Bay Ocean spit and Cape Kiwanda

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Roy

Bay Ocean spit and Cape Kiwanda

Post by Roy » March 24th, 2014, 1:43 pm

Saturday we hired the neighbor kid to help us take a dieing flowing tree down. It was always a mess on our patio, not a big tree but it seemed the little flowers fell off by the thousands thru Aug then the small leafs were all over in the fall.They got in house,garage and our cars. It seemed it was non stop removing them from the kitchen and family room floors.

It is very difficult when you've done stuff like this for your whole life and your mostly on the sidelines.I did teach my wife and the kid how cut with a pole saw and chain saw and not pinch the bar. I held rope tied off several time so nothing hit the house.

My guess is if I was not there they could have got hurt and ruined the pole saw and bent my chainsaw blade.

So I was happy when she said lets go to the coast tomorrow. The kid was 18 told me had never been to the coast :shock:

We had never been to Bay Ocean spit so we went there its very quite with hardly anyone there. So we took a long walk on the beach, very nice having it to our self's.

My wife made a friend in the parking lot he was a little shy.

Its bit of a ways to the beach from where you park.

No wind no people a nice spot for a walk on the beach.

But in less than half hour drive we entered a different universe.

Circus Olay Kiwanda.

People were flying

People stared at cars that had no business driving on the beach.

A man road a piece wood down the dune.

Everyone ignored fences and signs.

This vulture was waiting to make some cash off the people that got stuck.
I dont think he made much there were to many nice people with four wheelers tow straps and winch's.

It was a great day at the beach.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

UTurn

Re: Bay Ocean spit and Cape Kiwanda

Post by UTurn » March 25th, 2014, 6:44 am

Beautiful pictures! It's been too long since I've had a long walk on the beach.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » March 25th, 2014, 7:00 am

Nice ocean views! :D

Did you guys stop in at the Pelican Pub?

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » March 25th, 2014, 7:03 am

Eric Peterson wrote:Nice ocean views! :D

Can you see the ocean from the beach?

Roy

Post by Roy » March 25th, 2014, 10:14 am

Sean Thomas wrote:

Can you see the ocean from the beach?
Not if you spend to much time in the Pelican pub :D
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Guy

Post by Guy » March 25th, 2014, 2:30 pm

With the exception of trying to drive my Kia onto the Beach I've done & still do all those other things you mentioned.

When the kids were growing up we went to Pacific City every Memorial Day, climbing the Sand Dune & then running back down as fast as you can was a mandatory pre Pelican Lunch activity. Even made my folks do it when they come over from the UK for a visit :) .

The Pelican is a bit overpriced these days but you can't beat the location on a Sunny Windless day & I do think their IPA is one of the best!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

potato

Post by potato » March 25th, 2014, 3:19 pm

I have great memories from both of those places, thanks for the TR.
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

Roy

Post by Roy » March 25th, 2014, 6:42 pm

I bet its nice, but we dont drink now both of us coming from large families we have witnessed the damage of booze and drugs to loved ones and worst, the kids pay the price.By no means judgmental we were married in 1978 indulged a lot. At 35 we decided to have Roy jr and we thought a chemical free environment to raise him was the best. I am pron to get fat and beer gets me, gaining weight.

Oh Christmas Ill have beer or wine or my favorite Gin and tonic sometimes we have 40 people in our house sometimes Christmas eve I need a drink or two.

Rambling but this was funny.A couple years back I did quicky up Grouse vista 88 at the trail head 90 plus on top over 100 when I got home I was parched, We have a fridge in the Garage the spirits left are in there all year or for guests plus we stock it with soda and water.

Well that day just booze in there I grabbed a mikes hard lemonade chugged it it was good I chugged another. Not realizing the alcohol content I went to take a shower and bam I had to sit on the stairs. My son was 9? and said whats wrong I told him I was drunk but its would pass. So he calls my wife at her sisters and she cracked up and said those things are at least 8% So empty stomach and dehydrated I got pasted for a short time.

Roy

Post by Roy » March 25th, 2014, 6:57 pm

Guy wrote:With the exception of trying to drive my Kia onto the Beach I've done & still do all those other things you mentioned.

When the kids were growing up we went to Pacific City every Memorial Day, climbing the Sand Dune & then running back down as fast as you can was a mandatory pre Pelican Lunch activity. Even made my folks do it when they come over from the UK for a visit :) .

The Pelican is a bit overpriced these days but you can't beat the location on a Sunny Windless day & I do think their IPA is one of the best!
I like The cape we had fun it was just such a contrast we pulled a camary out with tow straps and our Pilot he was only a few feet off the concrete.

We had a cape lookout fathers day camping tradition my son had more fun on that hill he would not leave.
I dont care when its crowded I missed the Dory boats Sunday.
potato wrote:I have great memories from both of those places, thanks for the TR.
Sunday there was no place bad to be at the coast.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » March 26th, 2014, 5:14 am

Roy wrote:

I bet its nice, but we dont drink now both of us coming from large families we have witnessed the damage of booze and drugs to loved ones and worst, the kids pay the price.By no means judgmental we were married in 1978 indulged a lot. At 35 we decided to have Roy jr and we thought a chemical free environment to raise him was the best. I am pron to get fat and beer gets me, gaining weight.

Oh Christmas Ill have beer or wine or my favorite Gin and tonic sometimes we have 40 people in our house sometimes Christmas eve I need a drink or two.
If you don't drink alcohol they (and most the other brewpubs) also make realllllly good root beer. Far better than what's available at the grocery stores.