Coronary Ridge - Kings Mountain loop, 03/22/14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Crusak

Coronary Ridge - Kings Mountain loop, 03/22/14

Post by Crusak » March 24th, 2014, 6:55 am

MarsIsCobra and I met at the Kings Mountain trailhead on Saturday for a quick morning loop hike out in the Oregon Coast Range. It was a great morning for a hike.

We went up the Kings Mtn Trail .1 miles to the four-way intersection with the Wilson River Trail, then west about 2 miles on the WRT to the start of the Coronary Ridge section. At the top we joined with the Kings Mtn Trail again, and hit the summit. From there we made a leisurely descent back down to the start.

Back at the four-way junction again I suggested that we go check out Little Stonehenge, so we added that to our loop. There is a newly rerouted section of the WRT on that end. The trail now goes uphill and around the marshy spot where Little Stonehenge is at. We had to take the old trail over, and go off-trail a little way. To finish our loop we continued uphill to the new section of trail - and we encountered a really smelly rotting elk carcass. The elk was pretty far gone, but didn't look like a hunting kill.

Conditions on the WRT, Kings and Coronary Ridge were great. The trails are clear and easy to follow, and trail surfaces are all looking fine. No need at this point to get out and do any work on Coronary Ridge (something EP and I had talked about doing sometime).

It was an awesome morning for hiking, and great to get out and hike with Mars. Thanks for joining me on this one. I didn't take many pics, but here are a few.

On the Wilson River Trail. I still enjoy hiking this as much as I can.
DSCF3823.jpg
View from one of the open areas on Coronary Ridge
DSCF3824.jpg
The sign pointing to 'Kings Jr'
DSCF3826.jpg
On the summit of Kings Mtn. Looking west toward the coast. No ocean views today. :D
DSCF3827.jpg
Mars getting the 360° shot of Little Stonehenge
DSCF3828.jpg
Shortcut uphill from Little Stonehenge to the new section of the WRT (and near that rotting elk). I decided to spare you all from seeing the pictures I took of that mess. :(
DSCF3833.jpg
Map showing the loop we hiked. Here's the gpsfly upload link: http://gpsfly.org/a/3149
Coronary Ridge-Kings Mtn-WRT-Little Stonehenge loop.jpg
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Sean Thomas

Re: Coronary Ridge - Kings Mountain loop, 03/22/14

Post by Sean Thomas » March 24th, 2014, 7:27 am

Nice pics, Crus!! I cant decide if the ever present green in the coast range is prettier in the rain or bathed in sun. Both are awesome tho!

obera

Post by obera » March 24th, 2014, 8:17 am

looks and sounds like you two had a GREAT hike!! :)
oh-beer-ah

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » March 24th, 2014, 2:34 pm

Nice! Sunshine makes hiking just that much better. The WRT is a great trail and I've come to look forward to using it for a leisurely return to the TH after an Elk/Kings loop.

Roy

Post by Roy » March 24th, 2014, 10:21 pm

Nice report we drove down hwy 6 Sunday and all the trailheads were overflowing with cars.
Do you ever run into Mark in your frequent hikes down there he used to live there.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Crusak

Post by Crusak » March 24th, 2014, 10:29 pm

Sean Thomas wrote:Nice pics, Crus!! I cant decide if the ever present green in the coast range is prettier in the rain or bathed in sun. Both are awesome tho!
I agree, rain or shine, winter-spring-summer-fall, it's a great place to explore. :)
Roy wrote:Nice report we drove down hwy 6 Sunday and all the trailheads were overflowing with cars.
Do you ever run into Mark in your frequent hikes down there he used to live there.
Haven't seen or heard from Mayhem in a long time. Big mystery...
VanMarmot wrote:Nice! Sunshine makes hiking just that much better. The WRT is a great trail and I've come to look forward to using it for a leisurely return to the TH after an Elk/Kings loop.
Tim and I talked about doing the Elk-Kings loop as we ascended up to the summit of Kings. I think that'll be a hike that gets done soon. I've always done that hike from the Kings TH, clockwise, so I/we finished on the descent from the top of Kings. It'd be different starting at Elk Creek. I mentioned the other day how it would also be interesting to include an ascent or decent on Coronary Ridge in the Elk-Kings loop, making it longer and about 300' more EG.
obera wrote:looks and sounds like you two had a GREAT hike!! :)
We did. ;) I'm looking forward to hiking with Mars and Obera sometime, someday. :) As long as I can keep up. ha.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Roy

Post by Roy » March 25th, 2014, 12:32 am

Roy wrote:Nice report we drove down hwy 6 Sunday and all the trailheads were overflowing with cars.
So I guess your the new King of Kings MT ;)

Haven't seen or heard from Mayhem in a long time. Big mystery.

Kind of the way of online sites people in and out. When i was in the Dalles last my friend up there is a lurker he brought up that 10,000 post thread on 99 cent emergency blankets. We started up telling ludicrous scientific claims about Everest and arctic survivals from a dollar store Mylar blanket .His wife and I were laughing so hard I was in tears. He never smiled and told his wild stories like a reporter.

My son surprisingly lurks Sean and Gene are his favorites.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » March 25th, 2014, 4:49 am

Nice TR guys!

:x But I beg to differ once again on the ocean views, although just a tiny sliver can be seen on a day like
you blokes had.

:roll: Screenshot from your picture:
kings_ocean.JPG
:lol:

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 25th, 2014, 5:11 am

No, not ocean, just clouds, can't see ocean from Kings, let Karl analyze picture :lol:

Is that joke too old yet?

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » March 25th, 2014, 5:15 am

retired jerry wrote:No, not ocean, just clouds, can't see ocean from Kings, let Karl analyze picture :lol:

Is that joke too old yet?
Joke is never too old, but there's ocean views from below Kings, not a joke! :D