Some Post Holin' on Salmon Butte - 2014/03/30

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Guy

Some Post Holin' on Salmon Butte - 2014/03/30

Post by Guy » March 31st, 2014, 4:27 pm

Opening pic..

Yesterday Chiyoko & I set out on a hike with our friend Eric who is finally able to do some hiking again after being off the trails for the best part of a year. We settled on Something Chiyoko & I hadn't done before & Eric hadn't done in over 20 years, Salmon Butte. Neither of us bothered to look up the stats or refresh our memories & we both though it was about a 1000' shorter than it actually turned out to be ;) .. We figured a gentle grade over 5 miles would be a easy hike for Eric to get back into the swing of things...

We set off up the old road from the barricade in light rain with just a couple of curious deer for company. I'm sure this area around the closed bridge must be jam packed with people on a Summer Weekend but it was all quiet today.

Its about 1.3 miles up the road to where the trail leaves the old road & enters the trees, we started to see a light dusting of snow at around 2800'. Great only a 1000' feet to go so snow shouldn't be a problem ;) .

At the 3 mile mark there is a great view point. To the right of Salmon Butte is this interesting feature. Does it have a name?

As we continued to climb things got a bit whiter!

At the first of 2 or 3 big switchbacks there is a little side trail to an open area.

I noticed we were around 3800' now, no sign of the Summit, still can't be far the Garmin says the summit is only half a mile away in a straight line! For the next 1.5 miles of hiking the summit remained half a mile away in a straight line :) ..

After the switchbacks the trail crossed over to the other side of the ridge. Up until this point the snow had only been a couple of inches deep on the trail but as we rounded a corner it suddenly became about 2' deep!

I post holed ahead to see if things got better once the trail reentered the trees then convinced Eric & Chiyoko to follow ;)

We finally lost the trail at about 4500'. Eric & Chiyoko decided that was enough post holing for the day & it was time for lunch!

Staging a sit down protest...

I had Summit fever though & so while they settled down to some hot tea & some hot Apple Cider with Brandy I dropped my pack & made a cross country dash for the Summit. I hit the trail again just below the top & then struggled on through some thigh deep snow to stand on the top which I now know is 4870' :) ..

Almost there.... one post hole at a time!

Finally!

After tagging the Summit I made my way back down to Chiyoko & Eric, hoping to arrive before Chiyoko finished off all the Hot Apple Cider & Brandy ;) . We even had a few Sun Breaks on our hike out!

About 2 miles down from the top we ran into 2 other folks heading up the trail. The only 2 other people we would see on the trail today.

So on our way up in the morning we had noticed a side trail leading off the main trail shortly after entering the trees. We now decided to investigate were it went. It looks like at some time in the past the trail was going to be extended down hill as there was a line of felled trees that could be followed.

We rounded a corner & came across this:

Chess anyone?

The Proto Trail continued on past the cabin and eventually rejoined the road at a large switchback.

There was what looked like an old sign post here but we couldn't find any old sign.

In reading some of the old Salmon Butte reports I came across this info from Tom:
Splintercat wrote:There's a little more to this story: the decommissioning required the USFS to extend the trail, and apparently the agency had begun work on a new trail segment (separate from the road) from the lower trailhead, but had that challenged by conservation interests over the design and potential impacts on some old-growth trees. Thus, the decision to create the new trail along the old road alignment.
So it would appear that this is what we found & hiked.

All that remained was the rest of the road walk out under the low flying rainbow!
Image Image

Back at the trailhead the Garmin said we had clocked 11.3 miles & 3300' of EG.
A great day in the woods & an easy rehabilitation hike for Eric :) ..

A few more pics of the day here & a Map below.

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Peabody

Re: Some Post Holin' on Salmon Butte - 2014/03/30

Post by Peabody » March 31st, 2014, 4:51 pm

Guy wrote: At the 3 mile mark there is a great view point. To the right of Salmon Butte is this interesting feature. Does it have a name?

Claimed! :P

Looks like it was a lot of fun. I didn't know about this hike. Definitely on my "to-do" list.
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » March 31st, 2014, 5:46 pm

That is one giant gnarly rock. I like how the snow highlights the contours of it.
Last edited by BrianEdwards on March 31st, 2014, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » March 31st, 2014, 7:19 pm

Nice report, Guy! On the monolith: I haven't heard an informal name for it, but we discussed it in this earlier thread from 2008:

Pablo's South Fork Ridge Trip

There are at least three of these monoliths in the Salmon-Huck: the one I call the "Devils Tooth" just east of Devils Peak, the one you photographed at Salmon Butte and Sheepshead Rock at the north end of The Plaza. I think you nailed it on the geology: volcanic vents exposed by ice age glaciers (mapped as such on Oregon geologic maps).

As far as the proto trail, I'd recommend just letting it fade into obscurity at this point. There was a lot of controversy about it when it was built due to the hapless/haphazard construction technique, and the new route is the only route that will be maintained going forward, like it or not.

I still haven't been up there since the trailhead was moved -- that's a lengthy endeavor now!

Tom

Crusak

Post by Crusak » March 31st, 2014, 7:25 pm

Nice way to spend an early spring Sunday! Great pictures. Salmon Butte has come up here and there in my reading and I've wondered what it's about. I'm curious now to see what it looks like without snow.

Nice that you were able to make the summit. Shows your tenacity, and the power of apple cider & brandy! :)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 31st, 2014, 7:56 pm

Guy, Chiyoko and Eric,

Great job and especially so under such snowy conditions! Guy, good thing you didn't wear your customary shorts on this one.

It's been years since I've been up there so thanks for reminding me what a great hike it is.

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

CraigG

Post by CraigG » March 31st, 2014, 7:57 pm

Well done!

pablo

Post by pablo » March 31st, 2014, 9:22 pm

I like it, Guy will not be denied.

I have that monolith on my list for this summer, so, ladies and gentlemen, start your engines! First TR on it gets lifetime bragging rights.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 31st, 2014, 9:42 pm

pablo wrote:I like it, Guy will not be denied.

I have that monolith on my list for this summer, so, ladies and gentlemen, start your engines! First TR on it gets lifetime bragging rights.

--Paul
You're on, get ready!

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

miah66

Post by miah66 » April 1st, 2014, 8:05 am

Guy wrote: Back at the trailhead the Garmin said we had clocked 11.3 miles & 3300' of EG.
A great day in the woods & an easy rehabilitation hike for Eric :) ..
Who else thinks that is a "loony" rehab hike? :lol:
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider