Flower Riot Going on at The Dalles Mountain Ranch - go NOW!

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
ForestPanther

Flower Riot Going on at The Dalles Mountain Ranch - go NOW!

Post by ForestPanther » April 16th, 2014, 11:19 am

The Dalles Mt. Ranch: 4/13/14

Mileage: 7.55 miles
Elevation Gain: 1400'

This past weekend, Born2BBrad and I were contemplating a hike and originally planned to make the trek out to Cottonwood Canyon and check out Oregon’s newest state park. But as we were passing through The Dalles, we kept an eye on the far hills on the Washington side, and could see a band of bright yellow. That was our decision point, and we opted to cross the Columbia and make a beeline for The Dalles Mountain Ranch.

This is probably the result of the “Portland Hiker Effect” which is when people post really cool trip reports of more remote areas, and all of a sudden, they become popular.

We were able to snag the last spot at the small trailhead parking lot. And boy were we glad we did!

Opening picture:

Born2BBrad has to endure my birdwatching tendencies and we saw a couple of really good ones on this trip! A sure sign of spring – we saw a Western kingbird on a fence along the road just before the turnoff by the wagon.

Western kingbird:

The balsamroot and lupine were in full swing at this altitude (although higher up, they were still behind.).

Balsamroot and lupine by the cattle gate along the road to the trailhead:

Horned larks are relatively rare, but they seem to really enjoy the undisturbed habitat on Stacker Butte. Every time I’ve been up this trail, they can usually be spotted just before the first cell phone tower.

Horned lark singing:

We both could not stop taking pictures of the flowers- it was a riot of cheery yellow from all the balsamroot blooming. I pretty much had a happy smile on my face the entire time.

Balsamroot flowers on the hillside:

Balsamroot flowers on the hillside w/oak trees in the foreground:

Not to be outdone, we saw some other awesome flowers too.

Dagger pod:

Spring beauty:

Sicklepod rockcress:

As you reach the first communications tower, you also get treated to your first northbound view.

The first communication tower:

Swale Canyon from Stacker Butte:

Mt. Adams looming over High Prairie w/Rainier peaking over its shoulder:

Pano from just beyond the last tower:

The trip was pretty easy peasy but it was nice to find a quiet lunch spot out of the wind, so Brad was in charge of finding just the right place to enjoy the view.

Brad looking for the perfect nibble break spot:

On the way back, I spotted some movement in the grass next to the trail, and yelled to Brad: “Great Horny Toads!” Because it was a horny toad. Albeit a pygmy one.

Pygmy short-horned lizard on my hiking pole: Image

Pygmy short-horned lizard in Brad's hand:

Brad’s GPS came in handy, and here are the tracks:
Tracks in NatGeo:

Tracks in Google Earth:

miah66

Re: Flower Riot Going on at The Dalles Mountain Ranch - go N

Post by miah66 » April 16th, 2014, 11:37 am

Totally jealous of those bird sightings! This is the kind of hike I love. That lizard! WOW!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

payslee

Post by payslee » April 16th, 2014, 2:49 pm

That little guy is the most adorable reptile I have ever seen!

-payslee

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 16th, 2014, 3:39 pm

What a beautiful day to be out there! Tough call now, Stacker Butte or Coyote Wall this Friday... Dang, maybe both! :)

Extremely cool horny thing, too! :D
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 16th, 2014, 3:41 pm

yeah, that lizard is very cute

if a lizard can be called cute

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » April 16th, 2014, 4:11 pm

That lizard is a cutie
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » April 16th, 2014, 6:14 pm

I think that lizard can definitely be called cute.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » April 16th, 2014, 7:57 pm

Oooh, I love the balsamroot display at DMR. Heading out there this Saturday and hoping for sunshine!

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 17th, 2014, 8:37 am

Nice photos! I was up there on Sunday, too -- and also made a stop at Rowena along the way. The lower elevation balsamroot is just getting started, so is pretty much on schedule this year (to bloom into the first week of May). The lupine are just starting to bolt, and only a few are in full bloom, so they're also pretty much on schedule, and should peak over the next 2-3 weeks, as well, depending on the weather.

Looks to be a decent bloom this year! Better yet, no ticks on Sunday, despite marching around off-trail for several hours. I'm normally a tick-magnet, so let's hope I'm just losing my appeal... ;)

BTW, a new trailhead/parking area is under construction a few yards east of the historic ranch complex at Dalles Mountain -- made me wonder if they are considering gating the upper road/trailhead in the future? That actually wouldn't be a bad idea, as the first section of road is pretty steep and hard to maintain for passenger cars. Plus, I'd love to have a new trail through the meadows below the current trailhead... but that's just my (wishful) speculation..!

Tom :)