Wyeth to Green Pt Mtn.....Cold! Nov-23-2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
CraigG

Wyeth to Green Pt Mtn.....Cold! Nov-23-2013

Post by CraigG » November 25th, 2013, 11:49 pm

Greetings -

The weatherperson said Saturday was going to be a cold, clear day, so we decided to take a little hike from Wyeth TH to Green Point Mtn. The campground was closed, so we parked outside the gates (first and only cars that day!) We started hiking at 7am Sat in 25 mph winds as the sun rose. The winds died down as we darted into the forest past the campground and onto the Wyeth trail:
Crossing Harphan Creek shortly after 7am:
Up the switchbacks, with temps around 30F, although it felt colder. Lots of pretty ice formations on this hike:
The ascent was dry. Lots of ice spikes jutting out from the trail. Our continued ascent through the morning:
We made it to the Wyeth/Green Point Ridge intersection in good time, but the winds reappeared in force, requiring us to don our balaclavas and other face gear:
Janice was rather animated at how cold it was. I couldn't quite make out her words - probably better that way:
It was very cold going up that last 700 feet to Green Point Ridge on Saturday! There were spots of packed snow/ice, maybe 1 inch deep, but nothing substantial. A little slippery - microspikes were optional here.
We get to Green Point (GP) Ridge - mostly 1-2 inches of hard packed snow/ice:
The air temp was about 24F up on the GP ridge. Fortunately, the trees protected us from the wind that howled above/around us. We got to Green Point Mtn summit at around 11:20am. It was clear, cold and fantastic. Defiance and Rainey Lake? Yes!
Mt Hood? Check! (Even Jefferson in the background - I think we could see North Sister beyond that?)
Adams and Rainier too (my photos could be better):
We could not stay long at the GP summit - too much wind. Have I mentioned it was cold also? Continued south and stopped at the fire lookout for a bite to eat - it was cold!
Descended northeast down Rainy Wathum where the wind thankfully stopped and the air temp rose 8F in about 3/4 of a mile - smiles all around!
Doesn't this remind you of ice cream, or maybe whipped cream? Did to me...
Stopped by Rainey Lake which was frozen over:
Walking on water?
Bits to make our own "Fortress of Solitude?"
More Rainey Lake views:
Over the short icy bridges adjacent to Rainey Lake:
Checking our "ice" topo map to confirm our route to North Lake. Good thing it is cold (28F) or we might be lost!
At North Lake - the lake is almost entirely iced over:
We offtrail it a little bit to get back onto Wyeth trail and head north in an effort to return before we run out of daylight. The forest gets spooky as the sun sets during our descent of Wyeth trail:
Defiance to our east as the daylight wanes:
At about 900 ft elevation, we saw this dented tanky-like thing just 50 feet offtrail:
Made it back before dark!

Hiking stats:

Distance covered: 19.4 miles
Total ascent: 5543 ft
Overall speed: 2.0 mph
Elapsed Time: 9:44:58
Low air temp: 24F

Green Point Ridge is still quite hikable - no snow issues on this hike. The lakes were simply beautiful.

kepPNW

Re: Wyeth to Green Pt Mtn.....Cold! Nov-23-2013

Post by kepPNW » November 26th, 2013, 6:38 am

Fascinating, the difference in temps just a few miles apart. I was over on Larch same day, and it was easily 20°F warmer up top! Granted, 700' lower, but that alone wouldn't make that much difference.

Anyway, now I see I need to get back up there again someday! We couldn't see 40' from the top, but it looks like there really are views worth hitting it on a clear day for. Great report! Very nice. :)
TripProfile.jpg
Larch temp profile, 11/23/13
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

CraigG

Post by CraigG » November 26th, 2013, 9:46 am

Greetings Karl -

Ah, I love graphs! The temp difference on that day was pretty significant then.

Also,

There were many long (> 6 inch) ice spikes coming out of the ground. Question: How do they form?

Thanks,
CraigG

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 26th, 2013, 10:55 am

CraigG wrote:There were many long (> 6 inch) ice spikes coming out of the ground. Question: How do they form?
Curious about that, too. I saw lots of them, as well, over along Multnomah Creek. These things, right?
    Most were rising straight out of the ground. This batch was coming from a hillside.
Karl

CraigG

Post by CraigG » November 26th, 2013, 11:14 am

Greetings Karl -

Yes - those things. Almost always seen on-trail, growing vertically up from below the dirt. Usually rather wavy. Odd. Now I am even more curious.

-CraigG

drm

Post by drm » November 26th, 2013, 1:21 pm

Well, lo and behold, those ice thingees on the trail are called needle ice. I've seen these a lot and was wondering. On seeing it mentioned here, I tried googling ice columns. Most finds were about large columns, but wikipedia, that great font of wisdom, solved the mystery.
wikipedia, that great font of wisdom wrote:Needle ice is a phenomenon that occurs when the temperature of the soil is above 0 °C (32 °F) and the surface temperature of the air is below 0 °C (32 °F). The subterranean liquid water is brought to the surface via capillary action, where it freezes and contributes to a growing needle-like ice column.

The ice needles are typically a few centimetres long. While growing, they may lift or push away small soil particles. On sloped surfaces, needle ice may be a factor contributing to soil creep.
needle ice on wikipedia

I would add that we may be seeing a lot more of them. The forecast for next week looks a lot colder than this week. A real arctic blast. Unless the ground turns to permafrost.

payslee

Post by payslee » November 26th, 2013, 1:52 pm

drm wrote:Well, lo and behold, those ice thingees on the trail are called needle ice. I've seen these a lot and was wondering. On seeing it mentioned here, I tried googling ice columns. Most finds were about large columns, but wikipedia, that great font of wisdom, solved the mystery.

needle ice on wikipedia

I would add that we may be seeing a lot more of them. The forecast for next week looks a lot colder than this week. A real arctic blast. Unless the ground turns to permafrost.
Warning - about to put my geek hat on....

Yep - needle ice can be really beautiful and it's amazing how quickly the needles can grow. Take some soaking wet ground at 35 degrees, get the air temp down to 20 at night, and the top layer will freeze and expand, always expanding upward since that's where the pressure is least. This pulls the water beneath it closer to the surface, where it freezes, and repeat...

In really cold climates plants and even small trees can get popped right out of the soil from the roots, and over time, freeze/thaw cycles can result in surprisingly uniform cryoturbation features called patterned ground. I did research on Alpine wetlands down in the Rockies in Colorado and got to know more than anyone not living in Greenland should about cold-climate soil features. Around here our mountains are typically falling down too much for cryoturbation to create persistent features but even the transient ones like this sure are beautiful.

-payslee
(Good hike Craig, and thanks for the reminder that I've been meaning to PDF that thesis for the last six years so that somebody besides my Mom can get some enjoyment from it :lol:

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 26th, 2013, 2:25 pm

Wow, once again, Wikipedia rulez!
drm wrote:
wikipedia, that great font of wisdom wrote:occurs when the temperature of the soil is above 0 °C (32 °F) and the surface temperature of the air is below 0 °C (32 °F).
That just totally correlates to what I saw. This stuff was only happening down below the level where the ground was frozen hard. Very cool! :)
Karl

CraigG

Post by CraigG » November 26th, 2013, 3:16 pm

Well done drm and payslee! Thank you!

My leading theory had been that it was Looney(tm) magic dust sprinkled on the trails. I guess we can file that as a lesser likely alternate theory.

There was a very high density of these crystals adjacent to Rainey Lake. It was as if we were stepping on spikes of glass.

Thanks!
CraigG