Aldrich Butte, Cedar Mtn, Table Mtn loop - Jan 1, 2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pablo

Aldrich Butte, Cedar Mtn, Table Mtn loop - Jan 1, 2014

Post by pablo » January 1st, 2014, 10:06 pm

Did the Aldrich Butte, Cedar Mtn, Table Mtn loop today. Both Aldrich Butte and Cedar Mtn are new for me as is the west ridge route up Table. I don't know how I've gone so long without doing this route - just goes to show what a huge resource the Gorge is for recreation and no matter how much you do there's always more.

I did Aldrich Butte based on a route handed to me by acorn woodpecker he's calling "Aldrich Direct." A narrow ridge approach from the south straight up to intersect the road just before topping out. A short off-trail excursion - be forewarned if you try this, I did run into a band of poison oak on the way up.

Just before the road, steep but a nice stair step on mossy boulders.

Nice views from a long narrow ridge.

Munra with Tanner in the background:

So I went straight up the front of Aldrich and to get off I went straight down the back to land on the Cedar Mtn trail. Saw glimpses of the falls - for a return trip. Cedar Mtn was a hoot with nice views from a rustic trail - will make a nice lower elevation loop with the PCT when winter finally arrives.

SnP rock from Cedar Mtn (I think that was where this was taken - could be from the west ridge of Table):

I got off Cedar to hook up with the West Ridge route up Table. Jeez, how have I not been doing this one, what a hoot and great views.

TCR, Lookout and Little Lookout Mtn. So I need to go back over my photos from TCR and see if I can spot this location.

Saw folks making their way up the boulder field.

The rest are just photos from Table in no particular order.

Saw Jeff in the distance.

Selfie

Around 10 miles, ~4500' EG, almost 7 hours of which about 1.5 hours were spent taking photos. Great day, one of my newly found favorite hikes of all time.

From GE:

From NG TOPO

Last edited by pablo on January 1st, 2014, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

awildman

Re: Aldrich Butte, Cedar Mtn, Table Mtn loop - Jan 1, 2014

Post by awildman » January 1st, 2014, 10:16 pm

Fun! I haven't done the "Aldrich Direct" route, but I love this loop. It was a great day for it!
Rambling on at Allison Outside

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » January 2nd, 2014, 7:41 am

Pablo, great TR! Isn't this weather something? Just too nice to even think about staying inside. Thanks for the map. It finally explains the way trail I have seen several times that drops down the ridge line from where the PCT rounds the ridge, and the Table Rock / Heart Break Ridge trail heads up.

I'm going to have to try that "Aldrich Direct" route, looks fun.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » January 2nd, 2014, 8:05 am

Hi, I think you were the person I saw in the parking lot at Bonneville just as I started out. I was next to you in a green subaru out back. Thought you might be a phiker but was to shy to ask. Great report! I did a much shorter hike up to Greenleaf creek crossing and the small but quite wonderful waterfall there. I am between cameras so no trip report. :oops: Thanks for posting, it makes me want to explore the area even more.
Woodswalker

pablo

Post by pablo » January 2nd, 2014, 9:39 am

woodswalker wrote:Hi, I think you were the person I saw in the parking lot at Bonneville just as I started out. I was next to you in a green subaru out back. Thought you might be a phiker but was to shy to ask. Great report! I did a much shorter hike up to Greenleaf creek crossing and the small but quite wonderful waterfall there. I am between cameras so no trip report. :oops: Thanks for posting, it makes me want to explore the area even more.
Woodswalker
Hey woodswalker,

That was me, I had finished gearing up and was on my way over to say hi but you had departed by then. See you out there. Lots of stuff to explore in the Table Mtn area.

--Paul

pablo

Post by pablo » January 2nd, 2014, 9:45 am

K.Wagner wrote:Pablo, great TR! Isn't this weather something? Just too nice to even think about staying inside. Thanks for the map. It finally explains the way trail I have seen several times that drops down the ridge line from where the PCT rounds the ridge, and the Table Rock / Heart Break Ridge trail heads up.

I'm going to have to try that "Aldrich Direct" route, looks fun.
Hey K,

Thx, it was like late September up there. I got the GPX track for the Cedar Mtn portion from a TR Guy did a while back - I should reference it. The Aldrich route is good but for the band of poison oak so watch out if you decide to take a shot at it - I seem to have survived my encounter with no ill side effects.

--Paul

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » January 2nd, 2014, 12:15 pm

I zipped out quickly, since I'd spent a bit of time on a detour and hike, hike, hike, was flashing like a huge neon sign in my brain.Next time I'll say hi, Woodswalker