Coldwater Lake loop 1/24/14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
romann

Coldwater Lake loop 1/24/14

Post by romann » January 27th, 2014, 11:44 pm

Friday I had a day off, and went to enjoy summer at Coldwater Lake, on NW side of St Helens NVM. The road is currently open to Coldwater, but closed half mile past the lake turnoff, just beyond the Hummocks Trailhead. I did a complete circle around the lake clockwise, about 11.5 miles, with 1 mile on a road between 2 trailheads. Besides boaters and fishermen, I only met a group of two hikers going the opposite direction (they looked like Fred and Thomas, though I am not 100% sure).

Was surprised to see some snow on Minnie Peak, figured I won't see any

A brief stop at windy Elk Rock Viewpoint, a few miles from the lake, made me stick with lake hike (a plan B was to hike from Hummocks to JR Observatory). Note the dust around MSH - the hike to Observatory would be very windy and hazy. Coldwater Lake, on the other hand is in deep valley SW to NE, and was mostly sheltered from east wind.

Almost no snow at Elk Rock, at 3400'

With early afternoon start, the temps at trailhead were climbing to almost 60 degrees (as the day went on, it would warm up considerably near the lake). 30 miles earlier, it was 34F and intermittent fog in the valleys.

While mostly open hike, it's pretty lush & the trees did a good job reclaiming the area

The trail crosses this creek just below one waterfall and above another one. This day the creek was low, but after heavy rains it may be an obstacle to cross.

Oregon Grapes

They should've called this new lake a Green Lake

The bridge over Coldwater Creek about 5 miles in & the start of the climb

Jagged rocks at Minnie Peak up close

Head of Coldwater valley. That big rocky summit just right of center, which I always thought to be Coldwater Peak, is actually The Dome

The trail ascends on north side of the hill, and after 3000' elevation I started running into snow. By 3600' the trail was covered, but while the snow was very compacted it was also super-grippy and not slick at all (just when I passed snow area after sunset, it was starting to turn really icy). I've been on this trail in summer so it was easy to follow.

Snow and warm wind - it felt like June afternnon

Elk or Mountain Goat track? (note the 2 "spikes" behind large print)

I was a bit late (or early?) for huckleberries

Road-building or logging machine, destroyed by eruption. I just like to cal it the tank :)

Time to celebrate the inversion with Inversion IPA

Sunset on Minnie (I almost made peace with its name ;) )

It's getting dark fast

View to "real" Coldwater Peak. Not much snow up there

More old logging machines (wish I've taken a tripod)

Almost back at the car, I remembered the topic on PH earlier last year, where among other things it was discussed whether Monument Pass is needed to hike Coldwater Lake trail. I went down to trailhead to see what the sign says. Well, they do require it, and say to go JRO to get one (15 mile round trip from Coldwater Lake and back, which may add half an hour to the road time). Certainly the rule I'll try to forget by my next hike ;)

It's been another awesome day out in the hills :)

kepPNW

Re: Coldwater Lake loop 1/24/14

Post by kepPNW » January 28th, 2014, 6:48 am

Nice!! That is a really great loop. We were in the area on Sunday (next loop over to the south), and looking down at the trail coming up to "the tank." Decided that was the point to hit the ridgeline. Believe it or not, we had snow to walk on for about the next eight miles - all the way over to JRO. Pretty much everything above 4000'. The temps up there are just crazy, I agree. I'm still feeling a little crispy fried. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 28th, 2014, 8:08 pm

Mmm.... good stuff, Roman!

Your shot of St. Helens from that angle (with that beautiful, snow-covered west slope) makes it pretty easy to imagine/remember (depending on your age) what used to be. The new mountain is rugged and imposing, but the old St. Helens was SUCH a beauty to behold... it's still a pretty shocking change to absorb...

Thanks for posting!

Tom

romann

Post by romann » January 29th, 2014, 12:02 am

Karl - glad you didn't miss this short "summer" up there (on the other extreme, once I was snowed on near Coldwater Peak in June). That area is just awesome anytime of the year, and so quiet off season. Kudos on early start, too - I had to finish my hike couple of hours after sunset, but the night sky was something to see, huge stars.

Tom - I wasn't around before the big eruption but saw old photos of MSH, had to google them again. She definitely was very nice & seemed completely different mountain from what she's now:

Oops, I think you remember it like this :)

Do come to see Coldwater Lake, though not much views of what's left of MSH from the lake loop, the view of jagged rocks of Minnie Peak over the lake is pretty impressive (and perfect direction for sunset light photography).

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 29th, 2014, 6:36 am

romann wrote:Karl - glad you didn't miss this short "summer" up there (on the other extreme, once I was snowed on near Coldwater Peak in June). That area is just awesome anytime of the year, and so quiet off season. Kudos on early start, too - I had to finish my hike couple of hours after sunset, but the night sky was something to see, huge stars.
Agreed on the beauty of it. I've been now in January, February, March, June, July, October, and November. (Anytime someone wants a tour, in a month I haven't been, just ping me! :lol:) So far, I think I've only gotten stormed upon once, too. That's a lot of exposure, if you pick a crummy day to get up there!

We totally maximized daylight, yep. I suppose we could've been a touch earlier, but would've missed that epic sunrise from Elk Rock. I've come in with headlamp at the Hummocks/Coldwater before, too! This time, we had about 10 minutes of twilight to spare.

The stars are definitely amazing. We were admiring them through the car windows driving back down towards Toutle. How often can you do that?

Definitely rates as one of my prime "happy place" places. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Peder

Post by Peder » January 29th, 2014, 8:44 am

Elk or Mountain Goat track? (note the 2 "spikes" behind large print)
Given the size: Elk (or you have minute feet!)

Great pictures, thanks!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…