Worm Flows and A Bear (Track)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
weathercrazy

Worm Flows and A Bear (Track)

Post by weathercrazy » April 10th, 2014, 6:44 pm

Just a quick post, mainly regarding snow levels.

Parked at Marble Mountain and was in need of a quick hike. I actually spent longer than I thought, but I wanted to at least get to somewhat of a view of MSH.

Headed up for 1 hour. Ran into patchy snow right off the bat (2,700')
photo 1(3).JPG
and nearly solid snow at 3,100'. The snow was mainly solid, but was sinking in a few inches. The further up I got, the warmer it got and I was post holing a bit more. I soon determined I was on my way toward Chocolate Falls, which I had been to twice. I planned on turning around before then because the slog through the snow was tire some.
photo 2(3).JPG
Near the junction with the trail to June Lake, I did see my first ever sign of bear on the trail!
photo 3(2).JPG
I've never seen evidence of a bear up here in Washington/Oregon. Mainly in Wyoming/Montana.

Either way, I didn't see the bear, but it was very cool to see the prints.

Turned around with a decent view of MSH at around the 3,400' level. So, all in all, a very short, not too amazing hike, but was nice to get a little workout going through the snow.

Roy

Re: Worm Flows and A Bear (Track)

Post by Roy » April 11th, 2014, 6:19 am

[quote="weathercrazy"]
Near the junction with the trail to June Lake, I did see my first ever sign of bear on the trail![quote]

Tyler yesterday I saw bear tracks on the east side of the Hamilton loop from what I have herd they have gotten bold and are raiding the garbage at the campground at Beacon Rock State park.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » April 11th, 2014, 6:52 am

Thanks for the update. It's good to see what it's like in different areas. Some places get more snow than others and some places hold the snow.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

-Q-

Post by -Q- » April 11th, 2014, 12:24 pm

Thanks so much for the report.

Curious... a Sno-Park permit is still required for Marble Mountain now right?? Until April 30 I assume??

miah66

Post by miah66 » April 11th, 2014, 12:35 pm

A couple years back while camping near June Lake, I ran into several large piles of berry filled bear poop along the trail to the summer TH. They are definitely in the area.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 11th, 2014, 1:23 pm

-Q- wrote:Curious... a Sno-Park permit is still required for Marble Mountain now right?? Until April 30 I assume??
Nope, free parking since April 1.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

-Q-

Post by -Q- » April 11th, 2014, 3:41 pm

kepPNW wrote:
-Q- wrote:Curious... a Sno-Park permit is still required for Marble Mountain now right?? Until April 30 I assume??
Awesome, thanks so much Karl :P

weathercrazy

Post by weathercrazy » April 16th, 2014, 10:01 am

Yes, and the road was still closed beyond Marble, buutttttt, if you have a good 4 wheel drive, you can cut through around the gate from the parking lot...I wouldn't recommend just based on the risk of being fined.
-Q- wrote:
kepPNW wrote:
Awesome, thanks so much Karl :P