Swale Canyon from Harms Rd Th 3/15/14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
jgreisel

Swale Canyon from Harms Rd Th 3/15/14

Post by jgreisel » March 17th, 2014, 9:34 am

"Alters and ticks and sunburns, oh my"
alter.jpg
We decided to check out part of the Klickitat Rail Trail on Saturday. We stopped in Lyle for a few snacks at the mini-mart and then headed down the Centerville HWY to Harms RD. The TH is just about 0.5 miles down the road.
We headed west down the creek. There are a few gates along the trail to keep the cattle in, as this is an open range (at least the first mile or so).
open range.jpg
The trail looses a few hundred feet of elevation as you head down. It goes along an old railroad bed that has long been dismantled.
trail.jpg
jen and diego.jpg
It is still a little too early for the wildflowers, but im thinking in another few weeks, there will be more coming on. We only saw some Columbia desert parsley and one grass widow.
grass widow.jpg
columbia desert parsley.jpg
We hiked down to the 26-9 bridge and had some lunch.
target sign.jpg
bridge and creek.jpg
After a short lunch, we continued on for another couple of miles. There was a nice small waterfall that was draining into the creek that we stopped at and splashed some water on our heads. The sun was intense feeling and it was about 70 out.

We went to about 4 miles and decided to turn around. We enjoyed the beautiful canyon views and the menagerie of wildlife that was around.

Here is a video I shot of a Western Meadow lark that spent a few minutes performing for us.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... 6478654695

We got a kick out of watching the marmots play around in the rocks. We also saw a few lizards and garter snakes.
marmot.jpg
There was a lot of "trail art" along the way that we also looked forward to checking out. The first thing we came across was something that looked like it was straight out of the "True Detectives" series. That is a rattlesnake skin on the skull
side view of alter.jpg
There were also a lot of little sculptures that people have made out of railroad spikes.
rail art 3.jpg
On the way back, we stopped off at the waterfall to get our heads wet again. As we sat for a few minutes I noticed a spot on our dog that wasnt normally there...Low and behold it was a little Tick...drats! I forgot about that detail of this area... We did a tick check on him and found two more. We decided to wait until we got back to the car to do any more tick checking.
After we got back to the car I found one more tick on the dog. None on us so far...

On the drive home, my partner thought she felt a leaf in her hair... and then she realized it was a tick! Her instant reaction was to flick it :( luckily it landed in the drink holder and she was able to grab it with some tissue and kill it.

We did thorough tick checks of the dog and us when we got home...just the 3 on the dog and the one on the human that was found in the car.

Showering up, I noticed I developed a nice farmers "tan" (tan to a ginger = burn)
Despite the ticks and sunburn, it was a beautiful day and a great hike. We will go back to check out other sections of the trail (next time prepared for ticks and sun)
For more photos of this trip, check out my blog: http://cjsjaunts.blogspot.com/2014/03/k ... rd-th.html
See more pics on my blog: http://cjsjaunts.blogspot.com/

Born2BBrad

Re: Swale Canyon from Harms Rd Th 3/15/14

Post by Born2BBrad » March 17th, 2014, 11:32 am

It’s good to see the trail art is still there. I think my “Metal Man” is long gone:

… as well as my “Deer John”:

It was quite the effort to gather tens of pounds of steel from along the trail.

Regarding ticks there, I found it to be tickier than Lyle Cherry Orchard. I remember seeing those bloodsuckers every few feet on the end of blades of grass just waiting to grab on to a warm body.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

jgreisel

Post by jgreisel » March 17th, 2014, 11:41 am

Born2BBrad wrote:It’s good to see the trail art is still there. I think my “Metal Man” is long gone:

… as well as my “Deer John”:

It was quite the effort to gather tens of pounds of steel from along the trail.

Regarding ticks there, I found it to be tickier than Lyle Cherry Orchard. I remember seeing those bloodsuckers every few feet on the end of blades of grass just waiting to grab on to a warm body.
I remembered seeing a pic of your metal man and was hoping we would have seen it, but he must have found his way to another trail ;)

The Deer John is also gone, but from your pic, it looks like his parts might have been turned into the altar scene...

Thats good to know about the ticks possible not being as bad at the orchard. Ive been wanting to check that area out too. And now that Ive been reminded about their presence, we can be more prepared for them. i was just glad that the one that was discovered in the car ride home didnt cause an accident ;)
See more pics on my blog: http://cjsjaunts.blogspot.com/

drm

Post by drm » March 18th, 2014, 6:12 pm

The blooms are starting up there.