Enchanted Valley, Olympic National Park

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Enchanted Valley, Olympic National Park

Post by drm » March 25th, 2014, 10:28 am

Four of us visited the Enchanted Valley in Olympic National Park this weekend. We left Hood River at 8am for the 5.5 hour drive to the trailhead. For half the party, it was their first trip to the Olympics.

Hit the trail around 2pm and hiked half way to camp at O'Neil Creek. It was the first backpack of the season for all and combined with the drive, we were ready to stop.

We had a bit of rain that evening but the rest of the trip was bright sun. We saw one bear (at a distance so no photo) and one herd of elk, maybe a dozen or so.

The trail needs a lot of work but only a few tree falls were hard to pass. Snow was patchy in the valley itself. While the early date means that a lot of the greenery
was not in yet, the snowy peaks made up for it. The Chalet still stands, but I wonder for how long.

At the Graves Creek trailhead

East Fork Quinault River, from Pony Bridge

River and moss

Elk herd

East Fork Quinault from O'Neil camp

New trees growing from old. Note the slots in the stump where planks were inserted for men to stand on to use a crosscut saw, proving that this tree was cut before the era of chain saws

Trailside views

The logs to cross Pyrites Creek if you insist on having dry feet

The wade was much easier

Entering the valley

With the chalet

The chalet's days are numbered

Camp in the valley

Closeup of some of the waterfalls

There were frequent small snow slides

We hiked about a mile up-valley - ran into more snow and lots of downfall, and views up-valley

I also wanted to mention an odd thing that happened near the end. Two younger hikers passed us up the outward-bound uphill below Pony Bridge and commented as they blew past us that they hoped they would be as fast as us when they were our age.

Now, I'm 54. I'm no young whippersnapper and I well know that I'm at the age where the inexorable decline has of late started. So it's no surprise, but I've never had it put to me. I remember one of my first backpacks in the Sierra when I was in my 20s and saw a couple who appeared to be in the 70s marching up some pass. We all told ourselves that we hoped we could that when we were that age. But I don't think we told THEM that!

No big deal, but it was an odd thing at the end of the trip.

retired jerry

Re: Enchanted Valley, Olympic National Park

Post by retired jerry » March 25th, 2014, 10:59 am

I was in Seattle a couple weeks ago, sort of planning on this, but too much rain. Nice you found a fairly dry window.

Did you take your boots off to cross river? Isn't there a North Fork Quinalt crossing also?

Only one bear? From distance? Bummer, supposed to be more bears there.

I just turned 60. Scary! Planning on going a few more years. I'm rooting for GH to keep going because I believe she's a few years older :)

mandrake

Post by mandrake » March 25th, 2014, 11:16 am

Wow, there's been some serious erosion under the chalet since I was there in January. Looks like some ten feet of the bank is gone... :( Photo is from Jan 26.
12166537125_8d269cc532_b.jpg
Thanks for the pics -- had been curious how the chalet was faring this winter. Beautiful area.

jgreisel

Post by jgreisel » March 25th, 2014, 1:10 pm

Wow. The amount of erosion under the chalet is amazing compared to some other photos Ive seen the last few months.
This is one Id like to do soon, before the chalet goes crashing into the river.
See more pics on my blog: http://cjsjaunts.blogspot.com/

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » March 25th, 2014, 2:10 pm

mandrake wrote:Wow, there's been some serious erosion under the chalet since I was there in January. Looks like some ten feet of the bank is gone...
This is such a bummer! :(
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

drm

Post by drm » March 25th, 2014, 5:43 pm

retired jerry wrote:Did you take your boots off to cross river? Isn't there a North Fork Quinalt crossing also?

Only one bear? From distance? Bummer, supposed to be more bears there.
We all wore sandals or the like for the Pyrites Creek crossing, which was the only wade. You don't cross the North Fork, or even see it on the trail.

I saw 5 bears last time I did this route, so one bear was minimal. Maybe there are fewer earlier in the season? Who knows. We guessed that more than one bear saw us.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » March 25th, 2014, 7:59 pm

Nice views with the fresh snow up on the peaks!

That is a shame about the chalet. I always hate to see neat old historic buildings bite the dust.

RobinB

Post by RobinB » March 25th, 2014, 9:44 pm

drm wrote:Now, I'm 54. I'm no young whippersnapper and I well know that I'm at the age where the inexorable decline has of late started.
My dad's 60 and I'm 29, but he's still way, way faster than I am. I feel like I might spend the next thirty years training just to be as fast as some of you "old folks." :)

And thanks for the fantastic trip report. I remember seeing that chalet when I was a kid. Sad to see it go.