Siouxon Creek for my first backpacking experience

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
sprengers4jc

Re: Siouxon Creek for my first backpacking experience

Post by sprengers4jc » April 18th, 2014, 12:39 pm

woodswalker wrote:Hi, I actually was the one who bought the broken strap Osprey at the REI garage sale. :D Score! They had the strap I needed in the store and the clerk actually put it together for me. I'm still trying to see if I can go back to shoulder packs so I didn't wan't to invest much. Great report and congrats on the backpacking trip! Tons of thanks for picking up the casings too!
Woodswalker
Haha! Too funny! Small world :D.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » April 18th, 2014, 3:15 pm

My first backpacking trip involved a 40 pound pack for a three day trip. After that, I said "Never again! " The extra weight didn't ruin the trip, but my now lighter gear makes a good trip better.

I examined the basics first. Am I gonna be near water during my trip? Then I don't need to lug around more than a liter of water at any time, if even that much. My shelter is a tarp and some bug netting I could clip to the opening and a ground tarp, or a bug netting tent with rain fly, depending on how I feel when I'm packing for the trip. All food is dry, after all water is heavy and I'll only need extra when I cook so I don't have to carry it all day.

There is plenty of advice on the Internet, but you have to hike for you, so the process is a personal one. It's also fun, especially when you find yourself almost dancing up a trail you struggled with in the past.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

Surridge

Post by Surridge » April 21st, 2014, 9:22 am

Suggestions for good campsites along this trail? Any hidden gems? Places to avoid? THanks

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » April 21st, 2014, 10:34 am

Re lightening the pack weight: Here are a couple of videos from the Texas Boy Scout Council. They show how one of the leaders was able to lighten her pack weight by 8-10 pounds without spending any money. Do note that one of the methods, leaving rain pants at home, while fine for New Mexico (Philmont) in summer, is not suitable for the Pacific NW in "shoulder season."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YflSOY91uS4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1TEuPD6 ... ure=relmfu

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » April 21st, 2014, 11:39 am

For sure different climates and possible weather during a trip will dictate what can be left behind, but I have found that many things that could be left behind in, say, the height of summer, can be very useful as a preventative. I've simply found lighter ways to bring them along.

For example, I always take rain gear with me, as Murphy's Laws dictate that if I don't, it will rain in biblical proportions. rain gear might only mean a good rain poncho, but I always have it.

I always take a 2 liter water bladder with me, because Murphy's Laws dictate that if I don't, all water sources will be dried up, including the Columbia River and the Eastern Pacific Ocean.

Of course I exaggerate (a little), but I will not tell you about the time I didn't double check to make sure I had toilet paper. :?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 21st, 2014, 12:01 pm

I hardly ever carry more than a pint of water. Too many water sources. "Camel up" before you take off. If you do a long hike, then stop some place and refill. Drink up there also.

If you never use an item, quit taking it.

Of course, this doesn't apply to survival items like first aid kit.

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » April 21st, 2014, 12:26 pm

Jerry, I don't fill the 2l bladder. I wave it over the water a few times to satisfy Mr Murphy. :lol:

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 21st, 2014, 1:09 pm

your 2 liter bladder weighs 3 ounces

my pint bottle weighs 1.5 ounces

I just saved 1.5 ounces :)

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » April 21st, 2014, 1:28 pm

You gotta be sure about those water sources, though. Hiking along the upper Green River in Wyoming's Wind Rivers, I hit a 5 mile stretch with no water sources except the Green, which was full of glacial silt (what gives it its color up there) and would have clogged my filter in a hurry.. It was a quite warm day, too. Both the dog and I were really panting by the time we reached a small spring. Most of the time, though, you can be reasonably sure.

For the same weight as Jerry's pint bottle, I can take a 2 liter Evernew bottle. Platypus bottles weigh about the same as Evernew. Both roll up into a tiny space. That way if I do need more water (so I can camp away from water sources when backpacking), I have a place to put it.

Packing your fears, rather than a reasonable risk assessment, leads to a lot of unnecessary stuff carried. The Columbia ain't gonna dry up, although with the amount of agricultural chemicals and other goodies in it, I wouldn't want to drink it!

On the other hand, I never go without rain gear. If it doesn't rain, there is often waist-high brush (inevitably thorns or stinging nettles) soggy with deaf to wade through, or a cold, windy, exposed area up high where I really want a hard shell head to foot to keep warm, especially when stopped to admire the view (something I do more and more as I get older :D ).

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » April 22nd, 2014, 8:50 pm

Nice place for your first backpack trip. I hiked to all of the falls up that creek last year....very cool canyon. Your pack looks a lot like the one I use one most of my hikes...now you got me curious and I'm going to have to weigh it. Thanks for sharing your adventure. :)
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group