Tom Dick & Harry Loop Finally "snowshoeable" 2014/02/02

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Guy

Tom Dick & Harry Loop Finally "snowshoeable" 2014/02/02

Post by Guy » February 3rd, 2014, 5:35 pm

Opening pic..

Some fresh snow in the hills last week gave us hope that there might actually be enough on the ground at Government Camp to make the Tom Dick & Harry loop worth snow shoeing.

We set off from the Ski Bowl parking area and walked down the road to the Mirror Lake trailhead. Not the most fun mile of hiking but going down hill as the first mile of the hike it's over with pretty quickly.

It was a snowy wonderland in the trees but so many people had hiked the trail the day before that there was no need for snow shoes.

It didn't take us long to reach Mirror Lake, we did the required loop around before continuing on up the trail.

Chizuru & Chiyoko testing the ice!

Onwards & upwards we went, looking back to see if Hood was going to pop out the clouds but the mountain remained hidden all day.

There was one person in front of us packing his skis up, but apart from him we seemed to have the trail to ourselves. The beaten path though was still good enough that snow shoes were still not needed!

Last few steps to the top!

Looking back down on the lake & along Tom Dick & Harry.

After a bite to eat we set off along the top of DT&H in the Direction of Ski Bowl, there were only 2 sets of snow shoe prints & a lone set of ski tracks from this point on & so our snow shoes were finally needed.

If we call the West bump were the trail ends Tom then this bump in the middle would be Dick!

Then it's down hill a bit...

Until you climb up to the highest point, Harry!

Looking back the way we came.

From here it was an easy walk along the ridge on the ski road to the top of the Ski Bowl lift. Last year when we hiked this loop we dropped off the ridge into the Ski Bowl Back Country & soon discovered that snow shoes are not the best option for travel on double black diamond ski runs ;) .. With still vivid memories of Gunsite Notch in our minds, this year we stayed on the ski road & took the leisurely long way down.

Though the lower lifts were running we were surprised to find that the upper lift was still closed, so with the exception of a handful of skiers who hiked up we had the top of Ski Bowl Mountain to ourselves.

Ski Bowl Mountain looking over to Multorpor Mountain.

We followed the winding road down to the 1936 Warming Hut

Looking back up the mountain we could see that the cloud layer was dropping.

From here we walked the last half mile or so back down to the parking lot. We had 7.8 miles & 1830' of EG on the clock.

Here are a few more of the photos we took accompanied with a story about a Tom, Dick & Harry ;)

http://youtu.be/KBwrZEWnfj0

The map below shows this years route in Red & last years in Blue.

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

rainrunner

Re: Tom Dick & Harry Loop Finally "snowshoeable" 2014/02/02

Post by rainrunner » February 3rd, 2014, 8:14 pm

Looks like you had a wonderful day in the mountains ~~ as usual! I always love the contrast of bright colored jackets against the white snow.
Ann
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » February 3rd, 2014, 8:25 pm

Lovely opening pic, Guy - and great idea for a loop (using the service roads). I saw about a dozen cars at the TH along US26, and was a bit surprised at how bold people were to park there! Not sure if ODOT has ever actually enforced their "towing zone" signage, but I didn't even think about tempting fate..!

Thanks for posting!

Tom :)

Crusak

Post by Crusak » February 4th, 2014, 6:18 am

It's finally looking like winter out there! :) Great pictures. I love the shot looking down on the lake.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

aircooled

Post by aircooled » February 4th, 2014, 1:31 pm

Thanks for the TR, Guy! I love this loop, but I hate walking the road. I did it in reverse and went backcountry from Mirror Lake down to Ski Bowl.

Here's the gpx:

http://gpsfly.org/g/2988

The photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aircooled/ ... 953617665/

raftingdog

Post by raftingdog » February 4th, 2014, 2:16 pm

do they tow if you park at old closed snow park?....they did when was legal but out of bounds signs for too far out of zone....your car is impounded and very expensive....its private business and wildly profitable......otherwise we would continue park at that site...I do not want to walk next to highway when snow plows doing their job

Guy

Post by Guy » February 4th, 2014, 5:20 pm

Thanks Folks,

Jeff, Yes I remember your report about that direct route & will check it out sometime. I was on my best behavior though on Sunday which means no (or very little) bush whacking ;)
I saw about a dozen cars at the TH along US26, and was a bit surprised at how bold people were to park there!
Yeah, I had similar thoughts Tom, for several weeks now since the signs went up people have been parking behind them as there was no snow & I think you could make an argument they were not breaking the rules as they were behind the signs. This weekend though they were clear parking violations as they were parked right where the signs said no parking. Not a chance I would take!

The road walk isn't great but not a reason not to do this hike, if you do this mile first it's downhill & over with in 20 minutes, I just look on it as travelling time to the trailhead.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors