Sedum Ridge Loop

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Sedum Ridge Loop

Post by bobcat » November 27th, 2013, 7:45 pm

This shady trail climbs up the Mowich Ridge, moving from Washington’s Yacolt Burn State Forest into the Gifford Pinchot and connecting with the Pacific Crest Trail. The loop I did took in these two trails plus a segment of the CG 2000 (Red Bluff) Road – about 10 ½ miles.

The most difficult part of the hike for some has been locating the trailhead and the beginning of the trail. I have been here before, so found it easily enough – 0.9 miles west of Step Creek Falls (where CG 2000 first crosses Rock Creek). There’s an obvious parking pullout on the right. The trail is not so obvious for the first few yards, but becomes so about 25 yards in.
Step Creek Falls, Rock Creek.jpg
Note: The last time I hiked the Sedum Ridge Trail, nine years ago, there was a trailhead sign and a sign at the junction with the PCT. Neither exists today. The trail does not see systematic maintenance and the worst blowdown is in the first quarter mile. About a mile up the trail and until the PCT, there has been some log removal from the trail and a little pruning. The trail tread is becoming overgrown with Oregon grape, red huckleberry, thimbleberry, and vine maple. About a decade’s worth of debris covers the trail as well.
Recent maintenance, Sedum Ridge Trail.jpg
Blowdown and footbridge, Sedum Ridge Trail.jpg
Heading in, you cross a broken footbridge (intact nine years ago) and then make your way up slopes and benches. This forest has not been logged and has been regenerating for 110 years, ever since the Yacolt Burn. Snags from the burn jut up in the understory, the largest one I saw being eight feet across. All the other footbridges on the trail are intact and, higher up, one crosses numerous small creeks and mossy seeps. The temperatures were just above freezing and ice had formed on the trail in places.
Broken footbridge, Sedum Ridge Trail.jpg
Big snags, Sedum Ridge Trail.jpg
Through the Oregon grape, Sedum Ridge Trail.jpg
DNR boundary sign, Sedum Ridge Trail.jpg
Icicle grotto, Sedum Ridge Trail.jpg
Just above the junction with the PCT is the ridgeline dominated by Mowich Butte. Abandoned FR 41 runs along here, but even though it was such a balmy day, and the views of the Washington volcanoes would have been splendid, I eschewed the temptation to go to the old lookout site: I had only begun hiking at 11:30 a.m. and needed to get back.

The PCT drops down along the valley of the North Fork Rock Creek. The trail passes right above one small waterfall, but there are several others more interesting down in the valley and better seen at this time of year when the leaves have dropped. Where the trail first gets close to the North Fork, you pass through a small grove of old growth hemlocks and Douglas-firs that somehow survived the 1902 conflagration. I reached the CG 2070 road and headed down to cross Rock Creek and follow CG 2000 for about ¾ mile back to the trailhead.
Tributary of North Fork Rock Creek, Pacific Crest Trail.jpg
North Fork Rock Creek, Pacific Crest Trail.jpg
Old growth Douglas-fir, North Fork Rock Creek, Pacific Crest Trail.jpg
North Fork Rock Creek near Rock Creek.jpg

Peder

Re: Sedum Ridge Loop

Post by Peder » November 27th, 2013, 10:07 pm

Thanks for sharing Bobcat. I have been wanting to go there for a while.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Splintercat

Re: Sedum Ridge Loop

Post by Splintercat » November 28th, 2013, 5:58 pm

Great report, Bobcat! The Steep Creek Falls photo is especially cool - I'm looking at the collapse upstream from the falls. Here's your photo (apologies for notation - hope you don't mind..!):

....and here's a photo from 2006. I've identified two small conifers (A & B) along the cliff for reference, but you can see that an entire section that was undercut has collapsed:

Makes you think twice about setting up a tent under that overhang during the summer low-water months...! :shock:

That canyon has been coming apart at the seams for awhile -- not positive, but it looks to be some sort of debris flow formation that is similar to (or possibly the same as) the Eagle Creek Formation. There's a cool spot just downstream (below the bridge) from there that has been dropping truck-sized blocks into Rock Creek over the past decade or so. Fascinating!

Thanks for posting!

Tom :)