Barlow Ridge Snowshoe

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
miah66

Barlow Ridge Snowshoe

Post by miah66 » February 3rd, 2014, 10:46 am

We finally got snow! First "REAL" snowshoe of the season, almost 12" of perfect powder, and we broke trail all the way up the ridge after leaving the Barlow Pass Sno-Park.

Looking back from US26 @ the big bend below TDH.

Shaping up to be a great day.

First look @ Barlow Butte:

Views start to open up and the trees clad in snow were amazing

The mountain even tried it's hardest to peak over the cloud layer as it hovers over the White River Canyon:

Does it get any better than this? Brisk and sunny with fresh snow and not a track in sight!

There were some really big trees too. Fluffy clumps of snow were silently falling from the tops as the sun warmed them. Huge smile plastered on my face all day.

At the end of the FS Road that traverses the ridge is one of the Cascade Huts, one of a trio that are run by concessionaire. Our destination for the night:

They are well appointed for a rustic night out. They even have a propane stove and lights. Here is a look inside:

After a gorgeous sunset and starshow in the evening, it started to cloud up in the early morning. Things had changed drastically by 11am.

It was still beautiful, but I was glad to have had the bluebird day to see the views that were now hidden in the gray mist.

Carissa ponders the jeep tracks that so rudely destroyed our track from the day before. Why isn't this road gated? :?

Returning to the trailhead it seemed many people had followed us in as the solitary footsteps we left the morning before had turned into a wide path of snowshoes and ski-tracks. With all the recent snow, who wouldn't want to be up here!

Wonderful excursion to the mountain and perfect timing! It's nice to be lucky every once in awhile.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

rainrunner

Re: Barlow Ridge Snowshoe

Post by rainrunner » February 3rd, 2014, 8:23 pm

Looks like you had a wonderful weekend. We've stayed in the Cascade Huts and I've also set up my tent outside another time. Your photos are stunning!
Ann
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » February 3rd, 2014, 8:35 pm

Beautiful photos & report, Miah! Thanks for posting!

The huts look warm and inviting... but I'm guessing the "restroom" is behind a tree...? I'll bet that makes a midnight trip "down the hall" BRUTAL..! :lol:

Tom :)

TeamReynolds

Post by TeamReynolds » February 3rd, 2014, 11:43 pm

Excellent report! So nice to see snow on the mountain... can't wait to get up there this week ourselves. Thanks Miah.
Lazy Chicken Adventures blog... HIBIKAY!

“The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.”
― John Muir

miah66

Post by miah66 » February 4th, 2014, 8:14 am

Splintercat wrote: The huts look warm and inviting... but I'm guessing the "restroom" is behind a tree...? I'll bet that makes a midnight trip "down the hall" BRUTAL..! :lol:

Tom :)
You are right about that Tom! The restroom is an outhouse about 500 feet from the the hut. 500 feet in 12" of snow in the middle of the night!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 4th, 2014, 9:39 am

miah66 wrote:
Splintercat wrote: The huts look warm and inviting... but I'm guessing the "restroom" is behind a tree...? I'll bet that makes a midnight trip "down the hall" BRUTAL..! :lol:
You are right about that Tom! The restroom is an outhouse about 500 feet from the the hut. 500 feet in 12" of snow in the middle of the night!
Yikes! Makes "behind a tree" sound downright commodious. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » February 4th, 2014, 10:48 am

Beautiful! Gotta love that oh-so-rare combination of fresh snow on the trees against a lovely blue sky! :D

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » February 5th, 2014, 10:09 am

Those are beautiful pictures. I'd almost feel bad disturbing that untouched snow. Almost. That looks like a really fun trip. I really need to make a winter trip out to Oregon.