Klickitat Trail, Part 3 (MP16 to MP22 & back) - 2014/04/06

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Guy

Klickitat Trail, Part 3 (MP16 to MP22 & back) - 2014/04/06

Post by Guy » April 7th, 2014, 4:47 pm

We returned for our third hike on the Klickitat trail yesterday, this time hiking from the Wahkiacus TH at MP16 up to about MP22 & back. Arrived at the trailhead at about 9:45, no other cars there.

Opening pic

After about 2.5 miles you cross Swale Creek on an old Trestle, dirt has been pushed between the beams on the trestle sides & so it was easy to walk across.

Just after the first trestle crossing is the Junk Yard Homestead, hard to believe you could even haul that much junk in there, must be a lifetimes work. I was going to take a picture but the owner was out in the "garden" so I decided better of it. ;) .

The trail & surroundings are more scenic once past the junk yard.
Just before the second trestle crossing there is another archaeological curiosity, the shot out remains of an old Station Wagon!

We also found what we think were the remains of Brad's Metal Man.
We couldn't put him back together from memory & so rearranged the bits to make 2 smaller metal men :)

The second trestle is a lot more fun to cross as it's still the original with the gaps between all the beams. Lots of frogs were croaking away happily in the creek below.

We continued on for another 2 miles or so to MP 22 or 23 then found a spot for lunch.

The Dessert parsley was out in force!

On the way back we took a side road that joined the trail at about MP 18. It climbed up a little higher then pretty much paralleled the trail back to the Wahkiacus TH. Lots of no trespassing signs along this 2.5 miles of road/track for the land on each side but since the the road had several state highway signs (including one that was for a 50 mph speed limit which we thought was kind of funny) along it we felt confident that it was a public road. We actually thought it was a bit more scenic than the same 2 miles of trail were!

Hiking the old road/track from MP 18 back to Wahkiacus

All told we logged 12.8 miles & 1100' of EG.

A few more pics of the day here.

Parts of the Klickitat we have hiked so far..

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

greggle

Re: Klickitat Trail, Part 3 (MP16 to MP22 & back) - 2014/04/

Post by greggle » April 8th, 2014, 8:02 pm

Fun trip it was.

Here is a link to our little reptilian friend we saw: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eumeces_skiltonianus

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » April 8th, 2014, 8:55 pm

Great pictures and description as always, Guy. I like your continued assault on the Klickitat and your reports serve as a good reminder to check out some of the sections less traveled/reported on.

awildman

Post by awildman » April 8th, 2014, 8:55 pm

Another Sunday Funday! Do you have just one more section?
Rambling on at Allison Outside

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » April 9th, 2014, 7:13 am

:) Nice TR Guy! That is such beautiful country.

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » April 9th, 2014, 3:37 pm

Looks like my Metal Man may no longer be alive, but at least he has some descendants, one of them a male by the looks of it. :lol:

Regarding the junkyard homestead, apparently it’s a federal law that every rural residence must have at least one broken down vehicle somewhere on the property, as well as 7 guns per household member. ;)
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

Guy

Post by Guy » April 10th, 2014, 5:06 am

Looks like my Metal Man may no longer be alive, but at least he has some descendants, one of them a male by the looks of it. :lol:
I got in a lot of trouble for that addition Brad ;)
Another Sunday Funday! Do you have just one more section?
Allison, yeah one more hike to finish of the Swale Canyon half but that will still leave MP13 to MP16 between Klickitat & Wahkiacus not hiked. It's a long way to drive just for a 6 mile hike so I'm thinking to catch that in the early fall as part of a loony "Klickitat all in one day hike" when hopefully I could ford the river where the trestle is out.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors