Abiqua Falls - 12/9

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
awildman

Abiqua Falls - 12/9

Post by awildman » December 10th, 2013, 11:10 am

We were shooed off the Canyon Trail in Silver Falls State Park by a ranger yesterday morning, so we decided to salvage the day and visit Abiqua Falls. We saw four other parties in the two hours we were there, but had the waterfall to ourselves for an hour. The day started cold, but by the time we got to Abiqua, it had warmed enough that large hunks of ice were plummeting down the falls and landing with a resonant BOOM! into the pool. It was fantastic!

Abiqua Falls basin

meeting Abiqua Falls for the first time

Abiqua Falls, 5 second exposure

Abiqua Creek N' Falls

The trail itself was easy enough to navigate, but the 2-mile logging road to the trailhead was very slick with compacted snow and ice (and steep and rough). Four wheel drive with winter tires is helpful; traction devices might be necessary if it gets worse. One party parked at the top of the road and walked down, which was probably a good call. There aren't many opportunities to turn around.
Rambling on at Allison Outside

Charley

Re: Abiqua Falls - 12/9

Post by Charley » December 10th, 2013, 5:16 pm

It's great to get to see such a commonly photographed landmark photographed in a new way (thanks to new conditions). With a lot of subject matters, unusual meteorological conditions can make for an interesting new view.
Cheers!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » December 10th, 2013, 5:18 pm

Wow....very nice pictures of Abiqua Falls. The pictures that you got at Silver Falls are really impressive too. It's a shame you got shooed out of there before you finished up. Thank you for sharing. :)
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

Zia

Post by Zia » December 10th, 2013, 5:21 pm

Amazing! I always wanted to go back when it was frozen over. How were the roads up there?

awildman

Post by awildman » December 10th, 2013, 6:05 pm

Zia wrote:Amazing! I always wanted to go back when it was frozen over. How were the roads up there?
The roads were fine up Crooked Finger. Once you turn off onto the logging road, it gets dicey. I did it in a AWD Subaru with non-studded winter tires and didn't have any problems. It was exciting going down the icy road, and I thought I might have problems getting back out, but it was fine. Carrying chains is a good idea.
Rustygoat wrote:Wow....very nice pictures of Abiqua Falls. The pictures that you got at Silver Falls are really impressive too. It's a shame you got shooed out of there before you finished up. Thank you for sharing.
Thanks! It was a good day for frozen waterfalls.
Charley wrote:It's great to get to see such a commonly photographed landmark photographed in a new way (thanks to new conditions). With a lot of subject matters, unusual meteorological conditions can make for an interesting new view.
Agreed. I thought it warranted a "conditions" posting because of the ice and snow. 'Tis the season! :)
Rambling on at Allison Outside

Zia

Post by Zia » December 10th, 2013, 6:35 pm

Thanks for the road report! We took a 2wd little truck when we went this past summer. Getting back out was kind of rough but doable, tho next time I think we'll just park at the ATV area and walk down heh.

cincodemayo

Post by cincodemayo » December 11th, 2013, 3:55 pm

Stunning!!!

Chizuru

mtnhiker56

Post by mtnhiker56 » December 11th, 2013, 5:11 pm

Very nice pics! We lived in Silverton until a few years ago and always enjoyed hiking at the falls (both Abiqua and Silver). Actually thought they were more beautiful in the winter. You captured that thought perfectly. Thanks for posting.

Gary

Craig Romano

Post by Craig Romano » December 12th, 2013, 8:43 am

Nice pictures-great job capturing the wintery mood!