Peterson Butte - Lebanon, OR (4-12-14)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
nautachris

Peterson Butte - Lebanon, OR (4-12-14)

Post by nautachris » April 17th, 2014, 7:23 am

This report is slightly different from most reports on here, primarily because this trail is only open (well, legally I suppose) one day a year. Peterson Butte is a 1,439 ft. hill just southwest of Lebanon (Linn Co. 10 miles east of Albany on the way to Sweet Home and Tombstone Pass) that sticks out about 1,100 ft. above the surrounding flat eastern edge of the Willamette Valley. Completely privately owned, it is commonly used for hang gliding, but aside from that, public access is technically banned. Every year, Build Lebanon Trails (http://buildlebanontrails.com/ (a local trail advocacy group) organizes a public "hike" (I think most of us would call it a walk) using old dirt roads to the summit. It's only ~1.5 miles each way, but the views from the top are pretty unique considering I had never been to the top of any sort of hill in the middle of the valley. I didn't take many pics of the trail itself (we started in a group of maybe 150 people which eventually sorted itself out in casual walkers and avid hikers) due to crowds, but I took quite a few from the top and on the way down. Unfortunately it was cloudy to the east, so views of the Sisters and Jefferson didn't happen, but I'd still call the event a success.

Looking west toward Corvallias and Mary's Peak

So green!

Northeast toward my soon-to-be-ex-home of Lebanon. That large white blob on the left is a huge Lowe's distribution center.

Due east toward Sodaville and Sweet Home

Panorama toward the north

What passes for accessible meadows this time of year

down toward the saddle separating the two distinct summits

view to the south toward Brownsville

obligitory selfie

south-facing panorama - in the summer, this side of the mountain is remarkably drier and browner than the north side

Eugene is down that way somewhere

Lebanon, from halfway down to the bottom

Have a good one! The entire album is at https://plus.google.com/photos/10692290 ... 8845454161 for better resolution.

Chris Saylor
Lebanon, OR

Splintercat

Re: Peterson Butte - Lebanon, OR (4-12-14)

Post by Splintercat » April 17th, 2014, 8:30 am

Wow - that's cool, Chris! I've always been fascinated by Peterson Butte! 20+ years ago, I worked with a guy who had married into the family that owns the butte, and he described pretty much what your photos show -- though not as beautifully, of course..!

It would be nice to see it come into public ownership someday, but that's probably less likely now that the valley buttes are becoming vineyards (as opposed to "un-farmable" in the pre-wine country era). In fact, I'm surprised there aren't grapes growing up there already...

Thanks for posting!

Tom :)

nautachris

Post by nautachris » April 17th, 2014, 8:42 am

I was talking with some of the Build Lebanon Trails people and, unfortunately, they said there is no current plan on allowing public access. There was some talk of getting a narrow corridor/conservation easement to give people access to the top, but it would require lots of maintenance. I could see it quickly turning into a trash heap full of Busch Lite cans. It sure would be a great spot for a state or county park though - the top is a lot wider and varied than I expected.

BrittanyL

Post by BrittanyL » August 21st, 2021, 8:39 am

My great great great Grandfather, Dr. Asa Peterson, was born in 1822 in West Virginia and trekked the Oregon Trail with his parents, siblings, wife and child in 1845. He was in the Meek group that took the “shortcut” that cost many lives. He spent his years after arriving in Oregon mostly in Lebanon. Peterson’s Butte in Lebanon is named for him.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 21st, 2021, 11:00 am

Great history, Brittany! Thanks for posting!

-Tom :)