Another Silver Star Post- Now With Print ID Quiz

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
anne37

Another Silver Star Post- Now With Print ID Quiz

Post by anne37 » April 21st, 2014, 7:56 pm

Quick and dirty hike up Silver Star today to check out conditions. Expansive clear-cutting has made the approach to Grouse even less pleasant than before but at least the potholes are minimal. I'd say the trail is in the awkward in-between stage right now. There's a lot of soft, manageable snow in the trees and not a wildflower in sight. Saw some prints that I think might be my first cougar tracks, maybe someone can confirm for me (below). Too big to be a bobcat, I think, and too splayed out to be a dog. Hung out alone at the top a while, looking at the bottoms of mountains under the approaching rainclouds. Goat Rocks are still solid white with snow. Admired the trail to Little Baldy a bit. Took the opportunity to trail run down, but my legs were a little trashed from a busy weekend. 1.5 hrs to the top, 54 mins down. Rain started to hit the windshield just as I reached the car. Still a good hike but will be better next month. :)

Roy

Re: Another Silver Star Post- Now With Print ID Quiz

Post by Roy » April 21st, 2014, 8:19 pm

Did you come from Washougal.

Not much spring showing from Grouse vista its the ugly way the Tarbell loop is nice tho.
Last edited by Roy on April 22nd, 2014, 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

anne37

Post by anne37 » April 21st, 2014, 8:35 pm

I come up from Portland via Washougal, never been the other ways. I'm thinking in a month or two I'll put together a trip from the Bluff Mountain TH and also check out Ed's Trail finally. Some of Grouse is ugly, but I like the traverse across the talus slope. Kind of feels like a "real" mountain back there! :lol:

anne37

Post by anne37 » April 21st, 2014, 8:52 pm

Looks like a two-hour drive to the Bluff Mtn trailhead, and a nasty road. Is that about right?

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/bluff-mountain

Roy

Post by Roy » April 21st, 2014, 11:50 pm

anne37 wrote:I come up from Portland via Washougal, never been the other ways. I'm thinking in a month or two I'll put together a trip from the Bluff Mountain TH and also check out Ed's Trail finally. Some of Grouse is ugly, but I like the traverse across the talus slope. Kind of feels like a "real" mountain back there! :lol:
Even if I was coming from PDX I would go this way

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/45.7055 ... !1m0?hl=en
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Roy

Post by Roy » April 21st, 2014, 11:52 pm

anne37 wrote:Looks like a two-hour drive to the Bluff Mtn trailhead, and a nasty road. Is that about right?

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/bluff-mountain
Never drove over there always hiked over and back from Silver star.

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » April 22nd, 2014, 12:34 am

:) Nice photos! Your shoes are pretty aggressive. What are they? Are they pretty comfy?

Roy

Post by Roy » April 22nd, 2014, 4:53 am

my better half would like that wind breaker unique color :D

Hagbard Celine

Post by Hagbard Celine » April 22nd, 2014, 8:41 am

forestkeeper wrote::) Nice photos! Your shoes are pretty aggressive. What are they? Are they pretty comfy?
The shoes are Salomon Speedcross 3's, I have the blue/black ones myself and they are an amazing shoe and there are a dozen or more color schemes on a very cool design. They also have one's waterproofed and insulated but I haven't tried a pair of those yet. Have not yet seen a shoe or boot with better trail traction.
“I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.”
― Booker T. Washington

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » April 22nd, 2014, 1:37 pm

:D All cool, thanks! I'm always slipping, sliding and away when I'm on the trails. Especially coming down the "Heartbreak" Ridge trail at Smith Rock State Park near Redmond. After looking like the Trojan Horse on the rolling pebbles, I thought I'd better invest in some of the logger boots with spikes. :roll: