Elk Creek-King's Mountain Loop

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
roadtripmom

Elk Creek-King's Mountain Loop

Post by roadtripmom » November 25th, 2013, 9:05 pm

elkcreek1.jpg
Brrrrrrrr !
We left Vancouver before the sun rose and started out in the chilly weather at the Elk Creek Campground gate. We chose the Elk Creek trail and up and up we went until we reached the sunshine. Aaaaaaaaw, it felt so good ! This hike has been on my short list for a really long time and I was looking forward to the scramble especially.
It did not disappoint ! :P We thought that section was a blast and the rope added to the fun. I really have no idea how the two guys got through there with their bikes though. :o Impressive !! We enjoyed a leisurely lunch at King's summit in the sunshine and down, down, down we went. We ran into a gentleman near the bottom of King's doing trail work. He had been there all day and accomplished a ton ! It really made me smile. Everyone on the trail yesterday was smiling and loving the sun and the challenge. Go do this hike !

On the way home we stopped at Mcmenamins Grand Lodge in Forest Grove and relaxed in the fantastic soaking pool with a couple of cold Ruby's and then had an awesome dinner. I highly recommend it. The pool fee is only $5 !
elkcreek2.jpg
Almost to the sunshine.
elkcreek3.jpg
elkcreek4.jpg
Sketchier than it looks.
elkcreek5.jpg
Ice, ice baby
elkcreek6.jpg
Yahoo !
elkcreek7.jpg
Photo's never tell the real story.
elkcreek8.jpt.jpg
elkcreek9.jpg
The ferns were huge !
elkcreek10.jpg
Bog on the Wilson River Trail
elkcreek11.jpg
Nice Bridge
12.5 miles total (approx)
Filling my bucket, one hike at a time.
Amanda

Sean Thomas

Re: Elk Creek-King's Mountain Loop

Post by Sean Thomas » November 25th, 2013, 9:16 pm

Love the rope shots, rtm. And the comment about the happy trail worker and hikers. That area is a real gem.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 26th, 2013, 6:47 am

Those photos just yell, "Fun!"

Looks/sounds like a really great day. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Crusak

Post by Crusak » November 26th, 2013, 10:16 pm

Karl, Mayhem, Eric Peterson & I did that loop in the opposite direction awhile back. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Tackling the exposed areas on the back of Kings with ice on the ground must've been exciting!

It's no secret that I spend a lot of time in that area during the winter. It never gets old. :)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Roy

Post by Roy » November 27th, 2013, 9:57 pm

Fun report to read on a great trail thanks for sharing.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura