer any further questions in PM.
― Booker T. Washington

Roy

Post by Roy » April 23rd, 2014, 9:21 pm

jalepeno wrote:Anne-
Road 41 has not been bad for cars in the past if you drive slow.
It is gravel and does have potholes.
I'm not sure about this year.
Just watch out for Road 4109 if you change your mind and decide to go to the Silver Star North trailhead.
Deep mud.

Roy-
You must be the resident expert on Silver Star.
I met you on top once with my black and white Siberian husky.
Anyway, have you ever driven up via 4th Plain?
How does that way compute time and simplicity wise?
No expert I just latch on to hills I find it relaxing repeating trails my mind goes blank or quite. Fourth plain via Livingston would be a nice trip nice homes up there now any one remember the goat lady? Sr -500 to.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura