Ramona Falls, 31-Dec-2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
kepPNW

Ramona Falls, 31-Dec-2013

Post by kepPNW » December 31st, 2013, 9:53 pm

Not gonna do a long one here. Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy New Year! Been a wonderful 2013 on the trail, due in no small part to all the wonderful friends here! Totally looking forward to 2014. :)

We took one last hike for the year, today, up to Ramona Falls. Ran into one other couple, Jane and Bob, but that was it. Amazing day in the forest. Especially given it was that forest! We just wandered slowly up the northern route, taking a good handful of breaks along the little creek, to the main attraction. Lollygagged around there for awhile, enjoying lunch and taking a few photos. Wandered down to the old guard station, the roof of which is fully open now. Then just schwacked back to the fairy trail because it's so much nicer to return on than the one along the Sandy.
    The "Happy Hiker Dancers" wishing you all the best in 2014 from Ramona Falls!
There were a few stretches with some ice, but not many and not really hazardous with some care. Just head upstream from the usual Sandy crossing to find a number of very easy fallen log options. This trail is just infinitely more enjoyable when you're all alone up there. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

hikerbot

Re: Ramona Falls, 31-Dec-2013

Post by hikerbot » December 31st, 2013, 10:15 pm

How was the river crossing, without the bridge? I was going to head down to Silver Falls tomorrow, but this looks tempting. :)

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 31st, 2013, 10:40 pm

hikerbot wrote:How was the river crossing, without the bridge? I was going to head down to Silver Falls tomorrow, but this looks tempting. :)
Easy! Just keep going past the normal u-turn that leads to where the bridge was, and drop down into the canyon about 50-75 yards farther down. There are (at least) two very straight-forward ways.
20131231_6547_sm.JPG
Maybe easier to cross, with multiple logs, but harder to exit canyon.
20131231_6652_sm.JPG
Easy in/out of canyon and (if not icy!) not slippery at all.
Karl

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » January 1st, 2014, 9:43 am

LOL at first I thought there was something wrong with my eyes when I opened the TR. But those happy tails swishing back and forth is priceless! :D

Zia

Post by Zia » January 1st, 2014, 11:59 am

Sounds like a wonderful way to end the year! I've never been there as of yet. Went once but rain and not a clear idea of where to cross the river stopped us that day. This will be a must hike in the next year now that I am a little more knowledgeable and have better maps to go by.

rick6003

Post by rick6003 » January 1st, 2014, 6:06 pm

Hmm do you think the road might be passable up to Top Spur? Got a hankering to go see Snow Dragon again.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 1st, 2014, 7:15 pm

Sean Thomas wrote:LOL at first I thought there was something wrong with my eyes when I opened the TR. But those happy tails swishing back and forth is priceless! :D
Everyone was having too much fun, and it shows, eh? :D
Zia wrote:Sounds like a wonderful way to end the year! I've never been there as of yet. Went once but rain and not a clear idea of where to cross the river stopped us that day. This will be a must hike in the next year now that I am a little more knowledgeable and have better maps to go by.
We picked this hike because of the rain in the forecast! Great place to go in those conditions. You never know about crossing the Sandy, but right now it seems pretty straight forward. Those logs could be really nasty with a coating of ice, of course, unless you've got your microspikes along. :)
rick6003 wrote:Hmm do you think the road might be passable up to Top Spur? Got a hankering to go see Snow Dragon again.
Best I could do is guess, and I'd have to guess that there's a pretty fair chance right now of getting up there. Especially with a good winterized car. I've seen some photos of rutted ice, but it did look to be breaking up, and it was sunny up there again today! Dunno what the incoming storm holds. We saw patchy snow on the hillsides about 500' above us when we were at the Sandy Guard station. But there was very darn little - none, virtually - at the levels we were mostly at.
Karl

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » January 1st, 2014, 7:25 pm

Happy Tails in '14 Karl, Kam and Alison! :D

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 1st, 2014, 7:55 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:Happy Tails in '14 Karl, Kam and Alison! :D
:D
Karl

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 2nd, 2014, 8:39 am

"Hmm do you think the road might be passable up to Top Spur?"

Someone up there recently. Trip report?

Snow/ice on the road, maybe need 4WD or whatever.

You could probably drive most of the way in regular vehicle, then walk the last