Silver star from Grouse vista trail update 4/13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Roy

Re: Silver star from Grouse vista trail update 4/13

Post by Roy » April 14th, 2014, 11:53 am

kepPNW wrote:
Roy wrote:Ok if theses improvements are the result of the discovery pass I will eat crow ;)
Are they improvements? I mean, WTH purpose do they serve?
they stop moster trucks from using the trail or jeeps from going west to larch or east up Silver star

They put small boulders there before and then the good old boys winched um in the parking and in the road. last april when I was there 3 small boulders were sitting in the middle of the road.

Some people are easily entertained. I would like to see the keystone drinkers beast that can move the new barriers ;)

I would say its an improvement.

You must not know history of that area anything went any where There is still anger towards the hikers pushing trails all over in that area.

That southern route and around three corner rock its legal to ride a dirt bike or four wheeler. Around carpenter lake wide open to orvs.

I drove a car to the top Silver star and a dirt bike dozens of times before they closed it.
Last edited by Roy on April 14th, 2014, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 14th, 2014, 12:04 pm

Roy wrote:
kepPNW wrote:
Roy wrote:Ok if theses improvements are the result of the discovery pass I will eat crow ;)
Are they improvements? I mean, WTH purpose do they serve?
they stop moster trucks from using the trail or jeeps from going west to larch or east up Silver star

They put small boulders there before and then the good old boys winched um in the parking and in the road. last april when I was there 3 small boulders were sitting in the middle of the road.

Some people are easily entertained. I would like to see the keystone drinkers beast that can move the new barriers ;)

I would say its an improvement.
Wow... :roll:
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Roy

Post by Roy » April 14th, 2014, 2:05 pm

I don't think orv riders are a big issues to hikers no more than mt bikers . Dirt biking is for the upper middle class heck a good bike used cost five grand, like me they ride with family's pay fees follow rules, Sound familiar.

The troublemakers drive old raised Dodge rams with heavy bumpers and strong winches they love to tear up off-road and despise hikers. I grew up in Clark Co I know a couple of theses guys. Good jobs, nice homes ,good dads but they are not going to change.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Roy

Post by Roy » April 16th, 2014, 7:20 am

VanMarmot wrote:I was up there just 6 days ago and it's amazing how much snow has melted off the summit! Not to mention all the work at the trailhead - I guess DNR wanted to get it done before the summer crowds start. I suppose this means they'll be trying harder to enforce the Discover Pass?
Yea of lots people were on the north side when I was going down I saw 3 groups coming all complained about the road clear cuts and parking from the north. I did not have the heart to tell them i was 45 mins from my house and the road to Grouse vista is the best ive ever seen it from the north after the honor camp road turn off

They even put mile markers on the trees i checked them on the way back and they represent the distance to the trail head. Target practice unless they are Kevlar :lol:

yea you better have a discover pass at grouse vista. they ticket even without a pay station A friend up north got nailed for $89 bucks parked on dnr land on a old logging road he was hiking on all day.

I never thought I would pass thru that mile above 3,000 ft feet in the trees effortlessly I was going to turn around I'm not ready for post holing.

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » April 16th, 2014, 10:29 am

Next time I go to Silver Star I'll go to Grouse Creek TH. The road to the Silver Star TH was doable in a ford explorer, but just seemed to take forever.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 16th, 2014, 10:35 am

Roy wrote:I did not have the heart to tell them i was 45 mins from my house and the road to Grouse vista is the best ive ever seen it from the north after the honor camp road turn off
You and I need to do this together sometime. Hard to believe it's that short a time from SC!
Karl

Roy

Post by Roy » April 16th, 2014, 7:16 pm

kepPNW wrote:
Roy wrote:I did not have the heart to tell them i was 45 mins from my house and the road to Grouse vista is the best ive ever seen it from the north after the honor camp road turn off
You and I need to do this together sometime. Hard to believe it's that short a time from SC!
Yea I usually plan on an hour to get there but Sunday I did not follow any one going in or out and even got home in under an hour. 119th Is a pretty straight shot to the hills from my home.

I like company but I am embarrassed at my pace . So I tend to stick with people Ive known along time or go alone Will has wanted to go and I think a day spent with you two would be fun. if no ones in a hurry.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 17th, 2014, 5:23 am

Roy wrote:
kepPNW wrote:
Yea I usually plan on an hour to get there but Sunday I did not follow any one going in or out and even got home in under an hour. 119th Is a pretty straight shot to the hills from my home.

I like company but I am embarrassed at my pace . So I tend to stick with people Ive known along time or go alone Will has wanted to go and I think a day spent with you two would be fun. if no ones in a hurry.
That'd be fun. I've never met him, either. Rarely in a hurry. I'm guessing this is the way you usually go? I seem to have gotten in the habit of coming up from Washougal - probably because it's easier to meet folks from Oregon down there? And, the last time I went this way, yeah, it was pretty beat up!
Karl

Roy

Post by Roy » April 19th, 2014, 4:11 pm

kepPNW wrote: You and I need to do this together sometime.
Yea that's the way I go give me some time this winter was tough on me. May be at your timing we can do a nice 8-10 mile loop when the flowers are peaking.

Apologize about my remarks about micro spikes another gift from my better half I just like my yak traxs the go good on snow and trail's no worries about hooking a spike and tearing up an ankle off the snow. She keeps me pretty well equipped. I am just not a gear guy on trails.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 19th, 2014, 7:59 pm

Roy wrote:Yea that's the way I go give me some time this winter was tough on me. May be at your timing we can do a nice 8-10 mile loop when the flowers are peaking.
I'd like that. I don't seem to have the timing down for that (flower peak) up there yet.
Karl