Starway Trail to Silver Star Mountain - June 29, 2008

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pablo

Starway Trail to Silver Star Mountain - June 29, 2008

Post by pablo » June 29th, 2008, 11:47 pm

First, some trail conditions. The Bluff Mountain Trail as it passes the north side of Bluff Mountain is impassable unless you want to pack an ice ax and climbing gear as snow drifts cover the trail. There was a recent report where folks had done Bluff Mtn Trail from the FR41 trailhead and the route they took went over Bluff Mtn. rather than 'round the north side, still the case. Eds Trail should be considered impassable due to snow drifts, details below. Starway Trail has lots of snow towards the Bluff Mountain Trail intersection and the ice ax I carried came in handy throughout the day. I'd guesstimate towards the end of July for snow free conditions.

Did the Starway Trail to Silver Star route in search of some detail on the falls of Star Creek found just north of Silver Star Mtn. The first part of the Starway Trail is a straight up the ridge, no switchbacks, very steep. This day lots of laydown as large amounts of snow, now gone, pushed lots of brush and smaller trees on the trail. The second part is a bushwhack and today, lots of snow towards the Bluff Mtn. Trail intersection.

I arrived at the high point of the ridge the Starway ascends and got the view I was looking for; a complete shot of all the falls and the top of Silver Star Mtn, this is the shot I missed the last time I was in the area with the falls going:

Here's just the falls:

Going from top to bottom, the upper falls:

The middle falls:

The lower falls:

Lots and lots of flowers blooming everywhere but unfortunately, the beargrass blooms that should be as numerous as as the clumps of beargrass I kept tripping over were scarcely making a show. I wonder if beargrass is just going to skip this year in this area, bloom-wise. Here's a few flower pictures for which I confess I have no patience for flower pictures since I can never get them right - I'm going to have to work on my macro focus settings.

Beargrass, one of about 10 on the whole mountain.

Clump 'o Paintbrush

Purty Violets

My favorite flower of the day, Columbine, I believe.

Having bagged the falls, I headed up the 'trail', or rather 'route' as there is no trail even with the snow gone, to the intersection with Bluff Mountain Trail. Lots of snow towards the intersection with Bluff Mtn Trail.

I made the connection to Bluff Mtn Trail and headed up the fairly snow free trail to just before the peak where I lost the trail under deep snow. The steepness of the snow made a traverse unreasonable so I just headed up the hill in the direction of the summit. While on the way, I ran into a natural arch - I don't recall seeing mention of this anywhere but it must be known as it is very near the summit. Here is a photo taken from Eds Trail of the arch and the SS summit - the arch is the dark cave-like object on the left, with some folks on the summit.

Same photo with the route I took to the summit starting from the arch:

Very large arch, were I younger I'd of crossed it.

There were bunches of people making the hike up to the summit, I suppose mostly from the 4109 trailhead from the number of vehicles there when I passed through. The world needs more photos from the summit of Silver Star Mtn. Here's some of mine.

Ridge after ridge to Mt Hood and beyond.

Looking at the high point of the Starway Trail - to the left of center and up a bit - the best spot for viewing the falls (other than hiking down the hill and getting real close):

I set about my return wanting to do Eds Trail - the section that has the sign off the Silver Star trail had too much steep snow so I intersected a ways up. Here's Eds Trail from the summit.

Looks really neat from this photo and I've never done it before but on this day I shouldn't have. The parts of Eds Trail I could see looked fine and snow free. Had I known where the trail was I could have seen the problems from the Starway - I'll know better next time. Here's the first hint of trouble on the trail, I think I went below this part but my ice ax really got a workout today. I did some steep snow on Eds Trail today.

Here is the main trouble spot, the trail passes above the line of trees but empties out down the narrow slot into the snow field. I followed the edge of the snow down grabbing whatever brush I could then carefully traversed over to the talus slope - made me a little nervous in spots.

Never again in snow but Eds Trail looks like a lot of fun otherwise - really neat trail.

The hard part done I came upon the arch on Eds Trail, got a picture of this in the trail guide I think, here's mine.

Great day, great hike, too much snow. Just missed the thunderstorm that looked like was headed my way but I did catch a few rain drops on the ride out. I had parked at the spot where the FR4109 road crosses Copper Creek so I had a long walk from the Silver Star trailhead - some folks were kind enough to let me ride in the back of their pickup truck part of the way down, thx a heap, I was out of water and energy by that time and needed the boost.

Oh, my ride - allegedly gets 50 MPG...

--Paul

12+ miles, ~4000' cumulative gain.

retired jerry

Re: Starway Trail to Silver Star Mountain - June 29, 2008

Post by retired jerry » June 30th, 2008, 4:12 am

Wow! I can't believe how much snow is still up there. Great report.

That looked like a pretty strenuous trip.

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » June 30th, 2008, 6:30 am

I love the pictures of those falls. You first sparked my interest in those last year when you first shared photos of them. I love those zoomed in shots. So from your comments it seems the normal approach from the north (we call Silver Star Hike in the Field Guide) is clear of snow up through the summit. I'm eager to get my 11 year old up there pretty soon.

pablo

Post by pablo » June 30th, 2008, 7:30 am

jeffstatt wrote:I love the pictures of those falls. You first sparked my interest in those last year when you first shared photos of them. I love those zoomed in shots. So from your comments it seems the normal approach from the north (we call Silver Star Hike in the Field Guide) is clear of snow up through the summit. I'm eager to get my 11 year old up there pretty soon.
There's still a lot of snow on parts of the Silver Star trail but all very level and easily traversed. I saw hikers of all ages that had traveled it with no problem.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

airdrum

Post by airdrum » June 30th, 2008, 10:39 am

Fantastic Report Paul, my interest in those twin falls only continues to grow! That snow you encountered was creepy, I ran into similar situations once while wandering around crater lake in june, the snow was in the sun though and slushy enough to simply pound some flat spots into with your feet for a nice trail. I don't think I ever would have done it if it was ice axe material, bravo!.

Although it is difficult for me to gauge the steepness of the canyon in the pictures, I wonder if it may be possible to make ones way across the top of the twin falls and then work down the right side to get to the base, would definitely need some rope but the photos would be mind boggling... ah maybe some day...

Thanks for the great report!
Andy

jaimito

Post by jaimito » June 30th, 2008, 10:22 pm

So Paul do you think the falls are accessible in your opinion and what do you think would be a good route?

Jamie

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » June 30th, 2008, 10:34 pm

Great report and photos, Paul - thanks!

Tom :D

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 1st, 2008, 9:11 am

Paul,

Thanks for the report and pics. I think I'll head up there in the next few days and bushwhack as close as possible to the falls. Looks like there's enough snow to keep them going for a few more weeks, at least. Anybody interested in coming along?
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

pablo

Post by pablo » July 1st, 2008, 12:00 pm

jaimito wrote:So Paul do you think the falls are accessible in your opinion and what do you think would be a good route?

Jamie
Jamie,

Click through the photo below to get to the 4000x3000 image version of the falls area. If you download, there should be sufficient detail to locate a route to the twin falls. Looks like on the left side of the twin is a band of trees that goes all the way to the base and doesn't look hard. I don't know about the rest of it. Getting to the base of the lower falls would be challenging, no doubt.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.