Tilly Jane Snowshoe (sort of)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
roadtripmom

Tilly Jane Snowshoe (sort of)

Post by roadtripmom » December 30th, 2013, 7:45 pm

tilly1.jpg
Ready for another adventure
We reserved two spots at the Tilly Jane A-Frame for Saturday and Sunday night. It was, um...ah...interesting. The snowshoe/ ice-shoe/ mud-shoe up was alright, but we missed the fluffy snow for sure. Micro-spikes would have been perfect. We arrived at the cabin and introduced ourselves to the other groups and set up our bags in the big loft upstairs. There was a fire going in the wood stove and the cabin was fairly cozy. We made our dinner and drifted upstairs fairly early. One group was quite loud and we couldn't fall asleep for a while. There was even a short flair up between groups. Awkward :shock: !

Sunday was fabulous !
tillyj2.jpg
Practicing for bigger things
tillyj6.jpg
The summit ! And then it disappeared.
tillyj7.jpg
tillyj16.jpg
Mt Adams
We snowshoed up to the Cooper Spur shelter and the views were sublime as usual. We met one of the other cabin groups there and enjoyed their friendly company.
On the way down we tried out my camera's jump shot mode. We failed, but the giggles overcame us. :lol:
tillyj8.jpg
tillyj9.jpg
tillyj10.jpg
tillyj11.jpg
tillyj12.jpg
We wanted to get back to the cabin for a snack and coffee then practice some Z-pulley skills behind the cabin. As we were finishing our coffee, the first person of a large group entered the cabin for the night. I was not thrilled, to be honest. :roll: We went out back to play our rope and carabiners and when we re-entered the cabin over an hour later there was stuff everywhere ! :| It was a bunch of folks celebrating one young man's 30th birthday and actually, they were very nice and welcoming. The cabin smelled amazing ! They hauled up a giant camp stove and all the fixings for fajitas, including homemade tortillas ! Impressive ! The evening was much more pleasant than the night before, but sleep eluded me until late anyway.
We hiked out in the morning on the icy, muddy trail and stopped in Hood River where the awesome guys at Les Schwab pulled a screw out of our tire and patched it up in a jiffy. I highly recommend them.
tillyj13.jpg
tillyj14.jpg
tillyj15.jpg

If you got tired reading my ramble, here are the facts.....Mt Hood needs snow badly. :D
Filling my bucket, one hike at a time.
Amanda

Splintercat

Re: Tilly Jane Snowshoe (sort of)

Post by Splintercat » December 30th, 2013, 10:28 pm

Nice report, mom! Love that last photo - says it all! :lol:
We reserved two spots at the Tilly Jane A-Frame for Saturday and Sunday night. It was, um...ah...interesting.... We arrived at the cabin and introduced ourselves to the other groups and set up our bags in the big loft upstairs.
So how does that work, exactly? Sounds a bit list a hostel... which isn't my favorite way to spend a night somewhere (with perfect strangers snoring around me). :?

This is the barest I've seen the mountain this late in the season, but it's close! Yikes! :shock:

-Tom

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 30th, 2013, 10:36 pm

yeah, same here, not my favorite way to spend evening

maybe it was on weekend, mid week would be less busy?

maybe those shelters at Willamette Pass or Santiam Pass would be better?

raftingdog

Post by raftingdog » December 31st, 2013, 4:27 am

as charming as Tilly Jane A-frame looks ................. its a drafty barn never had chance to stay in the other place up there more enclosed and private

aircooled

Post by aircooled » December 31st, 2013, 3:03 pm

Been there, done that several times. It's nice to have the base camp up there and then head up to Cooper Spur, but crammed in there with 20 people is a bit much, the pit toilet is just gross and there's no water source. You have to melt snow. Of which there isn't much now!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 31st, 2013, 3:25 pm

Can't you get drinking water from that stream? Maybe 1/4 mile away

aircooled

Post by aircooled » December 31st, 2013, 8:25 pm

retired jerry wrote:Can't you get drinking water from that stream? Maybe 1/4 mile away
In a normal winter, it's a bit tricky to get down there. Steep snow banks. But now, maybe yes!

TillyJaneCabin

Post by TillyJaneCabin » January 2nd, 2014, 8:38 pm

Hello, I help manage the Tilly Jane cabin and am interested in hearing more about your unfortunate stay. I have the records of all trip leaders. It would be best to talk off line or outside of this public forum. If you were the trip leader, please provide me with your first name and I'll reach out to you or you can contact me at: [email protected]. I look forward to hearing from you. We are doing our best to make sure everyone has the best possible experience possible.

Andre'

Peder

Post by Peder » January 2nd, 2014, 8:51 pm

Welcome Andre! That cabin has a lovely location.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

potato

Post by potato » January 4th, 2014, 8:12 am

I was just up there on the 2nd/3rd. Read about that fajita party in the logbook. We had better luck than you - our party of 7 had the place to itself and it was a great time. It snowed maybe an inch overnight, which made melting snow and hiking down a lot easier.
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)