Big Huckleberry Mountain 11.29.13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Krystle

Big Huckleberry Mountain 11.29.13

Post by Krystle » November 30th, 2013, 2:18 pm

It had been a while since I went on a proper hike, so on Black Friday I decided to go for the best bargain of all: A whole mountain to myself!

I got to the trailhead at 11am (the final 9 mile stretch took a good half hour in my non 4wd sedan). There was thin cloud cover. It was cold, but not wet or windy.

Mt. Adams peeking through at the first viewpoint, demonstrated by my hiking companion (and the ultimate photo bomber), Lobo.

We ran into some patches of snow on the way to Grassy Knoll.

So I decided to put on my NEOS overshoes, to keep my leather moccasins dry.

There were lots of mushrooms, but they were all past their prime because of the freeze. A sad chanterelle:

A lot of the trail looked like this:

My goal was to get to the summit by 2, and my reward would be taking the time to make myself a hot cup of tea. I got there at 1:30. Mission accomplished!

Then, back on down we went. There was one person just below the summit, before the junction with the PCT. That was the only human being we saw all day.

The sun started peeking through the cloud cover, making for some lovely scenery:

I got a little lost around Grassy Knoll. It seems I took a shortcut without realizing it, and ended up back at Grassy Knoll. Very disorienting. I had my GPS app but I failed to download the map for this trail. Fortunately, though, I had printed out the map and brought a compass and figured out where I needed to go. It wouldn't have been too hard because there are really only two ways out of Grassy Knoll and I knew which one I had come from, but I'm still wondering how I ended up going in a circle.

By the time I got back to the trailhead at 4, there was a nice sunset:

I went home, ate Thanksgiving leftovers, and took a hot bubble bath. Best Black Friday ever :)

Waffle Stomper

Re: Big Huckleberry Mountain 11.29.13

Post by Waffle Stomper » December 1st, 2013, 6:42 am

Best way ever to celebrate Black Friday.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

drm

Post by drm » December 1st, 2013, 10:54 am

Surprised you didn't run into more snow.

As to finding your way back. There are a number of trails in the vicinity of Grassy Knoll, and there also is usually some moderately steep snowfields across the switchbacks just below that could lead you astray.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » December 1st, 2013, 7:21 pm

Great hike and report, Krystle. That pano turned out really nice!

I remember that last long stretch of road to the TH taking a long time too. I wonder if coming in from the other end would be any better, but maybe not?

Krystle

Post by Krystle » December 3rd, 2013, 10:24 am

drm wrote:Surprised you didn't run into more snow.

As to finding your way back. There are a number of trails in the vicinity of Grassy Knoll, and there also is usually some moderately steep snowfields across the switchbacks just below that could lead you astray.
I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't more snow, but I could see how that would've made finding the trail much harder.
Sean Thomas wrote:Great hike and report, Krystle. That pano turned out really nice!

I remember that last long stretch of road to the TH taking a long time too. I wonder if coming in from the other end would be any better, but maybe not?
Thanks! I wondered that too!