Red Mountain Lookout ski trip

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Red Mountain Lookout ski trip

Post by drm » April 7th, 2014, 5:57 pm

I try to do this trip every year, though I missed last year. April 7 is the earliest I've ever done this trip - the snowpack is quite low in this area. I was able to drive all the way to where the road to Red Mtn leaves the main FR 60, and I've only been able to do that in May before. I also ran into bare spots on the road up the mountain, and I've never seen that before.

This was also the first time I've had tracks up to the summit. There were snowshoe tracks all the way up, one set that appeared fairly new so probably from the weekend. If that is --you-- don't be a lurker, post about your trip! Seems that very few people do this in the winter. It was in the low 50s, and as always up there, breezy, so not so warm.

This was also my first trip with my new pocket computer, what most of you call a smartphone. Odd that it has a different aspect than cameras.

The gate at the beginning of the road was only barely covered.

Up through the trees

Breaking out of the trees

Approaching the lookout

Mt Adams from the lookout

Left to right: Rainier, Berry Mtn (Indian Heaven), Sleeping Beauty, Mt Adams

Back at the car and the warmth. 2 hours up, 1 hour up there, and 50 minutes down on the skis.

Afterwards, I drove up Panther Creek Road and got 4 miles above FR 60 before hitting snow, just a mile or so short of Falls Creek Horse Camp and the Indian Racetrack trailhead. Indian Heaven definitely has a low snow load for this time of year.

Roy

Re: Red Mountain Lookout ski trip

Post by Roy » April 8th, 2014, 9:50 am

Nice report Jealous :mrgreen: my kind of ski trip. I have a pair of skis and boots similar to yours not sure If I will ever see them slide beneath my feet again.

Much better than those Hood or Marble Mt. sno parks IMO.

Nice photos I see the finger how many dozens of those have I done with my phone a lot.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Charley

Post by Charley » April 8th, 2014, 10:01 am

Looks like it was Tele Monday! Thanks for posting this. I just got a randonee setup and have been looking for places to go. This seems like a doable trip for me.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

drm

Post by drm » April 9th, 2014, 6:45 am

Charley wrote:Looks like it was Tele Monday! Thanks for posting this. I just got a randonee setup and have been looking for places to go. This seems like a doable trip for me.
Being a road ski at mostly a moderate slope, and with one decent downhill on the way up, I think it's best to use backcountry metal-edge touring gear with fishscales of some sort on the base. Unless you decide you want to descend the north face of the mountain in a shortcut back to the road. Conditions were okay on top, though a tad crusty. But it was softening up. So the downhill is mainly slush skiing.

The other thing is that with the weather this week, the snow gaps in the road are going increase a lot, necessitating taking your skis off and on repeatedly. With snowshoes, it's not a problem to walk across rocky gaps, but skis are not so forgiving. So if going up in skis, you need to go right away. And some kind of flotation will be needed for the upper section for a while to come - postholing in the heat would be real bad for the last mile or more.

Charley

Post by Charley » April 9th, 2014, 7:26 am

Good to know. I have Nordic BC skis, too.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » April 9th, 2014, 5:18 pm

Nice, drm. I appreciate the info on the snow conditions up there. Looks more beautiful with the surrounding peaks covered in snow.