Hamilton Buttes Summit Backpack and Mud Lake: 4-12-14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

Hamilton Buttes Summit Backpack and Mud Lake: 4-12-14

Post by Sean Thomas » April 14th, 2014, 6:03 pm

Joie and I spent last weekend camped out under the stars on the remote summit of Hamilton Buttes. The northern butte tops out at 5,772 ft and sits just west-southwest of Walupt Lake and the southern boundary of the Goat Rocks Wilderness Area. It was a glorious weekend to be in the mountains and the 20+ hours we got to spend on the summit made the climb more than worth it.

Mount Ranier dominates the view with Cozy Ridge in the foreground:

To reach the "TH" we drove south from Randle on 23 to the junction with FR 21 near the confluence of Twin Creek and the Cispus River. We drove 21 eastward until we reached Cat Creek Road(7800) and parked our car near the junction at about 3,000 feet where patchy snow blocked the roadway. We hiked and snow-shoed with our slackpacks and followed 7800 as it climbed up the Cat Creek drainage to the north. Eventually the road climbed away from the creek to the east where we turned onto 7807 to reach Mud Lake and the final leg up to Hamilton Buttes. Lots of snow at the three way junction where three motorized trails meet(Yozoo, Hamilton Buttes and Blue Lake Butte) around 4,200 feet:

It's always fun to see the top of the sign:

After we hit Mud Lake around 4,900 feet we made the final slog to the summit using some of the old lookout road but mostly just picking our own approach. After choosing an awesome spot on the southern end of the summit we lounged in the sunshine to really take it all in. The views of Goat Rocks and the rugged summit ridge were amazing:

I was stoked!

Mt Adams looks massive from Hamilton Buttes:

Looking down off the cliffs on the west side of the summit:

The afternoon was pretty much spent staring at everything around us in amazement. Unfortunately for Jo that meant putting up with a constant onslaught of blabber about nothing(and everything!) from me when inside the tent :D

We had some delicious dinner before sunset and bundled up for the show. Joie is inside the tent in this one as the sun began waving good bye for the night:

Sometimes, watching this you just feel like the luckiest person alive:

One last shot before climbing into the tent and tarping out:

Well, second to last as I had to get one of the tent under the moon:

I hanged the food down below and we climbed into our sleeping bags for the night. I slept like a baby :D But when the alarm rang around 5 am I crawled out to see some of the early morning colors:

Aaaah, back to the tent and a little bit more sleep before packing up(and ofcourse more pictures!) :)

Mud Lake was covered with deep snow down around 4,900 feet:

The clouds of yesterday had gone and the skies were clear and blue as we packed up. This shot is looking toward Mt Ranier with Wobbly Lake on the right:

Closer look at the beauty of Ranier over Cozy Ridge:

Mt Hood was visible down south:

And St Helens to the SW framed perfectly by Sunrise Peak(left) and McCoy Peak on the right:

Summit pano:

And one more of Ranier with some of the butte in the foreground:

In the days preceding our trip it was clear that some snow mobile riders had taken to the buttes(and the lake). Maybe some skiers too. Some of the places where these folks had left tracks made my stomach hurt:

After descending and cutting the road switchbacks we had lunch on the lake shore, which had been turned into a snowmobile racetrack in the previous week or so. These tracks were on the lake itself:

A little ways out on the lake:

I crossed the outlet stream(Timonium Creek) on a shaded snow bridge and looped around the lake back to Jojo:

The loop around the lake might have been my favorite part of the trip, just carving my own path through a snow covered woodland. It doesn't get better than that!

Back below the lake we refilled our water bottles with some fresh snow melt just spilling off the hillside. This creepy little guy was also doing some down hill travel on the road:

Anyone know what this is?

Once we got back to the car we changed cloths and enjoyed the nice afternoon at the Cat Creek Campground on the Cispus. I think I was just happy to be back on solid dirt :)

It's legal in Washington!

Born2BBrad

Re: Hamilton Buttes Summit Backpack and Mud Lake: 4-12-14

Post by Born2BBrad » April 14th, 2014, 6:50 pm

Great TR Sean! Are you still using your Garmin GPS? I'd be curious what your stats are.

Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

miah66

Post by miah66 » April 14th, 2014, 7:25 pm

Dude, such a solid outing! Can't believe you got up in to those environs this early in the year. You guys really get around! Great job! Love that pano shot of the mountains.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

acorn woodpecker

Post by acorn woodpecker » April 14th, 2014, 7:40 pm

Wonderful photos and report! Great that you prioritize an outing such as this. Makes me long for two things I have yet to do this year: spend the night under the stars and strap on snowshoes.

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » April 14th, 2014, 8:25 pm

Glad to see you switched things up and backpacked! Nice trip report as usual!
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » April 14th, 2014, 8:29 pm

Thanks, guys. I brought the garmin and it was very helpful on a few occasions. I'll upload the tracks in a couple days as I would like to get a bunch of stuff in the Dark Divide/Cispus Area up too.

It was nice to get up there this spring after seeing it in the dead heat of summer last year. We tried to go up earlier in the winter but got stopped by snow at the 23/21 junction making the approach dreadfully long. It was awesome to be able to drive all the way to Cat Creek Road this time :D

Thanks, AC. These types of outings are the best. We hadn't backpacked in a while either and it was everything I'd hoped it would be and more.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » April 14th, 2014, 8:36 pm

Thanks, run! It was nice to switch things up and get some fresh air overnight.

drm

Post by drm » April 15th, 2014, 6:45 am

You do find the most interesting and obscure locations. I was going to ask how you found that place when I saw your reply about last summer.

As to that little thing you want to ID. It's called a bug.

cfm

Post by cfm » April 15th, 2014, 3:24 pm

What great adventures you two have. Perfect weather, beauty, solitude on a mountaintop with views all around. Bravo!

romann

Post by romann » April 15th, 2014, 11:37 pm

Goat Rocks (almost) in April?? Wow, something tells me it will be an early year!

Great photos as always, Sean. Do you find these flat and open summits on Google Earth?

I've never been to Hamilton Buttes (or even heard of them before), but these destinations "in the shade" of big tourist draws - in this case Goat Rocks - tend to be the best in terms of solitude in summer, and still offer awesome views :) .