Arch Cape to Short Sand Beach, my 16 mile day.

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Roy

Re: Arch Cape to Short Sand Beach, my 16 mile day.

Post by Roy » April 14th, 2014, 10:47 pm

I guess you don't want to answer about the gear in your avatar, I climbed some pretty technical routes that stuff looks way to heavy.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

MariposaMan

Post by MariposaMan » April 14th, 2014, 11:14 pm

The Arch Cape/Oswald West S.P. area is quite lovely, as is much of the Oregon Coast. I hiked the trails in mid-December, staying at a yurt at Nehalem Bay SP (full moon!), but over a two days with the first starting at the suspension bridge (as your pic shows) on the north side of Cape Falcon, and ending at the forested thicket at the crest before the trail descends to Short Sands/Smuggler's Cove. On the return I descended down the steep road to the tiny community just south of Arch Cape and slipped through an access point to the rocky beach. The tide was low enough that I could skirt around (and through) the rocky headland and cross the creek into the town of Arch Cape, then circling back to the car. The second day was from Short Sand to the tip of Cape Falcon, and then to the trail's high point where I ended up the previous day. This worked out well as I didn't have a car shuttle and wanted to take it easy with the miles. Yes, the serpentine shingle-lined footbridges were pretty nifty--simple and functional, yet artistic and unique.

Billri9685

Post by Billri9685 » April 15th, 2014, 5:11 am

Roy wrote:I guess you don't want to answer about the gear in your avatar, I climbed some pretty technical routes that stuff looks way to heavy.
That's a SAR picture in my avatar. I didn't bring the helmet for this hike but I do tend to carry the rest of the gear for day hikes just to get used to carrying the weight.

Roy

Post by Roy » April 15th, 2014, 8:15 pm

Billri9685 wrote:
Roy wrote:I guess you don't want to answer about the gear in your avatar, I climbed some pretty technical routes that stuff looks way to heavy.
That's a SAR picture in my avatar. I didn't bring the helmet for this hike but I do tend to carry the rest of the gear for day hikes just to get used to carrying the weight.
Thanks for your work.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura