School Canyon/Little Badger Creek Loop: 3/16/14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
retired jerry

Re: School Canyon/Little Badger Creek Loop: 3/16/14

Post by retired jerry » April 3rd, 2014, 3:25 pm

You touched the deer legs??? Yuckkk...

I was up there a couple weeks ago. Too lazy to do trip report.

legs:
045resize.jpg
short distance away, poop and tracks:
043resize.jpg
I assumed Coyote, but it was a while before and had melted some.

Did anyone see the "Nova" where they talked about wolves in Yellowstone. Poor Coyotes. Were "top dogs". Wolves killed them just because they were there. The Coyotes were terrified in the opinion of the (human) researcher. I think Coyotes have done pretty good with human encroachment so I won't feel too sorry for them.

And then there was the "Nova" about wolf/Coyote hybrids...

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » April 4th, 2014, 10:23 am

mtnhiker56 wrote:Did you happen to see any wolf prints next to the deer leg?
No prints of any kind due to no snow or muddy ground. My guess is that the deer was killed by a cougar. Other animals may have been feeding on the remains, including Chris :lol:

Jerry, looks like the snow level dropped since I was there. I did see both of those shows you mentioned. The main thing I got out of them is, once again, reaffirming that when humans meddle too much with nature, the results usually are not good.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 4th, 2014, 12:06 pm

"The main thing I got out of them is, once again, reaffirming that when humans meddle too much with nature, the results usually are not good."

There was a recent "Nature" on PBS about re-intorducing apex predators, such as wolves in Yellowstone. The Coyotes didn't like it, but the habitat is much more diverse now, closer to what it was before. The transition period can be difficult.

A hunting outfitter was incredulous - wolves are like a cancer and why would we re-introduce after we removed it. I have a tiny amount of sympathy for him.

romann

Post by romann » April 13th, 2014, 11:14 pm

Brad - cool TR! That big campsite just before the spring & past the turn to helispot is one of my favorite, I go there couple of times each year. I didn't see your report in time for my last week's 1-night trip, but took a hand saw just in case, and it was quite a work-out (still lots of down trees remain, and I didn't even go on lower trail). And this trail was in excellent shape late last fall :o
Before.JPG
After.JPG
[quote=Brad]Following the directions from the field guide, we took the very short side trip to check out the Old Kinzel Mine (3160’). Romann says it’s 80’ long and curves like a “J”, has resident mice and is safe to explore. I’ll take his word for it. Besides I’m afraid of mice. Seriously, mice represent more of a danger than bears or cougars due to Hantavirus.[/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I should have added in FG "as you walk in, keep your bear spray ready as you near the end of J-curve". Probably will need to put a warning there somewhere, right now it almost looks like encouragement to explore.

[quote=Jeremy]I forgot to mention it Brad, but I'm pretty sure Water (Matt) said he has had his car gnawed on twice @ that trailhead by porcupines. He takes fencing w/ him to put around his car when he parks out there![/quote]

It was my car, but I think it's the chipmunks - they got above the engine right under the hood, into really small space. Ate some wires and the coolant tube. It's the only area where I net my car, not that it will keep them away but maybe some will think it's too much work :roll: .
DSC_0357.JPG
BTW, the shorter road via SR-26, NF 43 & 48 have just opened last week; it had some snow back then but should be clear by now. It also had some blowdowns (cut just so a car can get around them on the shoulder) so be extra careful on this road.
DSC_0358.JPG

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 14th, 2014, 6:22 am

Nice before and after picture :)

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » April 14th, 2014, 7:31 am

Inquiring minds want to know what kind of net you are using? It looks like you drape the top of your car. Don't they crawl up from underneath too? I never had anything bother my car up at the fire tower, but maybe they figure if that little honda civic could make it up there it was to tough to eat :D
Woodswalker

romann

Post by romann » April 14th, 2014, 1:12 pm

It's the same kind of thin netting used to cover vegetables/berries from the birds, not very tough but seems to work OK. I don't cover the top of my car - the net goes around the sides & front, and then I put rocks to press it to the ground.

The 3 trailheads on the E side of BCW is the only area I do this, seems to be the area with hungrier rodents or just more of them, I dunno. Don't get this problem in other places.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » April 14th, 2014, 3:33 pm

Thanks for the netting tip!
Woodswalker