Mosier Plateau 4.20.14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
sprengers4jc

Re: Mosier Plateau 4.20.14

Post by sprengers4jc » April 22nd, 2014, 7:05 am

chiefWright wrote:Floralfantastica! You sure hit the flower jackpot on this trip, and it's zoomed up to the top of my next visit East of Hood River. Looks like Maggie had a good time, too.

I assume this is a "new" Friends of the Gorge trail? Do you have a map reference for this trail, or is it pretty obvious (unlike Catherine, where tracks go every which way)?
Yes, she certainly enjoyed it, as did my wife and me :). As for the trail, yes, this is a new Friends of the Gorge trail that just opened in September, though parts of it have been open for years. Here's the link: http://gorgefriends.org/display.php?modin=51&uid=4894 Once we located the trailhead at the bridge, we didn't bother looking at the rest of the link (the trail was very easy to follow) but it lead to us making a mistake, as we went to the viewpoint and assumed that was the end of the trail as there was not another trail immediately obvious. But after looking hard at the map, I think the trail that takes off north from the viewpoint is the old road that is used to service the communication tower there. It appears to go all the way down to the historic highway. One could, conceivably, make this a loop but it's much prettier as an out and back, I think. So now we have one more reason to visit again, to see the part of the trail we missed :).
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » April 22nd, 2014, 7:08 am

kepPNW wrote:
sprengers4jc wrote:
kepPNW wrote:A sample of what I saw over there on Saturday. I just sort of wandered aimlessly, for probably more than eight hours. Incredible day! (I think I know the names of probably 2/3 of them, now!)
Wow, what an amazing hike! Some of the others I see that haven't already been identified are #15 Pacific Hound's Tongue, #16 Woodland Strawberry, #18 Groundsel (a very pretty invasive species), #19 Chocolate Lily, #20 Columbia Desert Parsley, #21 Oregon Grape, #22 Larkspur, #24 Lupine not yet bloomed, #51 Milkvetch, and #52 Ballhead Waterleaf. Very beautiful collection of photos you have there!
Oh boy, you're gonna make me count! :) I knew some of those, but you've definitely filled in a few (more!) IDs for me. Thanks so much!
No problem, glad to help! :)
-Unknown

Limey

Post by Limey » April 22nd, 2014, 7:25 am

We did this trail back in March. It was designed as an out and back. We thought about taking the road down but weren't sure where it came out and didn't relish the thought of hiking Hwy 30. Nice little hike. I'll have to go back now and see all the flowers.

RobinB

Post by RobinB » April 22nd, 2014, 8:48 am

Nice TR - the butterfly and ladybug pictures are fantastic! :)

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » April 22nd, 2014, 8:52 am

Thanks! Such a great variety of everything there that the photos don't really do it justice but I enjoy taking them anyway :).
-Unknown

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 22nd, 2014, 9:04 am

sprengers4jc wrote:
kepPNW wrote:Oh boy, you're gonna make me count! :) I knew some of those, but you've definitely filled in a few (more!) IDs for me. Thanks so much!
Since we're on a roll, there are just a few I'm still unsure about. Thoughts/ideas?

Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Peder

Post by Peder » April 22nd, 2014, 9:30 am

kepPNW wrote:Since we're on a roll, there are just a few I'm still unsure about. Thoughts/ideas?
Weeds, weeds and weeds?
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 22nd, 2014, 9:43 am

Peder wrote:
kepPNW wrote:Since we're on a roll, there are just a few I'm still unsure about. Thoughts/ideas?
Weeds, weeds and weeds?
Colorful Weeds, as EasyRider was wont to say. :)
Karl

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » April 22nd, 2014, 9:48 am

kepPNW wrote:
sprengers4jc wrote:
kepPNW wrote:Oh boy, you're gonna make me count! :) I knew some of those, but you've definitely filled in a few (more!) IDs for me. Thanks so much!
Since we're on a roll, there are just a few I'm still unsure about. Thoughts/ideas?

OK, the last one is definitely bi-colored cluster lillies. The other two are unknown to me. Peder could be right, there are a lot of pretty weeds in this area! :lol: I have really been enjoying this site http://www.wildflowersearch.com/ although it has to be used with caution, as the search radius is not entirely accurate for what could be growing in a specific area. But it's helpful for narrowing down many things, except in this case. It seems like both of those could be some sort of shrub but I'm not sure what kind. Hopefully, someone else here recognizes them and can name them for us. I always love learning new plant names :).
-Unknown

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 22nd, 2014, 10:06 am

Thanks again, Keri! (Hope I'm remembering the name, right?) If no one offers more, I may repost over in the "Need ID" group. This time, I'm actually tagging the photos, for future reference, too! :)
Karl