Silver star from Grouse vista trail update 4/13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Roy

Silver star from Grouse vista trail update 4/13

Post by Roy » April 13th, 2014, 5:09 pm

Silver star is like old friend there is no pretense between me and this peak. I've been up it from all directions on it at sunset and sunrise. Have no clue or care how many times I visited it 30 plus years.

Now its easy to hike on the mind. No unknown destination why hurry. Maybe not many people ever achieve this. I have always latched on to hills like this Hamilton, younger and fitter Adams and MSH maybe 175 summits combined on those two not sure.

So today I visited a old friend surprisingly easy this year people are already coming from the North and Grouse vista. Roads are open.

I left from Grouse vista.

Nice improvement's at the trail head.

No sign of spring today.

The air very clear but a cold wind blew.

One little tiny patch of snow in the center must have accumulated from sluffing of the cliff.

I was worried about the snow in trees but found mostly this till the last little bit.

These trees can frustrating to pass thru when covered with snow and the bowed part of them sticks up in deep uneven drifts.

Not today walked right on by.

The last was all snow firm and walked on thru it was easy peasy.

Goat rocks were showing on top

I thought it prudent to put my Yak Traxs cable devices for the decent

These get a bad rap I use them much more than the Natula micro spikes that sit in my pack unused. I did a half mile of snow and a half of trail with theses today and no worse for the wear.

Near the end of a nice hike.

Another good day.

Last year late April.

Last edited by Roy on April 13th, 2014, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Helen

Re: Silver star from Grouse vista trail update 4/13

Post by Helen » April 13th, 2014, 7:11 pm

Thank you, I am thinking of doing this hike for the first time maybe this week. I was wondering how the snow levels were - what a difference from last year!

Roy

Post by Roy » April 13th, 2014, 9:32 pm

Sorry katula Microsplkes shows what use lve had for them just another gadget for rei to sell to Many people that don't need um. Not cheap either.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » April 13th, 2014, 10:13 pm

Judging by the shadow angles you were there late morning or midday. I was up there this afternoon, started at the Silver Star TH. Great minds think almost alike, eh?
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

Roy

Post by Roy » April 14th, 2014, 6:34 am

Lumpy wrote:Judging by the shadow angles you were there late morning or midday. I was up there this afternoon, started at the Silver Star TH. Great minds think almost alike, eh?
I was on top around eleven thirty dam that east wind wad cold then my fingers were going numb trying to take pictures, I could not steady myself and one of my poles took off and flew about 15 ft to west. I bailed and put my traction devices below in the snow..

My temp read 39 degrees the snow was very firm but not icy. I was glad I put yak traxs descending on the were awesome.

I was alone on top.

Roy

Post by Roy » April 14th, 2014, 6:49 am

Roy wrote:
Lumpy wrote:Judging by the shadow angles you were there late morning or midday. I was up there this afternoon, started at the Silver Star TH. Great minds think almost alike, eh?
I was on top around eleven thirty dam that east wind wad cold then my fingers were going numb trying to take pictures, I could not steady myself and one of my poles took off and flew about 15 ft to west. I bailed and put my traction devices below in the snow..

My temp read 39 degrees the snow was very firm but not icy. I was glad I put yak traxs descending on the were awesome.

Year or two back I was post holing though this part in 3 to 5 ft drifts one of these trees sprung out the snow hit me in the face got a fat split lip bloody noose felt like I got punched had a fat lip and black eye the next day.

I was alone on top.
Last edited by Roy on April 14th, 2014, 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roy

Post by Roy » April 14th, 2014, 7:01 am

]Image

Ok if theses improvements are the result of the discovery pass I will eat crow ;)

Roy

Post by Roy » April 14th, 2014, 7:05 am

Helen wrote:Thank you, I am thinking of doing this hike for the first time maybe this week. I was wondering how the snow levels were - what a difference from last year!
It should be warmer and if you hit on a clear day the clarity for me was impressive.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » April 14th, 2014, 7:34 am

I was up there just 6 days ago and it's amazing how much snow has melted off the summit! Not to mention all the work at the trailhead - I guess DNR wanted to get it done before the summer crowds start. I suppose this means they'll be trying harder to enforce the Discover Pass?

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 14th, 2014, 9:17 am

Roy wrote:Ok if theses improvements are the result of the discovery pass I will eat crow ;)
Are they improvements? I mean, WTH purpose do they serve?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...