First Snow Camp - Helens and Back Again

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
RayC

First Snow Camp - Helens and Back Again

Post by RayC » April 13th, 2014, 8:14 pm

Packed up all the snow gear and set out for my first snow camping experience. The ol' pack must have been 80 lbs...I haven't embraced the whole "ultralight" thing. What's the point if you don't bring all your awesome gear? The extra long snowshoes paid off on this one.

People seem to like instant gratification, so here is the money shot:
9 - Spirit lake baybay!.jpg
My new home for the night was pretty sweet. If only my daughter could be here to see this!
1 - Welcome to your new home (for the night).jpg
I don't know how, but the tent just popped up on its own. I think Chuck may have had something to do with that. At least I carried the shovel :)
2 - Tent setup no sweat.jpg
This was the first spin of the new Hilleberg Keron GT. Man do I love that vesitbule (can you tell?). Frankly, better than summer camping - you get a place to sit in the tent! It feels more like a home I guess.
3 - The sweet new living room aka vestibule.jpg
Mt. Hood looked great. You know, I never would have thought it acceptable to say "ni-nights" to Mt. Hood before my daughter was born. Now it just seems like the right thing to say before a mountain goes to bed.
4 - Hood getting ready for ni-nights.jpg
Chuck and I survived the night great. We hit the trail by 6:45 and beat the hoards of day-trippers.
5 - Chuck and the tent survived the night.jpg
This pictures is for those of you that loved Where's Waldo. That seems like a long time ago now. Can you find the tent?
6 - Can you still see the tent (yes, I love my new tent).jpg
Here is the route. Below maybe 5500 or 6000 ft snowshoes would have been really nice due to the massive post-holes.
7 - The worm flows route.jpg
Mt. Adams looked really big from Helens.
8 - Adams looking spooky.jpg
I hear from a nice couple Justin and Charlie that the true summit is along the ridge and another 50ft up. I think I'll call it good here.
10 - The true peak not worth the 50 ft.jpg
It really hits you while you look out at the crater the shear volume of material that left the mountain when it exploded. Really, there is not much left...you climb and climb and it just stops on an edge and you look out at this hollow shell of what used to be an 11,000 ft mountain. Pretty amazing.

We were with the first few people at the summit, but the large groups started showing up pretty quickly thereafter. It was a good day for the permit collectors I think.
11 - Beat the rush.jpg
I believe that membership of the Mazamas requires a picture of yourself on a glaciated peak. They say Old Snowy in Goat Rocks counts... but there wasn't any snow so I count this as my first real summit. It was Chuck's first as well:
12 - Chuck's Mazama qual shot.jpg
13 - Ray's Mazama qual shot.jpg
Thanks for listening, and as always, don't forget the sunscreen. (btw, SPF 70 smells like paint).

Ray

kepPNW

Re: First Snow Camp - Helens and Back Again

Post by kepPNW » April 13th, 2014, 8:40 pm

Awesome! :)

One of my most favorite places!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

cfm

Post by cfm » April 13th, 2014, 10:02 pm

I love your tent too

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » April 14th, 2014, 9:43 am

Great report, very interesting tent, and congrats on the summit! We were over on Hood being blown away.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

miah66

Post by miah66 » April 14th, 2014, 2:01 pm

Excellent TR! Those are some great shots of a memorable climb! Thanks for posting.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider