Polallie, Cooper Spur, Cloud Cap Loop - 2014/01/26

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Guy

Polallie, Cooper Spur, Cloud Cap Loop - 2014/01/26

Post by Guy » January 27th, 2014, 5:26 pm

Opening pic..

Sunday Chiyoko & I set off with our snow shoes in search of snow, & like a lot of other folks this year never took them off our backs ;) ..

We set off from the Tilly Jane Trail Head by hiking up through the very quite & closed Cooper Spur Ski Resort to the Polallie Ridge trail.

Chiyoko ready for takeoff :)

We had the Polallie Ridge trail & the glorious weather to ourselves.

The ridgeline at 5100'

We ran into a large group of folks playing in the snow not far from the Tilly Jane A frame & guessed they had spent the night there.

We continued on up the hill towards the Cooper Spur Shelter.

Still carrying those snow shoes!

We thought that we would have started to see a few other folks by now but we seemed to be the only folks heading up to the shelter in this incredible weather.

We arrived at the shelter to find one other person there who had spent the night & was just packing up & getting ready to leave.

Hot noodles for lunch!

As we were eating lunch we saw one other person skiing down from Cooper Spur but there didn't appear to be anyone else up on the this side of the mountain.

From here we put on our microspikes to make our way over the hard icy snow to the Eliot moraine.

We then walked down the snow free moraine to Cloudcap.

We were treated to the sound of rocks falling every few minutes on both sides of the Eliot as was we hiked down to the Cloudcap campground.

Cloudcap Campground.

[BEGIN RANT]

So the door latch on the Cooper Spur Campground Toilet had been broken for at least 3 years & people would have to use a rock to hold it open or closed. Neither the Forest Service or Camp ground Concessionaire saw fit to fix it in all that time. Well now it seems like the door has blown off it hinges or met with some similar fate. I wonder if it will be fixed now at much greater expense that it would have cost before!

[END RANT]

We walked up the road to check out the Inn which was all boarded up, the place really does have spectacular views in all directions!

Barret Spur from the Cloud Cap Inn Deck.

Next to the Inn is another building called "Snowshoe Cabin", there were some folks staying there. Does anyone know the story behind this cabin, like who owns it & can anyone stay there? Living conditions seeded to be far superior to the Tilly Jane A Frame ;)

From here we hiked down to the Tilly Jane Campground road junction. It seems the Salvage Logging operation (oh sorry, I mean danger mitigation) project along the road continues.

We hiked past the old Tilly Jane guard station & on to the Amphitheater were we met fellow Portland Hikers Team Reynolds! Great to meet you guys up there yesterday guys!

Now we just had the hike down the Tilly Jane trail to go!

Image Image
The magnificent Lone Ponderosa.

The only time we really needed our microspikes was the last mile of the Tilly Jane Trail down to the trailhead, where the many times trampled thawed & refrozen snow had turned to ice!

Back at the car just before 4:00pm we had 9.5 miles & 3000' of EG on the clock.

By contrast to our excellent day in the Sun the area just below the trailhead & down to highway 35 had remained in freezing fog all day long & looked like this!

A few more pics of the day here & a map below..

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Sean Thomas

Re: Polallie, Cooper Spur, Cloud Cap Loop - 2014/01/26

Post by Sean Thomas » January 27th, 2014, 5:58 pm

Wow, I love how the mountain looks through the burned tree tops. And the snow-toilet :D although its a drag about the door dilemma.

Thanks for posting about another one of your great adventures, Guy.

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » January 27th, 2014, 6:29 pm

We had thought of heading to Cooper Spur for the night, but there wasn't enough time. It looks like you had a fabulous day! The photos are great.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

TeamReynolds

Post by TeamReynolds » January 27th, 2014, 7:54 pm

It truly was a gorgeous day up above the inversion and it was a pleasure meeting you two as we headed down your up route. Wish we had the time and energy to get up as high as you did yesterday. BTW... Snowshoes were a MUST from Timberline trail down to where you two cut over to the TJ Trail. Thanks for the nice visit in the middle of our bird encounter. :shock:

Hope to see you both again sometime.
Lazy Chicken Adventures blog... HIBIKAY!

“The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.”
― John Muir

raftingdog

Post by raftingdog » January 28th, 2014, 9:59 am

Snow Shoe Club building.... little I know.... old Oregon Families

TeamReynolds

Post by TeamReynolds » January 28th, 2014, 10:21 am

Nice free form Haiku Dog.

If Rainrunner had made it up there it would have nearly been an official PH couples snowshoe day.

;)

― John Muir

Guy

Post by Guy » January 28th, 2014, 5:49 pm

Snow Shoe Club building.... little I know.... old Oregon Families
Nice free form Haiku
:lol: :lol:
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » January 29th, 2014, 7:37 am

Beautiful pics and crazy beautiful day for January on Mt Hood. I'm no history expert but I dug this info up:

From Jack Grauer's "Mount Hood: A Complete History"

"J. Wesley Ladd, Rodney Glisan, Dr. Herbert Nichols, and several other prominent Portland business men came to the north side of the mountain for winter snowshoeing and skiing trips. They organized the Snowshoe Club in 1904. Most of the members graduated to the use of skis eventually, but the name Snowshoe stuck. In 1910 they built a lodge on the ridge just north of Cloud Cap Inn. Mark Weygandt became caretaker and supervised the club's annual winter outings every year until 1926. When the Hood River Ski Club ran their first race, probably the first ever staged on Mt Hood, Weygandt finished first over the run from Cloud Cap Inn to Kirby Camp."

If you want to read more, you can purchase the book on Amazon for the low, low price of $220 for the first edition or $483 for the reprint :D.

I also found this link with some info: http://crag.org/wp-content/uploads/2010 ... Side21.pdf

And, pardon the additional link but I looked up Mark Weygandt and he has an interesting history in this area, including leading what may be the largest group ever to summit a mountain at one time on Mt Hood as one of his seemingly impossible 588 summits of the mountain: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... d=60066998
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 29th, 2014, 7:52 am

Beautiful pics, Guy! And thanks for documenting the "killer tree" logging operation... odd, those trees look perfectly solid to me, almost as if they represented no danger, whatsoever... :roll:

Thanks for the Cooper Spur fix -- didn't make it up there in 2013, which is a first for me in many years. I'll have to tackle the Polallie route in 2014 if the Forest Service is still "protecting" us from the dangerous killer trees along Cloud Cap Road.

Tom ;)

TeamReynolds

Post by TeamReynolds » January 29th, 2014, 9:15 am

I'll have to tackle the Polallie route in 2014 if the Forest Service is still "protecting" us from the dangerous killer trees along Cloud Cap Road.
Splintercat, even if the road is open you should climb the Polallie route if you haven't before, it is gorgeous and well worth it.

Derek

― John Muir