Elk-King with Kep and Crusak, 4-12-14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
payslee

Elk-King with Kep and Crusak, 4-12-14

Post by payslee » April 16th, 2014, 1:20 pm

Last edited by payslee on February 9th, 2015, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Born2BBrad

Re: Elk-King with Kep and Crusak, 4-12-14

Post by Born2BBrad » April 16th, 2014, 2:17 pm

Hey! You got to hike with two PH legends, even if only in their own minds :lol: (just kiddding, they're both superstars)

One of these day’s I’m gonna have to do that loop.

BTW, Chase sez it’s only a hollow log if it’s hollow all the way through.

Love the dullium.

Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

payslee

Post by payslee » April 16th, 2014, 2:46 pm

Born2BBrad wrote: BTW, Chase sez it’s only a hollow log if it’s hollow all the way through.

Love the dullium.

Brad
I actually argued that point, but got outvoted. :P

Try the loop! Your knees will thank you.

-payslee

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 16th, 2014, 3:00 pm

payslee wrote:With the buildup of sunny warm weather toward the end of last week, it seemed like Saturday would be a day that everyone *had* to be outside. Kep and Crusak were generous enough to let me crash a hike they had planned for the Elk-King loop in the Coast Range.
What a perfectly wonderful day in the woods this was, too! Thanks so much for pulling the TR together, Payslee. It was a great pleasure to finally meet and do a hike together! :D

There's not a whole lot to add; you covered it all so well. In addition to all the trilliums (and that one duallium!) and glacier lilies, there were a few more flowers in some abundance...

Seemed to be lots of this stuff - red currant, right?

And the lower stretches were full of Bleeding Hearts.

Then there's the usual oddities...

Little Stonehenge

The Headless Hiker.

Totally bizarre summit log entries.

The views were numerous and most welcome!

Where's that damn ocean?!

We kept seeing "shiny things" on neighboring peaks. Finally had to do maxzoom on one to satisfy the curiosity.

Still not all the way up Elk, the Wilson River looks very far below already!

Just saw the tip of Mount Hood levitating above the Stumptown haze.

This was my first time doing the full Elk-Kings loop, which is really a high horseshoe with a low trail connecting the two ends.

Kings Mountain, looking somewhat formidable, from the summit of Elk Mountain.

Elk Mountain, looking not quite so tough, from the summit of Kings Mountain.

Data

We ended up hiking right around 12 miles, with about 4250' of EG, but those numbers seriously understate the fun involved on this route! For example, the short stint up Elk climbs at a rate exceeding 1700'/mile for a good stretch. Major fun! :)

Click this one for a full screensize map.

http://gpsfly.org/gps_map.php?gps_id=3231&w=645&h=440

I certainly see the draw of the Coast Range, having now been down there a number of times. This is just a superb little loop, and ought to rank high on any to-do list. Plus, seeing this lush forest on a sunny day was a rare treat, indeed. Guess I'm just saying, this area doesn't have to be for rainy days only! :)

Gorgeous spruce forest near the Coronary Ridge junction on the Kings Mountain trail.

Thanks again, Payslee, for tossing the TR together! And, of course, for your most enjoyable company. :D
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 16th, 2014, 3:06 pm

Born2BBrad wrote:Hey! You got to hike with two PH legends, even if only in their own minds :lol: (just kiddding, they're both superstars)
:lol: Seriously, not worthy! :mrgreen:
Born2BBrad wrote:One of these day’s I’m gonna have to do that loop.
Definitely. I've been pestering Crusak on that one for nearly a year, but it just never made the agenda. Finally got up there! Pick a good day - the views are worth it. (Especially if you can get an off-shore breeze, or so some people [<cough>EP!</cough>] say.)
payslee wrote:
Born2BBrad wrote:BTW, Chase sez it’s only a hollow log if it’s hollow all the way through.
I actually argued that point, but got outvoted. :P
There were holes in both ends! Did any of us actually squat down to peer through, hmmm? :lol:
Karl

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 16th, 2014, 3:16 pm

I wasn't going to bring up seeing the ocean :)

I don't think I've seen Hood from the summit, must have been a clear day.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 16th, 2014, 3:27 pm

retired jerry wrote:I wasn't going to bring up seeing the ocean :)
Was looking for the ocean all day long, darn it. Even considered setting up an interview station, at one point, and asking everyone who came by what they thought. But... As it turned out, there was hardly anyone else out there at all! We virtually had the mountains to ourselves. (Except that kid and his mom who kept lapping us!)
retired jerry wrote:I don't think I've seen Hood from the summit, must have been a clear day.
Now, Hood I've seen both times up there. Here's what it looked like last April, a day which wasn't anywhere near clear enough to see the ocean...

Normal perspective, essentially no zoom.

Just a bit more zoom. (See the West Hill towers?)
Karl

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 16th, 2014, 4:25 pm

Hmm... now I got to go up there to see if I can see Hood :)

Crusak

Post by Crusak » April 16th, 2014, 5:02 pm

Thanks for whipping up a trip report, Payslee! :)

It was the perfect day for that hike. Temperatures were mild, and the sun was out. I just checked to see when my last Elk-Kings loop was - nearly two years ago! I was way overdue to hike it again. I quickly realized that two years is long enough to forget just how hard some parts of that loop are.

Going up Elk Mtn was just as difficult as ever, and the back side of Elk & Kings just as sketchy in places. Fortunately none of us ever fell down (something I predicted with great certainty that I'd do, since I seem to fall down a lot). :lol:

Standing on top of Elk Mtn I casually mentioned to KepPNW and Payslee that "we get to go down that way" pointing straight down the cliff on the back side. Not a route that the casual hiker can saunter down... lots of crawling, climbing, booty-scooting and generally taking our time, with careful foot placement in the forefront of our thoughts. :o I'm always surprised at the agility of folks who run that loop. They must be related to mountain goats.

Thanks to you both for joining me on this hike. And it was great to meet you, Payslee! :D
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Peder

Post by Peder » April 16th, 2014, 5:51 pm

Talking of legends: No Mayhem sightings? :(
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…