Angel's Rest December 19th, 2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
forestkeeper

Angel's Rest December 19th, 2013

Post by forestkeeper » December 20th, 2013, 10:11 am

Hello everyone. New to PH and hiking buddy Glenn and I hit the Angel's Rest Trail Thursday morning. We originally wanted to start at 8 am but due to slick roads where I live, we got going at about 9:30 am. The weather was just beginning to clear up as we parked the car at the TH.

The trail up was in pretty good shape. A bit mud sloppy in areas and frozen in others.
angels_rest_beginning_ph-1.jpg
Here's a view of Coopey Falls.
Coopey Falls_ph-1.jpg
Coopey Creek
Coopey Creek_ph-1.jpg
After downing a Diet NOS energy drink on the way to the TH, we had to make a pit stop. Here's Glenn fueling up with crackers.
Glenn Eating Crackers_ph-1.jpg
Even though you have to look through a lot of snags and scrub brush, the views of the Columbia Gorge are breathtaking!
Snags on Angel's Rest_ph-1.jpg
Angel's Rest_ph1-1.jpg
Once we were on top, the views were endless. Here's Angel's Rest awesome rock formations.
top_of_angels_rest1_ph-1.jpg
If you look closely, Glenn is on the rock outcropping.
glenn_at_top_ph-1.jpg
And a couple more photos of the Columbia.
viewsfromangelsrest1_ph-1.jpg
You can see Sand Island, part of Rooster Rock State Park, on the lower left and the Camus Wood Mill steam clouds on the center right.
viewsfromangelsrest2_ph-1.jpg
And here's a cool bench to sit on and enjoy the views.
benchonangelsrest_ph-1.jpg
The weather was very nice but cold. With the wind up on top, the wind chills felt incredibly low.
We traveled 5.15 miles with an EG of 1,450 feet.

Roy

Re: Angel's Rest December 19th, 2013

Post by Roy » December 20th, 2013, 1:53 pm

[quote="forestkeeper"]Hello everyone. New to PH and hiking buddy Glenn and I hit the Angel's Rest Trail Thursday morning. We originally wanted to start at 8 am but due to slick roads where I live, we got going at about 9:30 am.
[quote]

Am I missing something "New" are you not Will?
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » December 20th, 2013, 2:52 pm

Hey Tom. No, I'm still Will. Glenn is a guy I go to church with. I encouraged him to join PH this week. Check out his bio. He's more of a backpacker and usually goes to Yosemite every year. I'm just a recliner local hiker. :lol: We are planning to hike to Half Dome sometime next year (2014.) He's planning on hiking the Oregon PCT also in 2014.

ForestKeeper (Will)

Koda

Post by Koda » December 20th, 2013, 4:08 pm

forestkeeper wrote:Glenn is a guy I go to church with. I encouraged him to join PH this week.
now thats what I call 'witnessing' ;)
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » December 21st, 2013, 3:11 am

:lol: Haha. Well, to me, PH is my favorite site and I'm always asking hikers and outdoor minded people if they belong to PH. I met Glenn a few months ago, in which he told me he loves to hike and backpack, so I encouraged him to join so he can meet other local hikers.