Elk-King with Kep and Crusak, 4-12-14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Roy

Re: Elk-King with Kep and Crusak, 4-12-14

Post by Roy » April 16th, 2014, 6:58 pm

payslee wrote:
The trail heads up very, let’s say, efficiently

The back side of the mountain had a whole different feel. Nice and shady, no road noise, and once we got past the mile (?) of Ruckle ridge-ish traversing, we were back on mellow trails through shady woods.

Late afternoon light making everything glow.

I very much enjoyed your report and your comment on the Elk mt trail made me chuckle.The best tr I have read about this loop. Seems like someones always lapping me a dozen times when I hike up there ;)

love the shot of the trees.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » April 16th, 2014, 7:03 pm

great TR, great pics. good job!

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » April 17th, 2014, 3:46 pm

kepPNW wrote:
Born2BBrad wrote:Hey! You got to hike with two PH legends, even if only in their own minds :lol: (just kiddding, they're both superstars)
":lol: Seriously, not worthy! :mrgreen: "

You three are totally worthy! Uber legends in my book!

And +1 to the coast range being a great destination, rain or shine. EB and I did the same loop the day before with my dog Jack. Crazy that guy/his mom were passing you guys! Here are a few pics, hope you dont mind me latching them on here. It was actually eb's idea to take the little rascal and he did really well:

Tff shot at the Elk Mtn/WRT junction:

Jack didn't really understand the rope lol. And actually we crossed paths with two other guys and their dog at the rope climb area. It turned out to be a non issue as I just picked Jack up and held him as they passed but jack is a grumpster when it comes to other dogs, so I was happy it went smoothly :)

We took a nice break on top of Kings too(no mayhem sightings either and all the times i've been out there this winter/spring I haven't even seen his car or even heard a woohoo). This one is from the dogs perspective:

He would have been a good fire lookout:

And another thx to eb for suggesting to take the little guy along, he had a blast and was pretty tuckered out by the time we got home :)

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 17th, 2014, 4:22 pm

Sean Thomas wrote:And +1 to the coast range being a great destination, rain or shine. EB and I did the same loop the day before with my dog Jack. Crazy that guy/his mom were passing you guys! Here are a few pics, hope you dont mind me latching them on here. It was actually eb's idea to take the little rascal and he did really well
Don't mind at all! Too bad we know to coordinate. We could've had a Big PH Party up there. :)

I think the kid/mom were "just" ridge-running, back-n-forth, peak-to-peak. Not, technically, lapping us. Mom caught us mid-descent off the backside of Elk, so had to wait for us to clear the path. Kid met us at the rope once, but we knew by then to just stand aside and let him through. I can see that wouldn't be the best place for two dog-strangers to meet up!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

kelkev

Post by kelkev » April 17th, 2014, 4:33 pm

Awesome! I've done the loop once, many years ago....My knees aren't what they used to be, so I'll live vicariously through your great photos and trip report, ha!
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

CraigG

Post by CraigG » April 19th, 2014, 11:38 am

Well done all! Looked like a fantastic day! Excellent TR! I think that 11-30-2013 summit log is from the group I hiked with. :roll:

Can you can see the ocean from any viewpoints on Elk-Kings? It is still unclear to me. I seem to only hike this loop on a cloudy day, making it a moot point. ;)

That is a fun loop! I just hiked the Coronary Ridge extension in Nov , which still seemed like a trail because of its very well defined deer path. Maybe it gets overgrown in the warmer months?

I am interested in taking Middle Creek offtrail up to the traverse, between Elk and Kings. Seems doable - steep and possibly brushy near the top. I think you pop out near the flat 3-way junction with the trail intersection sign.
Also interested in finding the old Kings Mtn Jr trail.