A couple of urban hikes 3/18

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Lekilei253

A couple of urban hikes 3/18

Post by Lekilei253 » March 25th, 2014, 1:43 pm

I had a few free hours before work, so I met up with a walking buddy to checkout Kelly Point. The paved trail is in good condition and there are several side trails that take you down to the beach. I would have liked to stick to the beach, but my walking buddy was concerned about sand in the shoes, so we stuck mostly to the paved trail.
After a quick 1.5 mile loop, my walking buddy had to head back into town. I still had some time and energy, so I stopped at mith and Bybee lakes.

The parking area was full with a group having lunch and when I got out of the car tons of mosquitoes. Once I got away from the parking area the bugs thinned out. I headed out towards the Smith lake loop. I followed the path to the end and the last gazebo. There were a few bird watchers out looking at the wildlife. I saw a few geese and ducks, plus a large (3 ft?) bird through the trees, but couldn't identify it. Tried to get a picture of it.
Smith Lake (3) (598x800).jpg

I kept hearing rustling in the grass next to the path, when I noticed little tunnels in the grass. :shock: There were little rodents, not sure what exactly, running through the grass.

On the way back I attempted the little loop, but the center of the loop in currently underwater. The middle two gazebos were also not accessible without getting your feet wet.
Smith Lake (6) (598x800).jpg
Smith Lake (2) (598x800).jpg
The beavers have been busy too!
Smith Lake (5) (717x800).jpg
Two nice shorter loop options close to the city!!

kmcdade

Re: A couple of urban hikes 3/18

Post by kmcdade » March 25th, 2014, 9:32 pm

Sounds good! How long is the Smith Lake loop?
--Kathleen. Or K-Mac. As in KMC, because that's what people have taken to calling me here. :-)

Lekilei253

Re: A couple of urban hikes 3/18

Post by Lekilei253 » March 25th, 2014, 10:45 pm

kmcdade wrote:Sounds good! How long is the Smith Lake loop?
My mileage for Smith lake was about 2 miles. This is from the parking area to the trail, down to the dead end, then into each side of the loop until I hit water. The loop itself is probably about half a mile.