Lamberson Butte & Elk Meadows - 2014/03/23

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Guy

Lamberson Butte & Elk Meadows - 2014/03/23

Post by Guy » March 24th, 2014, 4:14 pm

Opening pic

Sunday was a classic Spring Snow Shoe day on Hood. We set out from Sandy at 8:00 with a plan to reprise our previous years trip to Palmateer Point. On the way though we decided that a Blue Grass Ridge, Elk Meadows loop might be more fun on such a sunny day so we headed for the Meadows Nordic Center instead.

Snow shoes were not needed as we set out but we put our micro spikes on. When you head this way in the winter time you never know what the Newton Creek Crossing will be like but on this trip it was an easy crossing on the Summer logs that are still there!

Our snowshoes were still strapped to our packs as we climbed up from the creek but the micro spikes were definitely useful! The snow was in such good condition for walking on we again changed our plan & decided to see if we could make it up Gnarl Ridge & so at the trail junction we set off through the trees in that general direction. No footprints to follow from this point on!

We used the GPS to stay in roughly the same vicinity as the trail but we never actually saw any signs of it.

At about 5800' the snow started to get very sticky & was balling up under our microspikes so we finally put our snowshoes on.

The final half mile of the Gnarl Ridge trail up to the overlook is on a steep side slope and without realizing it we found ourselves climbing above the trail to stay on easier terrain. Before we realized it we we just shy of the Summit of Lamberson Butte looking down on the Timberline trail below us & the Mountain directly in front of us. The perfect Lunch Spot!

Chizuru enjoying the view!

Lunch

A Celebratory Jump :)

After Lunch we thought we better head on up the final few feet to tag the summit then return by comming down the south side of the Butte.

Lamberson Butte Summit

The Dwarf Summit Forest!

Heading down the South side.

Heading down the South side.

It was still only early afternoon so we figured we also had time to tag Elk Meadows on the way out & so headed off in that direction once below the Timberline Trail.

Crossing Elk Meadows

The old Elk Meadows Shelter.

Heading Home!

The hike came in at 9 miles with 2575' of EG. Besides my Garmin I took my Galaxy S4 along with Back Country Navigator loaded. On my previous HTC phone this had never been an option as the phone coundn't keep a satellite lock under trees. The S4 did much better, in fact even though I was only carrying it in my trouser pocket it kept a signal lock for the whole hike & there was less than 0.5 of a mile & 150' difference between the 2 in distance and EG. The map below has both tracks loaded & as you can see there is virtually no difference. Of course this doesn't mean I'll be leaving the Garmin at home as I can't put Eric's Gorge Mapset on the phone but it will be a nice second option.

Garmin (Red) versus Samsung S4 (White)

A great day to be out on the mountain!
A few more pics of the day here.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Roy

Re: Lamberson Butte & Elk Meadows - 2014/03/23

Post by Roy » March 25th, 2014, 1:45 am

Another great tr with the usual gang I sure hope I can do something like this in my future.

Interesting about your Galaxy I wonder if my LG spectrum would preform . I know it works better than my Galaxy S-2

Gota try that and find out if it works. Wife got me a Garmin last fall on a good price still dont know how to use it.You would think all the time on the couch in Feb I could have mastered it. I'm just not a gear gear guy. Last summer I was still using altimeter map and compass.

Should master the Garmin first, wife said it was a waste of money sits in the closet with my AE1, Pentax 35 mil SLR and Sony 8 ml camcorder :D

And still dont know how all the crap works on our 2012 Pilot dash,My 06 f-150 is easy at least the Honda has constant all wheel drive but there's settings for towing low speed and freeway travel We just leave it in auto, And I cant stand it talking to me,

I dont dive it often.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » March 25th, 2014, 4:17 am

Lamberson Butte is a great destination and that dwarf summit forest photo is great. Thanks for the trip report.
Ann
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » March 25th, 2014, 4:41 am

Nice TR guys!

Guy, try your S4 in the Gorge, I'd like to know how well it does in there with BCN.

My S3 Mini just won't work under a single tree but using the FREE Gps Essentials app. Maybe the
S4 antenna is better?

I'm checking into the ins and outs of getting Gorge Mapset into a phone as I also want to see it
on my smartphone etc :)

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » March 25th, 2014, 8:42 am

Wow, that Dwarf Summit Forest pic looks otherworldly! Nicely done!

Glad to hear about your S4 working just as well as your Garmin, too. I use my new(ish) S3 mini and GPS Essentials for my tracking needs on each hike. The elevation profile is always way off (like saying that the Hardy Ridge Loop I did was over 7,300 feet of elevation gain!) but otherwise it's been good for the last 15 or so forested hikes, and gpsfly seems to mostly autocorrect my elevation profile anyway. And the elevation isn't as important to me as the track is. In researching to purchase a two-way satellite communicator over the past couple of weeks, I found a thing called a SatSleeve that turns a smartphone into a satellite phone. Brilliant idea but only available in Europe for now. As tech continues to improve, the lines will probably blur a lot more between devices such as smartphones and their dedicated counterparts like Garmin.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » March 25th, 2014, 8:42 am

Eric Peterson wrote: I'm checking into the ins and outs of getting Gorge Mapset into a phone as I also want to see it
on my smartphone etc :)
This would be awesome! :D
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

miah66

Post by miah66 » March 25th, 2014, 11:46 am

Pulled this hike off in October of last year and we had several feet of snow to contend with around the T-trail. Ran into a group of backpackers bailing on the circumnavigation at Gnarl Ridge. They were gonna attempt to make it over Lamberson and around the north face :shock: and down to Tilly Jane for a ride home. Tough going. Not much snow to speak of at the Meadows at that point. Nice outing! Still (and always) rockin' the shorts I see.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Guy

Post by Guy » March 26th, 2014, 4:56 pm

Thanks Everyone!

Eric, yeah the Gorge will be the real test for the S4, I'll let you know how it goes! Sure is nice to have the bigger screen & the easier interface for entering waypoint names etc. Still drawbacks though one the screen is still off by default so you have to activate it every time you want to look at the map!

Your Gorge Mapset on an android would be a great addition & very cool!

miah66, first trip in 2014 with some "shorts time" :)

For others contemplating this trip, there are normally a few footptints to follow all the way to Elk Meadows but up to Lamberson Butte & Gnarl Ridge is an off trail trip during the winter. You will have to be able to navigate your own way there.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors