Slushy Storey Burn - Gales Creek Loop: 2-14-14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

Slushy Storey Burn - Gales Creek Loop: 2-14-14

Post by Sean Thomas » February 14th, 2014, 3:32 pm

It was a beautiful slushfest in the coast range today :) The loop of choice was a Storey Burn/Gales Creek Loop Hike through some of the lush forest near Rogers Camp and Low Divide Creek. I parked the car at the Summit TH and took a shortcut on the Eliot Creek ATV Trail(oops) to get down to the Devils Lake Fork TH. The trail crosses under the highway and winds its way north to the Storey Burn TH. The Eliot Creek Trail had been Splintercatted:

The sun tried to peek out over the ridge while I had breakfast at the Devils Lake TH:

In some of the open areas north of the highway there were lots of these pine trees. There 5 needles to a bundle so maybe there are young Western Whites?

The Salal was pretty with its drippy leaves on the way down to Gales Creek:

The Storey Burn Trail crosses some nice little streamlets, some of which are seasonal. Today they all looked like they could last year round but we know how that can change once the dry weather sets in:

The .8 mile stretch of the Gales Creek trail from the junction with Storey Burn passes one incredible Douglas Fir that survived the burns of the 30's and 40's:

Gales Creek was raging pretty good from the road bridge near the camping area. Here is a shot looking upstream:

I followed the Gales Creek Trail for a couple miles back up to the highway to get back to the TH and complete the loop. The trail follows within sight(and sometimes reach) of Low Divide Creek as it goes from the summit TH area down to the confluence with Gales Creek. Although the streams were running pretty good the only extreme discoloration in any of the water was in Low Divide Creek. Which wasn't a big surprise as there was an active timber felling operation near the highway in between the Gales Creek Overlook and Rogers Camp with flaggers controlling traffic on 6. The headwaters of Low Divide Creek are very close to the logging op. and it seems the creek was taking the brunt of the mucky runoff:

The water was running right under the bridge:

I think I saw some kitty tracks just off the trail on my way back up:

There was a dam or two on the creek as I neared the TH, lots of beaver signs in the area too:

For those not wanting to deal with the extra driving and or inability to get to some of the gorge TH's there is always the coast and the coast range for this weekend :) There is still of a lot of slush to trudge through but im thinking of heading out again tomorrow maybe! What a place we live in :)

Crusak

Re: Slushy Storey Burn - Gales Creek Loop: 2-14-14

Post by Crusak » February 14th, 2014, 8:23 pm

Sean Thomas wrote:For those not wanting to deal with the extra driving and or inability to get to some of the gorge TH's there is always the coast and the coast range for this weekend :) There is still of a lot of slush to trudge through but im thinking of heading out again tomorrow maybe! What a place we live in :)
Nice choice, Sean! I've been wanting to get out and do a long loop up there someday soon, likely this spring.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » February 15th, 2014, 10:12 am

Thanks, Sean - nice report!
In some of the open areas north of the highway there were lots of these pine trees. There 5 needles to a bundle so maybe there are young Western Whites?
I think so, too -- but odd to see them so low. I usually see them above 3,000 feet in the Cascades. Hmm... Bobcat can school us on this one, I suspect.

Thanks for posting!

Tom :)

-Q-

Post by -Q- » February 17th, 2014, 8:14 pm

I just did this same exact hike today (2/17), except in reverse.
Only other variation was I used the Gravelle Brothers Trail instead of the Elliot Creek OHV trail.

Update... all the snow & slush is 100% gone.
Happy hiking :P