Maiden Peak Snowshoextravaganza!

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
miah66

Maiden Peak Snowshoextravaganza!

Post by miah66 » February 24th, 2014, 3:59 pm

Opening shot:

My friend Matt planned a snowshoe camping trip to the Maiden Peak shelter in Willamette Nat'l Forest for this past weekend. We watched the forecast with fingers crossed as it looked perfect for a winter outing. Tons of snow all week, followed by clear skies Friday and Saturday and rain on Sunday evening. As rarely happens, the forecast held true.

We met up with our friends Cyndy and Andy and headed off from the Willamette Pass Ski Area. As we drove up the pass, there wasn't any snow at all until about 3000'. :shock: We started to think we might be HIKING and not snowshoeing to the shelter. As we climbed, the snow got deeper and deeper and we were in about 12-18" of new snow at the ski area. 8-)

Andy was pulling a sled and skiing, so we opted to approach Maiden Peak Saddle via the groomed service road. Once atop the service road, we would ascend the ski slope to meet the PCT and take it to the shelter. It was about a 6 mile journey.

The service road was an easy grade and uneventful, except for the awesome new snow and solitude afforded us by starting early on a Friday. We reached the ski area boundary and crossed the slope keeping a wary eye on the uphill side for descending skiers.

Weather was partly cloudy w/ some sunbreaks and warmed to about 35 degrees. The new snow began to fall out of the trees and was either a hazard or entertainment depending on where it landed! :lol:

A group of 8 skiers from a Bend Meetup group were planning on staying at the shelter that same weekend and they broke a trail up the Gold Lake route and another skier (John) broke a trail on the PCT route so we followed his tracks from the Maiden Peak Saddle to the shelter. The going was slow because of the deep powder and trees dumping snow as you walked under. It was warm enough to hike in just a midlayer but the threat of snow going down your shirt forced you to break out the shell!

The shelter is an octagon shaped building w/ a woodstove, some benches and a large sleeping loft. There was already a group of 12 there when we arrived, and I'm not a fan of sleeping among that many people, so I opted to snow camp instead.

Snow conditions were perfect and Andy took advantage of the opportunity to build an igloo for his shelter.

The stars at night were absolutely amazing. I sat on the edge of my tent before I went to bed just staring up at them and contemplating our dumb luck in the middle of this crummy winter we've had so far.

Our plan the next morning was to head up to Maiden Peak for some views and it certainly was a perfect day. The skiers had intended to go this route as well and we hoped they would break a trail for us. ;) It turns out they missed the turnoff to the peak, but we followed on expecting them to start ascending the peak at some point. After a mile of continuing around the mountain and reluctant to begin the daunting task of breaking 2.3 miles of trail up 2000' in deep powder...we finally came to the realization that we were going to have to do it if we wanted to make it up and back to camp in time. We set a turn-back time of 3:00pm. It was 11:30. We turned towards the peak and started climbing.

At first it was really tight, really small trees that forced us to find ways through the labyrinth of tree wells and limbs. It was grueling. After 1/2 mile or so, we broke into an awesome forest of huge mountain hemlocks that felt like soldiers hiding the summit. Some of these guys were at least 5' thick. The slope was gradually steepening.

We continued up, step by step through the continually deepening snow.

Photo by Matt Tharp

Behind us and through the trees, we caught tiny glimpses of the views that were awaiting high above. The 3 sisters. Diamond Peak. Odell Lake.
Like characters in a story you always read about and finally get to see for the first time.

Finally we broke into a clearing and were just amazed:

The trees were like nothing I've ever seen before in person.

We arrived at the false summit and a crater filled w/ snow. Just an awesome place.

We made it to the summit and tooled around for a bit just in amazement of the trees and the views and the feeling of accomplishment. It is a great feeling to blaze a trail like that. When we spent several hours following the ski trails that didn't lead up and we decided to go for it, I didn't really think we would make it. I mean, I kind of hoped we would, but it just seemed so far away. Matt had waited several years to do this trip and conditions were perfect. We knew if we didn't try REALLY hard, we would regret it. I'm so glad we soldiered on.

We carried our bodies back to the shelter before dark and settled in for another cold night. If you opt to go to the shelter, I suggest bringing a warm bag (and earplugs, I'm told :lol: :lol: ) The temp inside at night is pretty much the same as outside. It was about 25 degrees when I went inside every morning.

We exited the area via the PCT past Rosary Lakes in great weather on Sunday. There were good views of Pulpit Rock:

From Lower Rosary lake:

Lunchtime:

A pretty awesome weekend. 2 nights, about 20 miles total, 3000' eg.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

cfm

Re: Maiden Peak Snowshoextravaganza!

Post by cfm » February 24th, 2014, 4:29 pm

Wow, that's beautiful, especially those trees!

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 24th, 2014, 4:31 pm

Wow! :shock: That scenery up top was just stunning! What a treat to be there!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » February 24th, 2014, 4:52 pm

Dang! Looks amazing up there! Glad you guys could make it up and enjoy the summit :)

miah66

Post by miah66 » February 24th, 2014, 5:16 pm

kepPNW wrote:Wow! :shock: That scenery up top was just stunning! What a treat to be there!
You said it Karl! Thanks for reading guys.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Zia

Post by Zia » February 24th, 2014, 5:26 pm

Wow! those pictures are amazing. I bet it was even more so in person. Thanks for the fantastic TR :)

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » February 24th, 2014, 5:40 pm

So that's where they've been keeping the winter wonderland! Gorgeous pictures. You were soooo lucky to do this trip under such perfect conditions. I couldn't find an "insanely jealous" smilie to put here [ :!: ].

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » February 24th, 2014, 6:49 pm

Wow! You two picked the perfect window of opportunity! Your photos are stunning and I'm glad you made it to the summit. Thanks for sharing such a great trip.
Ann
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

weathercrazy

Post by weathercrazy » February 24th, 2014, 7:02 pm

That 5th one down is AMAZING! It really shows man in nature.

UTurn

Post by UTurn » February 24th, 2014, 7:05 pm

These pictures took my breath away! Absolutely amazing!