Alsea / Green Peak Falls and Finley NWR 3/31

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Alsea / Green Peak Falls and Finley NWR 3/31

Post by pdxgene » March 31st, 2014, 4:41 pm

Joan and I headed into the Coast Range about 30 miles south and west of Corvallis today to go see Alsea and Green Peak Falls with a stop at nearby Finley Natl Wildlife Refuge on the trip home. The route is all paved and when the trees fill in will be a real nice drive. This is along one of those BLM Back Country Byway routes. The parking area is easy to find..

A couple looks at Alsea Falls where some big trees were down and the trail and stairway down torn up pretty good..

Somehow I always miss these signs until I'm coming back out :lol: (hey, it's a kinda long drive...)

Along the trail to Green Peak Falls

Looking down on the South Fork of the Alsea River

Heavy drop of water weighing down a fairy slipper orchid

Green Peak Falls, easily the highlight of the pair of them

Hiking books talk of swimming holes but probably not early spring ;)

Oxalis and bright red Pacific yew bark

Little waterdrops

Green Peak Falls. The spray was shooting either up or out so we could get right next to it without getting wet

Salmonberry flower in front of Green Peak Falls

One last look before starting back

Bleeding heart were starting to bloom along the trail back from Green Peak

More of the trail as we headed back. Green Peak Falls is an out and back and connects to a loop from Alsea Falls

Skunk cabbage bog as we headed down the Alsea Loop Trail

One more of the trail heading back to our car at the Alsea lot

Finley Natl Wildlife Refuge looks like they had a ton of rain. Most trails were either very muddy or do not offficially open until tomorrow. Once all is open there's over 10 miles of hiking trails. Today we just did the Cabell Marsh Boardwalk

Looking out from the shelter/blind at the end of the boardwalk

And the thick layer of moss along the route

With a parting look at the boardwalk and its reflection

Album is here http://picasaweb.google.com/pdxgene/AlseaFalls
Not another soul along any of the trails.. Yay :D
Last edited by pdxgene on April 3rd, 2014, 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

sprengers4jc

Re: Alsea / Green Peak Falls and Finley NWR 3/31

Post by sprengers4jc » April 2nd, 2014, 11:16 am

Wow, really beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us.

And from one K30 user to another, I feel I should warn you that despite this camera's weatherproof claim, my LCD now has water behind it because the seal around it failed during our hike Saturday. It's two months out of warranty, too :(. The LCD works but is really corrupted now and when the camera motor heats up, it fogs like crazy to where I can't view any of the photos I've taken or make adjustments. So if you are also out of warranty, hit it with some silicone around that LCD and save yourself the hassle and damage to your camera ;).
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » April 2nd, 2014, 2:03 pm

sprengers4jc wrote:Wow, really beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us.

And from one K30 user to another, I feel I should warn you that despite this camera's weatherproof claim, my LCD now has water behind it because the seal around it failed during our hike Saturday. It's two months out of warranty, too :(. The LCD works but is really corrupted now and when the camera motor heats up, it fogs like crazy to where I can't view any of the photos I've taken or make adjustments. So if you are also out of warranty, hit it with some silicone around that LCD and save yourself the hassle and damage to your camera ;).
Thanx for the tip. I always worry most about really windy days on the beach. Those sand particles are so tiny, they get into everything.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » April 2nd, 2014, 6:24 pm

Great photos of all the drooping Methuselah's beard. Those falls seem to manifest themselves in only two ways: as roaring torrents or feeble trickles.

The red bark you depicted is not western red-cedar but Pacific yew, of which there are many along the Alsea. The yew bark is much redder than cedar when wet.

cfm

Post by cfm » April 2nd, 2014, 6:59 pm

My first year in Oregon(1996) we lived in the town of Monroe and this was my backyard.

Miss it, thanks for sharing.

Love that wall o' moss picture!

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » April 3rd, 2014, 8:51 am

bobcat wrote:Great photos of all the drooping Methuselah's beard. Those falls seem to manifest themselves in only two ways: as roaring torrents or feeble trickles.

The red bark you depicted is not western red-cedar but Pacific yew, of which there are many along the Alsea. The yew bark is much redder than cedar when wet.
D'Oh! Thanx.. all fixed. That's what I get for being lazy... 'hmm..red, tall, eh' probably a cedar..' :oops:

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » April 3rd, 2014, 8:53 am

cfm wrote:My first year in Oregon(1996) we lived in the town of Monroe and this was my backyard.

Miss it, thanks for sharing.

Love that wall o' moss picture!
Thanx! I'd like to see it there in fall. If all those trees missing leaves have nice fall colory ones on them it'd be a pretty impressive display.