Lowland forest blooms bursting out

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
woodswalker

Lowland forest blooms bursting out

Post by woodswalker » April 21st, 2014, 8:10 am

Mostly a woodland flower report. Sorry no pics. I promise my third report will have pics. Seeing that Sunday was predicted to be the only reliably rain free day this week, out the door I went. I decided to do one of the less extravagantly stupendously breathtakingly beautiful hikes that are the norm in the gorge in the hopes for a quieter walk. After nabbing one of the last few spots at the Wahclella parking lot I headed up the #400 to Tanner Butte Rd. Despite the traffic noise I really enjoyed the #400. Right now it's full of a great mix of lowland forest blooms and some of the more common urban weeds. (I actually really like weeds!) The short list of blooms included Calyspo Orchids, Smith's Fairy Bells, Trilliums, Bleeding Hearts, Yellow Violets, Branched Solomon's Seal, Thalictrum, Western Coltsfoot and one lone bunch of daffodils in a nice flat glade. Maidenhair ferns and the Douglas Artemesia were unfurling nicely. My botanist wannabe self now completely satisfied I headed up to Rd #777 and stopped at the intersection with the Tanner Butte trailhead for an early lunch by the waterfalls. I saw one couple heading up to Wauna point and a family heading for Tanner Butte and that was it. I was tempted to go further since IMO the road gets more interested after that intersection. But there was a friend's birthday party happening in town with barbecued brisket and strawberry rhubarb pie so I headed back down. Go now if the smaller woodland blooms are exciting to you.
Woodswalker

chiefWright

Re: Lowland forest blooms bursting out

Post by chiefWright » April 21st, 2014, 9:48 pm

Hmm. Wildflowers, brisket and strawberry rhubarb pie. I simply can't imagine a better day.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » April 22nd, 2014, 6:59 am

It was a perfect day :D
woodswalker

mcds

Post by mcds » April 23rd, 2014, 1:21 am

Great TR. With writing like that, no photos necessary.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » April 23rd, 2014, 6:32 am

awwh, thanks :D
Woodswalker

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » April 23rd, 2014, 11:15 am

That road is a good choice at any time of the year but even better when the flowers are starting to bloom. Now I want pie and brisket :D

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » April 23rd, 2014, 11:47 am

Thanks Sean, I completely enjoyed it.
Woodswalker