Alder Springs (Sisters/Redmond) 4-13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
nautachris

Re: Alder Springs (Sisters/Redmond) 4-13

Post by nautachris » April 18th, 2014, 9:41 am

There is definitely a large-ish flat area adjacent to those ponderosas. It was pretty obvious people had been recently camping there as well.

cfm

Post by cfm » April 18th, 2014, 2:32 pm

There are indeed multiple spots to camp under the pines there, as well as up and down the Deschutes and up Whychus. Many of these have springs bubbling out of the ground and draining into the creek. The access that Nautichris took is indeed closed for 4 months out of the year, but you can get in there during the closed season via Squaw Flat Road and hike cross country over a bench to Whychus Creek, or down the next canyon north to get to the Deschutes. If you go in before 3/31 you are guaranteed solitude!

Map and brief TR here.

miah66

Post by miah66 » April 18th, 2014, 2:35 pm

cfm wrote: If you go in before 3/31 you are guaranteed solitude!
Hey Thanks!

You're also guaranteed a (or several) cold creek crossing(s)!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 18th, 2014, 3:13 pm

Did you get to Squaw Flat Road from the North? Going through Cove Palisades State Park?

cfm

Post by cfm » April 21st, 2014, 5:49 am

Yes Gerry we did come in via Cove Palisades Park.

Oh yeah the multiple cold creek crossings, we brought our water crossing shoes and crossed multiple times.

The pictograph is just downstream from the old bridge site (which has no bridge parts remaining whatsoever) on the south side of the creek.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » April 21st, 2014, 6:53 am

Yes, that's the pictograph I saw. I understand that there are others in the area. Too faded to be readily visible. For a while I had access to a copy of the Loring and Loring book on Oregon Rock art. It was like learning about an invisible world that was all around me. Sadly hundreds are underwater due to dams.
The site below has photos of some of the existing sites for those who are curious about what they are possibly hiking past.
http://www.oregonrockart.com/
Thanks for posting.

albundy

Post by albundy » April 26th, 2014, 9:33 pm

Two friends and I just did two nights there 4/17-4/19, right at the end of the trail/under those ponderosas that were mentioned :) The creek was just above my knee, I'm 5'10", though there was a nice little rope tied across for some balance.

retired jerry -- Holmes road, it is. Not sure what vehicle you're taking but my Audi wagon on sport suspension had bottomed out a few times on the way in. Take it slow and you should be fine. We were the only ones there early Thursday morning, when we left on Saturday the lot was full. Another mentionable -- I found a tick on my leg when I got home. They somehow got me but not my bear of a dog.

Also, we found a nice little animal trail south of our camp heading nearly straight up the canyon walls. It wasn't easy with my torn MCL but it was well worth it the next morning for the sunrise!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 27th, 2014, 5:46 am

Thanks!

I usually spray permethrin on my gaiters in the spring. I always wear themm. They go over my calf. That helps a lot with ticks.