Oneonta/Franklin/Multnomah

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
UTurn

Oneonta/Franklin/Multnomah

Post by UTurn » March 16th, 2014, 5:27 am

We were able to get out on Saturday and it wasn't hard to choose the destination based on this trip report. http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... =8&t=18346. Thank you, Robinb!

We started out around 9:15 at the Oneonta trail head and made our way up to Triple Falls, crossed the bridge and decided to check out Franklin Ridge. We had our map and compass with us and it came in handy a couple of times. Not realizing what a doozy of a climb this was, I wondered what I'd gotten us into. A little history, we are in our mid-50's and were overweight couch potatoes until the past couple of years. I love reading trip reports because they inspire me to get out and move! So thank you, to all of you for the inspiration!

The trail is in good condition, with a few snow patch crossings that should be gone by Monday. There were quite a few rock and tree slides but nothing serious until we were on the 400 trail, (which I wrote about in the trail report section).

We didn't pass a single person after the Triple Falls bridge until Franklin Ridge. There we ran into a couple of trail runners and also a Portland Hiker. Shame on me because I can't remember his name here but I knew I recognized him right away. If you're reading this, please remind me!

I absolutely loved this hike for the diverse terrain and the beauty of the creeks, the falls, the heavy, swelling moss and the birds singing along the way. At one point we heard an animal sound that was a bit unsettling but couldn't see anything. It was a low "hmuf, humf, humf......." similar to a dog on the verge of barking but not letting it come out. It was deep and low. I sang a happy tune to settle my nerves and we continued on our way until we couldn't hear it anymore. If you heard someone singing "America, the Beautiful" up there yesterday.......that was me. At least the song was fitting. :D

It was a perfect day with perfect temperatures. I highly recommend this hike. Our little mechanical devise with all our little side trails showed 16.3 miles. Not bad for a couple of rookies. :)
Attachments
Oneonta.jpg
Moss, beautiful moss!
oneonta1.jpg
oneonta2.jpg
Beautiful section, just above where we heard the animal sounds.
oneonta4.jpg
oneonta5.jpg
oneonta8.jpg
oneonta7.jpg
oneonta6.jpg
At the finish..

RobinB

Re: Oneonta/Franklin/Multnomah

Post by RobinB » March 16th, 2014, 12:27 pm

Thanks for the TR, and I'm so pleased it worked out!

awildman

Post by awildman » March 16th, 2014, 2:34 pm

Nice! Well done! I like this loop a lot. Next, you'll have to try it going up the Elevator Shaft, through Multnomah Basin, up Franklin Ridge, and down Oneonta Creek. A fun and challenging variation.

I think the "hmuf, humf, humf......." you heard is a Blue Grouse. And they love "America, the Beautiful"! :)
Rambling on at Allison Outside

nautachris

Post by nautachris » March 17th, 2014, 6:46 am

U Turn -

That was me you saw at the top of Franklin Ridge! You're right, I didn't realize how far I had come up, because that is one hell of a descent back to the Oneonta parking area! Not to mention aggravating due to the human traffic jams past Triple Falls. The bridge out at Multnomah is kind of a blessing and keeps the lower sections of Larch Mountain almost peaceful.

Hope you had a great time!

Chris S
Lebanon, OR

UTurn

Post by UTurn » March 17th, 2014, 11:40 am

awildman wrote:

I think the "hmuf, humf, humf......." you heard is a Blue Grouse. And they love "America, the Beautiful"! :)
That's exactly what it was! Found this on Youtube. Now I wish we could have seen the bird. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRcfmj6elc8

UTurn

Post by UTurn » March 17th, 2014, 11:44 am

nautachris wrote:U Turn -

That was me you saw at the top of Franklin Ridge! You're right, I didn't realize how far I had come up, because that is one hell of a descent back to the Oneonta parking area! Not to mention aggravating due to the human traffic jams past Triple Falls. The bridge out at Multnomah is kind of a blessing and keeps the lower sections of Larch Mountain almost peaceful.

Hope you had a great time!

Chris S
Lebanon, OR
It was great running into you up there. We had a great time and you are correct, it was so quiet coming back down the Multnomah side. We were exhausted on the 400 trail back to Oneonta. Awesome hike!
awildman wrote:Nice! Well done! I like this loop a lot. Next, you'll have to try it going up the Elevator Shaft, through Multnomah Basin, up Franklin Ridge, and down Oneonta Creek. A fun and challenging variation.
I don't think Elevator Shaft is for me but I'm learning not to rule anything out...... that's for sure!

gene mc

Post by gene mc » March 17th, 2014, 1:13 pm

What a neat post. I too am only a couple of years from overweight couch potato status, and have likewise been inspired by the posts here. Posts such as yours! :)
I went up the elevator shaft on Thursday planning to climb Little Cougar but decided to just continue up Franklin Ridge and down Oneonta. I had not been up that ridge in 20 years. It is a beautiful hike indeed. And a good workout as well.

airoff

Post by airoff » March 17th, 2014, 2:21 pm

UTurn wrote:
awildman wrote:

That's exactly what it was! Found this on Youtube. Now I wish we could have seen the bird. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRcfmj6elc8
I snapped a pic of a grouse heading up Franklin Ridge awhile back. It was the first time I'd seen one before it saw me. Typically the only sound I hear is me screaming like a frightened child whenever they pull that little trick of flying out of the bushes to distract you from their offspring.

;)
13950947732720.jpg

UTurn

Post by UTurn » March 17th, 2014, 4:58 pm

gene mc wrote:What a neat post. I too am only a couple of years from overweight couch potato status, and have likewise been inspired by the posts here. Posts such as yours! :)
I went up the elevator shaft on Thursday planning to climb Little Cougar but decided to just continue up Franklin Ridge and down Oneonta. I had not been up that ridge in 20 years. It is a beautiful hike indeed. And a good workout as well.
Congratulations to you! The healthy life is so much more fun.
airoff wrote: I snapped a pic of a grouse heading up Franklin Ridge awhile back. It was the first time I'd seen one before it saw me. Typically the only sound I hear is me screaming like a frightened child whenever they pull that little trick of flying out of the bushes to distract you from their offspring.

;)
I'm so glad you warned me about this because on some parts of that trail, it's a long way down if you're startled. ;)