Horsethief Butte 3/16

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Roy

Horsethief Butte 3/16

Post by Roy » March 17th, 2014, 11:32 am

I got up early and went to visit a friend in the Dalles. My confinement of the last six weeks was wearing thin and as I drove up 84 it felt good to be going somewhere any where. The gorge looked tired it was gray and no snow even on the highest peaks.After Hood river a filtered sun came thru and brightened things up.

So when I left the Dalles it was strangely calm so I drove over to Washington to check out Horsethief Butte.

My first view from the trail head was its for climbers but I followed the trail out of the very small parking area.

The trail went around to the west side and revealed there was a lot more to this rock.

A trail took me right inside..

And several dead ends for me I needed a trail.

In the center of the this rock Rattle snake sign I believe, with the case around it and white color I thought it was.

My persistence paid off and I got to a nice high spot.

Can you see the little guy on this rock?

There was very little sign of spring you had to look for it.

Its worth a stop if your up that way with just a little easy scrambling there was more to see . But I enjoyed wandering around Horsethief butte there was little wind and the temp was in the mid sixties.

As I finish this tr I look outside at the hail falling whitening my backyard its defiantly spring.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

airoff

Re: Horsethief Butte 3/16

Post by airoff » March 17th, 2014, 11:41 am

Thanks Roy! That is a really fun place to go. I've often recommended it to parents with kids who like to explore nature but who don't like 'traditional hikes'.

I messed around on those rocks for several hours one day a couple years ago while nursing a broken foot. It's perfect for rehabbing.

Thanks again for sharing!

miah66

Post by miah66 » March 17th, 2014, 12:25 pm

Thanks Roy,

I've driven past it many times and thought about stopping, it is definitely on my radar.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » March 18th, 2014, 6:21 am

I agree, it's a nice fun little hike and lots of short fun explorations in the immediate area.
Woodswalker

Roy

Post by Roy » March 18th, 2014, 8:25 am

woodswalker wrote:I agree, it's a nice fun little hike and lots of short fun explorations in the immediate area.
Woodswalker
miah66 wrote:Thanks Roy,

I've driven past it many times and thought about stopping, it is definitely on my radar.
airoff wrote:Thanks Roy! That is a really fun place to go. I've often recommended it to parents with kids who like to explore nature but who don't like 'traditional hikes'.

I messed around on those rocks for several hours one day a couple years ago while nursing a broken foot. It's perfect for rehabbing.

Thanks again for sharing!
It was pretty neat I would like to return there and spend a afternoon scrambling around those rocks.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » March 18th, 2014, 10:26 am

Love the rocks at horse thief butte, thanks for sharing
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » March 18th, 2014, 10:38 am

Such a weird but spectacular-looking area of Washington. This one is on our list, as we didn't make it there the last time we were in the area. Next time you are there, also check out Eightmile Creek Falls. It's maybe a mile east of Horsethief, and in the spring, yields much color in the form of balsamroot and lupine. We didn't see anyone else the day we were there last year (end of March) but I found this trip report from Cheryl http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... =8&t=11407 where she and Greg explored some in that same area. We went all the way to the gate (maybe 1.5 miles?) but we were a bit intimidated by the gate and not really knowing what was beyond it. Even if you can't get past the gate, this is a really nice little detour as you continue to rehab your knee.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

Roy

Post by Roy » March 18th, 2014, 5:14 pm

sprengers4jc wrote:Such a weird but spectacular-looking area of Washington. This one is on our list, as we didn't make it there the last time we were in the area. Next time you are there, also check out Eightmile Creek Falls. It's maybe a mile east of Horsethief, and in the spring, yields much color in the form of balsamroot and lupine. We didn't see anyone else the day we were there last year (end of March) but I found this trip report from Cheryl http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... =8&t=11407 where she and Greg explored some in that same area. We went all the way to the gate (maybe 1.5 miles?) but we were a bit intimidated by the gate and not really knowing what was beyond it. Even if you can't get past the gate, this is a really nice little detour as you continue to rehab your knee.
I had herd of the Dalles ranch and thought about that but didn't do any research about the hike. The butte right off 14 was a easy target.

Its funny rehab hikes, walks have led me to many new and interesting places over the years. That is seeing the glass half full ;)

Roy

Post by Roy » March 20th, 2014, 12:50 pm

My SAR friend read this and ask me to pass this on. People get hurt here some of the easy scrambles and climbs are not very high. I know the east face is nasty I looked down it.

http://www.traditionalmountaineering.or ... alFall.htm

Although roped these guys died in a 35 ft fall.

He told me several hikers have been hurt badly up there on short scrambles.

So I passed it on or he will bug me about it ;)

I told him quit lurking and contribute, not really his style.