Wolf Creek Trestle Hike 3/25/14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
jgreisel

Wolf Creek Trestle Hike 3/25/14

Post by jgreisel » March 25th, 2014, 1:39 pm

Saturday we took my partners mom out for a nice hike along the Tillamook rails from Cochran pond to the Wolf Creek trestle. When we got the TH, I was attempting to get my bearings and ended up with my first official meeting of a fellow PH'ers, Rustygoat and Melinda :) We chatted for a bit and then hit the rail, or I mean trail ;)

It was a crisp 37 out in the shade.
on frozen pond.jpg
There were a few other people out on the rail, including a rather large group that was getting organized when we left the TH.
There was a lot of litter around (we collected a garbage bag full on the way out). Some of it is becoming part of the landscape.
Have you seen this bear.jpg
plant life growing in this guy
The old mill remnants at the pond were reflecting in the water.
mill.jpg
There are a lot of young Alder trees growing along the trail. More in some spots than others.
baby a;der on the tracks.jpg
After about 2 miles, you come to the first tunnel. There is a small portion of the track that the land has washed out under, but you can easily walk around this section.
light at the end of the tunnel.jpg
There are a few sections along the rail, where there have been rock slides, landslides and washouts. But there is plenty of room to navigate around all of these.
rockslide.jpg
mom cher and landslide.jpg
Next, we came to the Big Baldwin Trestle. We discovered that mom has a bit of a fear of heights, but she crossed the trestle with no problem.
big baldwin trestle.jpg
baldwin creek.jpg
After crossing the trestle, I decided to hunt for the memorial that I had read about. It took a bit of hunting, but I found it. It was marked by a piece of orange ribbon tied to a branch.
thought this was a memorial.jpg
memorial.jpg
In hunting for the memorial, I discovered how dangerous tiny alder tress can be. I was whipped and tripped up by them a few times.

We got back on the trail and just before the second tunnel, we found a nice area above the river to have lunch.
lunchtime.jpg
mom cher jen.jpg
After lunch, we went on to the second tunnel and quickly came to the Wolf Creek trestle. Mom decided she would not join us in checking out the second trestle as the first one was enough for her.
wolf creek trestle.jpg
We went down to the next washout area around the corner from the trestle and decided to turn around, as not to leave mom alone for too long :)

We headed back and the trail was a lot sunnier than on the way down. We ran into Rustygoat and Melinda a few more times (they were doing some off-trail exploring), as well as a few other people we enjoyed chatting with a few times along the way.

On the way out to 26, we stopped for a few minutes and chatted with the local bison in town.
Bison.jpg
It was a great trip. I will be excited to hear what comes of the official rails-to-trail conversion. I saw they were having some planning meetings this month, so we shall see.

Ill have some additional photos up later today on my blog below....
See more pics on my blog: http://cjsjaunts.blogspot.com/

Lekilei253

Re: Wolf Creek Trestle Hike 3/25/14

Post by Lekilei253 » March 25th, 2014, 1:53 pm

Awesome trip report!! I'm going to have to add this to my list!! Hadn't heard about the memorial. It's always fun to have some thing to hunt for during a hike!

Good to hear Tim and Melinda made it out there!! We were just talking about that hike the other day!

CraigG

Post by CraigG » March 26th, 2014, 9:23 pm

Excellent TR! I too have been out there and it is a fun adventure. Best to go out there now before all that alder leafs out...

Crusak

Post by Crusak » March 26th, 2014, 9:35 pm

I was just talking to a friend this evening about how much fun it would be to hike out from Cochran Pond on that same trail. Looks like a fun day! Thanks for sharing your experience.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

jgreisel

Post by jgreisel » March 27th, 2014, 7:48 am

It is a nice winter/spring hike. I would like to check out further down the line next time. I read somewhere that someone spent a few days and backpacked it all the way to the beach.
See more pics on my blog: http://cjsjaunts.blogspot.com/

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » March 29th, 2014, 11:08 am

Nice TR Jen, and it was very nice to have met you. :D I didn't think we were going to see so many other hikers out on the rails, it really kind of surprised me. You were by far the friendliest of them all. Melinda and I cleared a lot of down branches and also branches growing out on the path as we made our way down. I would have brought some clippers if I knew it was that brushy. We did catch up to some teenagers that were hiking/biking all the way through, at the Baldwin Trestle. I was pretty jealous of their trip so we're going to plan on doing the thru hike next time. ;)

This is definitely a hike I would recommend. I am also excited to hear what comes of the official rails-to-trail conversion. The area is beautiful and having some trail maintenance would help preserve it for others to enjoy.

I am going to do a TR of my own on this hike. I saw a few different things along the way that I should share. ;) Once again...it was very nice to have met you and thanks for sharing your trip. :)
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group