Mosier Plateau 4.20.14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
sprengers4jc

Re: Mosier Plateau 4.20.14

Post by sprengers4jc » April 22nd, 2014, 10:11 am

kepPNW wrote:Thanks again, Keri! (Hope I'm remembering the name, right?) If no one offers more, I may repost over in the "Need ID" group. This time, I'm actually tagging the photos, for future reference, too! :)
Sounds great! And yes, I'm Keri. My wife is Tracy and our dog is Maggie but, together, we are sprengers4jc :D. I'm on the left in our avatar pic. I will have to subscribe to the "Need ID" forum, as that sounds like an interesting place to be as well. Take care, and thanks for sharing your photos :).
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » April 22nd, 2014, 2:18 pm

Wow, great report on the flowers. Thanks. I just learned about this hike a few weeks ago. Now I want to go! I think the pic you have identified as a corydalis is actually a kind of vetch, or at least a pea family member. There's so many I hardly ever key them out. Corydalis foliage looks a bit more like bleeding heart foliage growing up from a clump.
Glad you enjoyed it.
Woodswalker

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » April 22nd, 2014, 2:28 pm

woodswalker wrote:Wow, great report on the flowers. Thanks. I just learned about this hike a few weeks ago. Now I want to go! I think the pic you have identified as a corydalis is actually a kind of vetch, or at least a pea family member. There's so many I hardly ever key them out. Corydalis foliage looks a bit more like bleeding heart foliage growing up from a clump.
Glad you enjoyed it.
Woodswalker
Thanks, Woodswalker! I wasn't positive on that one but they were everywhere. I did see some leafy pea there, too, so I know it wasn't that. But Big-Headed Clover was everywhere as well so a good variety of pea family plants represented there means there could just as easily be others.
-Unknown

MariposaMan

Post by MariposaMan » April 22nd, 2014, 4:32 pm

Color me envious! Thanks for posting about this area. When exploring the gorge on a rainy May weekend in '12, I inadvertently spotted the trail leading to the cemetery. Not knowing anything about it (until know), I wandered up the short distance to cemetery but no further. I do remember lots of poppies along the old highway, and lots of the purple vetch as I drove the back roads to The Dalles. You've photographed and ID'd several flowers/plants that are new to me, so these are greatly appreciated!

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » April 23rd, 2014, 7:08 am

MariposaMan wrote:Color me envious! Thanks for posting about this area. When exploring the gorge on a rainy May weekend in '12, I inadvertently spotted the trail leading to the cemetery. Not knowing anything about it (until know), I wandered up the short distance to cemetery but no further. I do remember lots of poppies along the old highway, and lots of the purple vetch as I drove the back roads to The Dalles. You've photographed and ID'd several flowers/plants that are new to me, so these are greatly appreciated!
Great story! It's a neat place, for sure. And glad to assist in the IDs :).
-Unknown