Tomlike Mountain Try - Feb-1-2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
CraigG

Tomlike Mountain Try - Feb-1-2014

Post by CraigG » February 2nd, 2014, 9:32 pm

There was a vicious rumor going around that there was actually snow in the Oregon Gorge from this past week's precipitation :o. True? False? How much? Well, let's go find out!
Rigby (my Cocker Spaniel) and I lead a group of 12 folks from Herman Gorge TH with the hopes of getting to the Tomlike Mtn summit. Ambitious? Yes! Crazy? Possibly!
Snowshoes? No! Let's see how far we get! Let's fill up!
We got an alpine start from Herman Creek at 7am. Herman Creek trail was beautiful - creeks were higher than I remembered from 6 weeks ago. We saw small patches of ice pellets on the ground at 2200 ft elevation. We saw snow in the trees at about 2500 ft elevation:
Herman Creek outlined in snow is incredibly pretty.
Time for a snack at Cedar Swamp - where's Rigby?
There was the continual promise of sun to the south of us (we were under forest cover most of the time), but that meant more snow on the ground when lacking the cover of trees:
Herman creek trail was covered with 2-3 inches of snow at 2800 ft - we kept going.
An old growth tree had fallen across the trail. Time for some tree scrambling near the east fork crossing of Herman Creek:
At 3100 ft elevation, the snow was 4-6 inches deep. Some views to our east:
Someone actually passed us about 8 miles into the trail! We pressed on, and hit snow levels of 12 inches at about 3500 feet elevation.
At 9.5 miles south into the Herman Creek trail and 3620ft elevation, I called it and turned us around. We were about 2/10 of a mile from the Tomlike trail junction. The group gave it all they had, but it was better to hike another day:
We could actually see Tomlike summit, but I am sure there was at least 18 inches of snow going up to the summit, if not more.
Returning north on the Herman Creek trail, we enjoyed a sunlight show through the forest as water dripped from the firs above.
The person whom had passed us at the 8 mile mark passed us again returning north. He had to turn around due to (gasp!) snow levels shortly after seeing us the first time.
Mission accomplished! Rigby patrolling the trailhead (just as I took him offleash to get in the car). Nobody stealing gas under his watch!

Distance: 18.9 miles
Elapsed Time: 8:40:14
Moving Time: 7:38:01
Stopped Time: 1:02:13
Avg Speed: 2.2 mph
Avg Moving Speed: 2.5mph
Max Elevation: 3623 ft
Ascent: 4294 ft

Rigby got his bath, ate some food and went gently to bed. All returned safe.

MarsIsCobra

Re: Tomlike Mountain Try - Feb-1-2014

Post by MarsIsCobra » February 3rd, 2014, 10:43 am

nice post, Tomlike is one of my fav's

drm

Post by drm » February 3rd, 2014, 12:08 pm

So you see, last time on Tanner you made everybody bring snowshoes and there was no snow. This time you didn't bring them, and there was snow. Just like I told you. :lol:

CraigG

Post by CraigG » February 3rd, 2014, 12:20 pm

>So you see, last time on Tanner you made everybody bring snowshoes and there was no snow. This time you >didn't bring them, and there was snow. Just like I told you. :lol:

I thought I heard a voice laughing inside my head at the turnaround point. Must have been you. :lol:

It would have been nice to make it up to Tomlike with no wind on what was a clear winter day. Guess we will have to go back, but it might not be until early June. I can require snowshoes even then, just in case ;).