SE OR roadtrip 4/4-4/7 2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
jgreisel

SE OR roadtrip 4/4-4/7 2014

Post by jgreisel » April 11th, 2014, 9:49 pm

Last weekend, we decided to go down to the opposite corner of the state for some explorations...

While we just did some shorter hikes, it was an amazing experience and we already have a long list of places we'd like to visit for some longer hikes ;)

For the complete write-up, check out my blog: http://cjsjaunts.blogspot.com/2014/04/s ... -2014.html

Here are a few of my favorite shots:
formation off Jack mtn road.jpg
formation off Jack mtn road.jpg (18.86 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
happy pup.jpg
happy pup.jpg (32.92 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
jack rabbit.jpg
jack rabbit.jpg (29.99 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
malheur maar.jpg
malheur maar.jpg (25.88 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
one of many bones.jpg
one of many bones.jpg (32.23 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
alvord hotsprings.jpg
alvord hotsprings.jpg (24.17 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
rock spire in leslie gulch.jpg
rock spire in leslie gulch.jpg (17.5 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
strawberry mountains.jpg
strawberry mountains.jpg (15.08 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
cathedral rock.jpg
cathedral rock.jpg (20.22 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
painted hills.jpg
painted hills.jpg (19.47 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
old barn.jpg
old barn.jpg (21.45 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
mt hood.jpg
mt hood.jpg (13.52 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
I highly recommend checking out the following areas...especially the Steens mountains (maybe in another few months the snow will be melted and trails hikeable), the entire Owyhee reservoir area (Leslie Gulch and additional gulches, as well as the surrounding canyonlands) and all of the John Day Fossil Bed units.
Last edited by jgreisel on April 13th, 2014, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See more pics on my blog: http://cjsjaunts.blogspot.com/

Charley

Re: SE OR roadtrip 4/4-4/7 2014

Post by Charley » April 12th, 2014, 8:54 am

Isn't it great to have wide open spaces available for travel, especially when the Cascades are covered in snow? And isn't the weather great!? The drive is long, but it's worth it!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

jgreisel

Post by jgreisel » April 13th, 2014, 11:52 am

Charley wrote:Isn't it great to have wide open spaces available for travel, especially when the Cascades are covered in snow? And isn't the weather great!? The drive is long, but it's worth it!
It was great!! it only rained a little, but everything dried so quickly.

slide-alder

Post by slide-alder » April 13th, 2014, 10:03 pm

Awesome! I am working on planning a week-long road trip in SE Oregon in early June! It's nice to hear about someone else's experience - and great photos!!! :)

slide-alder

Post by slide-alder » April 13th, 2014, 10:18 pm

Also... Can you describe a little more specifically where the abandoned houses/homesteads are? I looove old buildings. :)

jgreisel

Post by jgreisel » April 15th, 2014, 9:11 am

slide-alder wrote:Also... Can you describe a little more specifically where the abandoned houses/homesteads are? I looove old buildings. :)
I think June will be perfect for the area!

I know there are a few near the Alvord desert, but I didnt spend time looking for them.

The old barns/houses/homesteads were all over the place. There was the cabin in the Leslie Gulch area that looks like it is out of the pioneer days, but is actually newer than that. I think there are supposed to be others in the area(just not on that road), but we had limited time, so couldnt hunt for them. The little school house was really cute though.

There is a ghost town (that I also didnt get a chance to check out) called Silver City that is just east of Jordan valley, that probably has a few.

We saw a lot of them along HWY 26 between Adrian and John Day. There was an old homestead just past the Blue mtn summit. -->there is a ton of rat feces in house, so I highly recommend just looking in the windows.

The James Cant homestead is in the Sheeprock unit of the John day fossil beds.

At some point along HWY 26, between the Sheeprock unit and the Painted Hills there is the shoe tree. Just past that on the south side of HWY 26 we saw a cabin that was barely standing.

If you have another passenger, it helps, so you can take turns driving and looking around for cool stuff, as the other person drives. I would spot a lot of older houses on the properties of newer houses, so I would do quick checks as you pass by.

Have fun!!

MariposaMan

Post by MariposaMan » April 15th, 2014, 5:55 pm

Wow, you covered a lot of territory! Thanks for the report and lovely images. The southeast corner of Oregon is such a vast area that awaits various forms of exploration. I've visited some of the places on your route, with the remainder being on my to-do list. (Alvord Hot Springs is a must, I think.)

Did you see any nifty wildflowers at/near Leslie Gulch? Maybe it's too early... or maybe it's not exactly a hotspot for spring floral displays.

I'm still entertaining the thought of backpacking the Pueblos (the range south of the Steens, near the Nevada border) around the first week of June, but I haven't gotten around to seeing if anyone might like to join me. If not too late I might post an itinerary and see what interest their might be. The ONDA (Oregon Natural Desert Association) has several volunteer opportunities in the region, and so I might try for an extended trip to include one of these.

MariposaMan

Post by MariposaMan » April 15th, 2014, 6:15 pm

FYI, I found Owhyee Canyonlands (2008) at my public library. It's a collection of impressive photos of the Owyhee country. Slide-alder, the book includes a few photos of some architectural relics you may find interesting. Just thought it's worth a mention...

jgreisel

Post by jgreisel » April 16th, 2014, 7:15 am

MariposaMan wrote:Wow, you covered a lot of territory! Thanks for the report and lovely images. The southeast corner of Oregon is such a vast area that awaits various forms of exploration. I've visited some of the places on your route, with the remainder being on my to-do list. (Alvord Hot Springs is a must, I think.)

Did you see any nifty wildflowers at/near Leslie Gulch? Maybe it's too early... or maybe it's not exactly a hotspot for spring floral displays.

I'm still entertaining the thought of backpacking the Pueblos (the range south of the Steens, near the Nevada border) around the first week of June, but I haven't gotten around to seeing if anyone might like to join me. If not too late I might post an itinerary and see what interest their might be. The ONDA (Oregon Natural Desert Association) has several volunteer opportunities in the region, and so I might try for an extended trip to include one of these.
It appeared that the wildflowers were getting ready to come on, but we were just a little too early. I was hoping to get a view of some of the ones that are really rare and are only found in that area. There were a lot of plants that looked like they were about to start budding any day.

I have the Pueblos on my list to do. I also have a few hikes in the Steens, as well as the Little Blitzen river and the Big Indian Gorge. I think a yearly visit (all including a stop at the hot springs) would keep me busy for a at least a decade ;)

I actually checked out the book you mentioned. I had gotten a few hiking books for the area (including Ellen Bishops Hiking Oregons Geology and the photo book you mentioned).

It is a beautiful area indeed!!

miah66

Post by miah66 » April 16th, 2014, 9:47 am

jgreisel wrote:I have the Pueblos on my list to do. I also have a few hikes in the Steens, as well as the Little Blitzen river and the Big Indian Gorge.
I camped along the Big Indian River last July 4th. It was hot and buggy, but where isn't? We found some good camps along the creek and the group I was with actually climbed the headwall of the gorge and descended into Little Blitzen canyon to make a loop. I wouldn't recommend this as it's not safe. Both river canyons have backpacking camping opportunities, and South Campground or Page Springs Campground make good base car camps if Steens Mtn Road isn't open.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider